Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
ORexpat OP
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,791
It Stopped Raining In Puget Sound Today . . .

. . . and the honey-do list is almost up to date too!

After days of torrential rain and a finale of almost hurricane force winds, Huey the Sun God made his appearance in the Pacific Northwet this weekend, and a Sunday afternoon celebration ride was definitely calling. Marrowstone Island and Port Townsend seemed likely candidates for a couple of hours out of the house, so saddle up and fire up . . . a short winter afternoon's ride is just the ticket to lose those soggy blues.

Marrowstone has a air of more than a bit of what might be termed "counter-culture" but regardless of the lifestyle of some of the inhabitants, there appears to be a sense of humor in adversity . . . such as the top of a decently-sized Douglas Fir that ended up stranded in a powerline. (Note the rather intimidating fence in the background. While Marrowstone hosts it's share of alternative folks, there's one of the largest naval weapons stations on the west coast behind that fence. The yin and yang of the Puget Sound enhances it's fascination. I love the boats, the art, the homecrafted beer and cider--and buy my staples at the base commissary)!

The storm passed only a couple of days ago and the still-stranded broken top is already decorated for Christmas!

Most marinas up here, like almost all other bayfronts across the country, are home to too many ugly boats thrown together of frozen snot, gestated in a mold and popped out like an illegitimate platypus--often in grotesque forms. But Marrowstone Island and it's small sheltered bays often host handsome and honest boats of pleasing form. More fine-looking wooden boats around here than most places (outside Maine at least), since the NW School of Boatbuilding lies just a few leagues to the west.

The tiny town of Nordland, flanking the fine-looking cove called "Mystery Bay" is home to an oyster farm and bay views worth a sunny afternoon ride.

A boat this pretty surely rates a closer view.

There's even a small state park, complete with dock, to stop, pee, and photograph, though not necessarily in that order. A fine-lined powerboat rests here, with the appearance of the 1920's with it's vertical stem and once-bright cabintop. Too much bare wood though, just waiting to soak up more of the winter rain. Bottom's a bit weedy, too. A handsome craft like this deserves and needs TLC.

At over 48 degrees north latitude, the sun's not that far above the horizon and by 2 pm the afternoon light is beginning to glow a bit, backlighting the Olympic Mountains to the west.

Mystery Bay is a nice "hurricane hole," at least if the hurricane's from the south as the recent storm was. With such a calm and--for almost Christmas time--warm afternoon, a row seems like fine idea.

With so little breeze this afternoon, I'm suspecting a bit of sail-drying here, rather than heading out.

Just a short 1/2mile jog to the west lies East Beach and a small county park. Mt. Baker raises her lovely white head over Whidbey Island and Admiralty Inlet.

Coffee and a warm up in Port Townsend. Part hippy town, part retirement town, part shopping destination, part living history, and part blue-collar working town. Good coffee and a glorious sunset, complete with steam from the local paper mill in the background.

Sun's slipping behind the western hills in Beaver Valley, and the dew point's cuddling with the air temperature. As those two Puget Sound lovers begin to caress each other the mist rises over the open fields between the hills. It's only a 30 minute ride home and dinner calls . . .

I love it here . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
ghte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Just a lovely spot.
Cheers Mate
ghte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Mortech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Definitely took advantage of the weather this past weekend ..
Mortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,787
I can't wait to end my run here in New Mexico and make my way west. There might not be that many sunny days out that way. But it seems to me that quality more than makes up for quantity.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 436
Great shots of a beautiful area, thanks!

'12 BMW R1200RT
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 94
Nice

I love the riding in that area. Nice pictures. Thanks for posting.
dondesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Yeah, love the tree, it looks even more decorated today! Wonder how long it will be before it gets removed? Great pic’s! Live there myself, Hadlock. Take care and maybe we will see you around?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
ORexpat OP
Oregon Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghte View Post
Just a lovely spot.
Cheers Mate
Thanks; close to home and feels good to ride that way. Pretty. I ought to stop at the little store in Nordland and check that out sometime. Small places sometimes have "big" people--by which I mean "interesting, fun, good to meet . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortech View Post
Definitely took advantage of the weather this past weekend ..
Yeah! Pissing down rain again today. Port Townsend's in the rain shadow. You're in Shelton, around 65" rain a year. I live in Silverdale, a bit of 50". Port Townsend's usually around 20" per year. Sequim even less, of course. Part of what makes this country interesting. And if we want dry, it's just a couple of hours away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I can't wait to end my run here in New Mexico and make my way west. There might not be that many sunny days out that way. But it seems to me that quality more than makes up for quantity.
Last couple of summers since I retired and moved back have been fabulous. Literally weeks without rain, even on the west side. (But drought and fires on the east side . . . ). But the mountains and sea together . . . well,

Old 12-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
ORexpat OP
Oregon Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Great shots of a beautiful area, thanks!
Thanks! I grew up in eastern Oregon, much drier there. But this area's always appealed.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
ORexpat OP
Oregon Expatriate

Huh. For some reason both the single and multiple quote function just went Tango Uniform for me . . .

dondesmo--yeah, this a nice destination from Seattle. Three ways to get to PT by ferry, or up 101 along the Hood Canal. No bad rides . . .

Mcgee--I was surprised to see that tree top, for sure. The rest was sawed up on the south side of the road, must have been a big mess when it first happened.

So you're in Hadlock, eh? Nice location. Yeah, we should meet up some time. Coffee, at least!

Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 428
Thanks for the familiar-looking pictures...I grew up in Port Townsend; that was waaaay before I had any motos, but toured around just fine on my bicycle......
Old 12-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
ORexpat OP
Oregon Expatriate

Bicycles are cool; how's that old saying go? "Two wheels good!"

Lots of bicycle tourists up here nowadays. Saw one guy loaded down eastbound over the Hood Canal Bridge on this ride. Guess I should have taken his picture!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
TahoeRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
"It Stopped Raining In Puget Sound Today . . ."

I keep reading that, and still not buying it!

My grandparents lived in Hadlock for 55(?) years or so. Grandpa (Ralph Hargrave) helped build the church in town. Miss going up there - been about fifteen years now. Thanks for sharing the photos!
TahoeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
ORexpat OP
Oregon Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRob View Post
"It Stopped Raining In Puget Sound Today . . ."

I keep reading that, and still not buying it!

My grandparents lived in Hadlock for 55(?) years or so. Grandpa (Ralph Hargrave) helped build the church in town. Miss going up there - been about fifteen years now. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Yeah, it's raining today too. Has been for the last several days . . .

Here's a more normal winter view . . . and it really is in color.

The Olympics are somewhere in the rain over that ridge!

I'll look for the church in Port Hadlock the next time I'm up that way. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Thumb

Nice line.
Weather unlike Pendleton for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Sun's slipping behind the western hills in Beaver Valley, and the dew point's cuddling with the air temperature. As those two Puget Sound lovers begin to caress each other the mist rises over the open fields between the hills.

I love it here . . .
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote