User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,948
my maui adventures

alright, so a little history. i came to maui on a 3 month job call. 3 years later i have met the girl of my dreams .. adv "bikerchick22"

cool, i girl that rides! not wanting to be all talk, i bought a sport bike to ride with her

street bikes are "ok", a little painful, but we had some pretty fun rides together out here! lots of twisties!

so after a couple of years riding "street" together, we ran into what they like to call themselves "the maui dual sport club" ... WHAT? we finally after all this time found "our people" here!

they had some loaner bikes (tiny ones) and were willing to give my girl a shot at her first dirt rides ever! nothing could make her (obviously) or i more happy!

well the loaner bike situation was never meant to be a permanent fix to a bike junkie's addiction, so we went on the search and destroy mission to find us some "real bikes". success, we found what we were looking for! plated 450exc and a dr200se!

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

so after a little wrenching on our new to us, previously neglected dual sport machines, we were ready to see the side of maui i didn't believe to exist!

so this is it! labor day weekend 2013! our first dual sport maui riding experience ! all geared up and ready to explore!!

bikerchick22's first ever ride in the dirt on her own bike!!

found some little trail stuff on our own! here she is teaching the dr200 how to "lay down"

kicking some butt for a noobie!

loving life after our first time getting dirty together!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
rogerdodger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Nice one.

I lost my favorite hat in Hawaii, so if you see it please send it back, thanks!

Malaysia and Thailand

Nepal

Back home Georgia to Florida

its not what I do, its the way that I do it.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
nice pics and story
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

so we hooked up with a friend from the club and were shown a little more of what maui has to offer!

dirt roads to the top of the volcano!

when you are learning the new ways of dirt riding, the clutch and brake levers sometimes have a hard go of it! i fixed her all up (good as ne.... trail fix)

clutch is working well enough! it is beautiful up here above the clouds! notice all the switchbacks in the distance! lovely!!!

well this is as high as we got today! a new kind of riding will wear you out quick!

our guide greg had to try out a hill climb he had been eyeballing for a while now! i didn't have any protective gear with me so it was all greg! i will be back!!

so little miss tired bones and greg and i turned the beasts around at this point.. to continue some other day!

the wrecking was not over yet! this time into a car on pavement on the way home!! i don't think i will get many pics of my girl in the crash position? i can barely have the time to not just throw my bike wherever to help her.... creepy feelings! she was ok, and the driver of the car was freaked out a little too!

end of day two dirt for my girl! good day!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

so i had to make a super quick trip back to colorado for... im going to say... " political issues"... best part is i came back with tons of parts and pieces for the bikes!! got everything in order, and we were off again on our quest to learn/ find all the dirt riding maui has to offer! this time we are checking out the "west side!" learning to stand is a very good thing!

just up past the olawalu petroglyphs

found a nice little shady spot by a creek to have lunch!

getting lost in the pineapple fields somewhere above the pacific ocean?!

what a beautiful place to ride!

break time!! enjoying the fruits of our labor!

well ill be? found a little home made moto track to play on out by the light house!

found some little steep offshoots tward the ocean!! little dr200 is like a tractor in this stuff!!

and home again! man it is nice to have plated bikes!!!!!

more adventures to come!!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Nice one.

I lost my favorite hat in Hawaii, so if you see it please send it back, thanks!
man, i found your hat.... but i lost it again on the way home? ill keep looking!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
Looks like fun. I've been to Maui maybe 6-7- times since about 1980. Never ridden off road there. We did rent a 1980 Honda CB750F on our first trip over and then did 500 miles in about 5 days. Two years ago we moved to the Big Island of Hawaii. I would like to get a dual sport bike here. I've owned a bunch in about 52 years of riding.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
whitewater18
funhog

Oddometer: 455
great pics!!
where are you on Maui?
Our daughter lives in Lahiana and works for Fleetwoods on Front Street. We were there in April. Especially liked Hana!!

Joe
Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,014
Great report Mommer. It's nice to see some of the great riding that you guys have island side. Are you doing any diving or anything like that?

I see that you found a great riding buddy. Looks like she is game for just about any trail. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,111
NICE, Mommer! Glad you finally posted some pics!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,379
Great stuff Mommer!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,142
thanks for sharing!

looks rough over there! NOT!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater18 View Post
great pics!!
where are you on Maui?
Our daughter lives in Lahiana and works for Fleetwoods on Front Street. We were there in April. Especially liked Hana!!

Joe

living in kihei, good riding over on lahaina side for sure! there will some pics to come of that! as soon as my new buddies show me the "secret" spots!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
mommer OP
bring on the world!!!!

hana you say?

last day of our little holiday weekend, we went agian with our friend greg on a all the way around hana mission! checking out the dirt on the way!

every ride starts with a good breakfast! Paia town

the road to hana. dirt road/trail radar on full alert!

found a little black sand beach to ride out on! not hard sand by a long shot! melissa and the little dr just chugged right through it! i had to use the classic parking move i learned in san fransquito! bury that thing!

this is just a little island, so none of the roads go very far? but they are fun anyway!

beautiful views at every stop! this is the end of the road at lower naihiku. melissa found out how slippery a wet wooden bridge is just after this pic, and once again my "grab the camera first, assess the situation after awesome pic" protocol is on hold with my pretty little girl! all was ok except for the brand new clutch lever i just installed after the fall on poli-poli was bent into a pointing at the sky configuration? lesson learned in the past; don't bend it back, it will just break off! so a little perch manipulation and she was back in business!

found another little side road, if there is a locked gate, and a trail to the side with no "closed" sign its legal. right?

this nice little road got us into a pretty sweet little gravel pit! there were freshly bulldozed roads going step by step way up to the top a few hundred feet above! one of the best views i have ever had in hana! usually the jungle blocks all the sight distance?

greg and melissa at the old condemned pier in hana bay!

found this little fish joint in hana, perfect place for some ono tacos! my second favorite fish ever! and definatley the best tacos ive ever had in maui!

on past hana, somewhere along the dirt section of hana highway we found this little grassy 2track heading down to the top of a sea cliff! another sweet view

lots of time riding on the backside (plenty of off highway potential) and it was getting a little late, so the pix were on hold! but still had time to take a "we made it" break at the kula lodge! mmmm beer!

so on the way home we decided "why not ride through the cane fields" its a shorter less highway way to get home! only on occasion while traveling through the irrigation channels the little dr just didn't have the clearance or power to make it on her own!

well that's it for our labor day weekend! sounds like there is a little singletrack get together next sunday? might have to go see what this ktm is made of?

this place, after 3 years, has just gotten a lot cooler!