Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #136
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkertb View Post
Hey RadianRider,
I have seen pictures on your report a couple of times taken at Heritage Lake....which is where I live...give me a shout if you plan to be in the neighborhood. I'm subscribed to your thread and west of here is an area I wander often. May even try and warm the oil tomorrow after church if it warms up a bit
tom
Tom,
Nice to have another Hoosier following along. Seems like we've got quite a few riders in the area. Look forward to meeting you and exploring a bit further west.

Thanks for posting up
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #137
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

It was fairly warm today and I took the bike out just because I couldn't wait any longer. Supposed to get 2-5" of snow tonight and back to the single digit temperatures next week.

Stayed in the neighborhoods around mine. There is a LOT of sand on the roads and I didn't want to regret the decision to get the bike out by risking it and me by hitting a corner too fast.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #138
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb That's it.....

I am officially jealous and now feeling a bit intimidated. I really thought about getting the Guzzi out this weekend. This was the first one in what seems like forever that it wasn't either snowing or appendage freezing cold. I really wanted to but gave in to the need (I wimped out) to clean and organize the garage now that we're on the downhill side of winter. The Guzzi was bypassed in order to take care of more pressing needs (What??? Am I crazy???). I saw something in one of your posts about a ride or gathering of vintage bikes. Let me know more. Not sure if that is a regular thing or not but that would be right up my alley if it's open to truckers and the likes. Can't be to sure about those things nowadays..... Figured I would ask.
Hope all is well there. I enjoyed the bike pics with the snow piles. Good job there neighbor. Glad you went.
Stay safe there man..
Ken
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #139
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Ken! Good to hear from you! Have been wondering if you returned home safely. Very good to know you made it back.

I really only had the bike out for about 10 miles. It was warm enough, but there was so much sand and salt on the roads that I decided to keep it very short. Probably should have worked on my garage, but have to admit, that few minutes on the bike felt great.

The vintage guys are part of the Indianapolis Vintage page on Facebook. They get together on Tuesday nights for mexican food and a short ride. Everybody welcome, but it doesn't usually last long. All professions welcome--they even let me show up. No taste, apparently.

It might be fun to have the all the local riders on this thread meet up somewhere. Haven't met anybody that posts up here yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
I am officially jealous and now feeling a bit intimidated. I really thought about getting the Guzzi out this weekend. This was the first one in what seems like forever that it wasn't either snowing or appendage freezing cold. I really wanted to but gave in to the need (I wimped out) to clean and organize the garage now that we're on the downhill side of winter. The Guzzi was bypassed in order to take care of more pressing needs (What??? Am I crazy???). I saw something in one of your posts about a ride or gathering of vintage bikes. Let me know more. Not sure if that is a regular thing or not but that would be right up my alley if it's open to truckers and the likes. Can't be to sure about those things nowadays..... Figured I would ask.
Hope all is well there. I enjoyed the bike pics with the snow piles. Good job there neighbor. Glad you went.
Stay safe there man..
Ken
Old 03-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #140
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Hit the low '50's today so I took the bike out for a short jaunt. Interesting riding at this time of year. I am very aware of all the sand in the corners and all the potholes, so I ride pretty slowly.

Also aware that I've been off the bike for several months and my skills may not be all they should be. Still, good day to ride.

Last year at this time I stopped near a field and took a shot of my old GR650. Had no real idea that I was going to be in a position to buy a newer bike, but managed to get enough above budget to buy the SV. Decided to take a similar shot with the new bike. Makes me wonder what will happen in the next year.

I asked for and received a rear seat bag at Christmas. I liked the design because if looks pretty much like a regular seat cover when zipped down. I have a hard case to mount when I want more security and space, but this lets me carry items when I had not planned on carrying anything. I kept it zipped down and stuck my wallet and phone in it today. Empty it is a lot smoother looking.

This is the open position.

Back to cold weather tomorrow, but spring and longer rides are coming.

radianrider screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 05:22 AM
Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #141
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Hit the low '50's today so I took the bike out for a short jaunt. Interesting riding at this time of year. I am very aware of all the sand in the corners and all the potholes, so I ride pretty slowly.

Also aware that I've been off the bike for several months and my skills may not be all they should be. Still, good day to ride.

Wise thinking. Probably more should think of that after being off the scoot for a few months.

I asked for and received a rear seat bag at Christmas. I liked the design because if looks pretty much like a regular seat cover when zipped down. I have a hard case to mount when I want more security and space, but this lets me carry items when I had not planned on carrying anything. I kept it zipped down and stuck my wallet and phone in it today. Empty it is a lot smoother looking.

Good looking bag. How does it strap on? Who makes it?

Back to cold weather tomorrow, but spring and longer rides are coming.
Saturday we had bright sunshine and warmer temps. Got the goose out and burned a tank of fuel when I probably should have been working in the yard. Great to see you were out too. I didn't run into as many bikes as I thought I would considering the weather we had.
Stay safe and keep riding there man. Love the pics.
Ken
Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #142
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 394
Out & About

Radian,

Good to see you out and about. I had the KLR out on Saturday and twisted a few miles out myself. Still a lot of chaff in the corners and more potholes than you can shake a stick at. I managed to find some clean lines and get a little thrill but for the most part it was just tooling around and seeing how the roads were shaping up. We need a really hard rain to wash the asphalt. I didn't snap any photos but the ride sure helped to shake the winter blues.

Cool tail bag, BTW.

Ride Safe, JB2
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #143
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Good to hear you guys were able to get out on Saturday as well. I'm just waiting for spring break to arrive--and hoping for warmer weather when it does.

The bag is from Cycle Guys. It has a stretch fabric base and attaches under the seat with velcro straps.

They make a set of bags that mount up instead of down and they are supposed to work with high pipes. Trying to decide which would be less expensive--their bags or a lower pipe. Hard to put bags on for longer trips at the moment.
http://www.thecycleguys.com/sidemoun...system-suzuki/

radianrider screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 05:25 PM
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #144
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Good to see you're getting out!

Three of us took the KLRs out for several hours of pothole dodging Saturday. Sadly, not one damn pic.

Oh well.

This ride ended up far, far better than the last one in November, at least.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #145
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Good to see you're getting out!

Three of us took the KLRs out for several hours of pothole dodging Saturday. Sadly, not one damn pic.

Oh well.

This ride ended up far, far better than the last one in November, at least.
The good news in this is that you are back on the bike again, Brian! I had every expectation that you would be, but it is good to know for sure that you are on two wheels. Rough winter to be out in the garage on one leg rebuilding your KLR.

Dodging potholes is a good description of the riding around here these days. Just going to keep getting better! Still want to get together and have you check out the SV.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #146
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,825
I spent 34 years in the South Bend/Mishawaka area - arguably some of the most boring riding known to man coupled with the worst weather in the Midwest. South of Bloomington, however, is pretty nice and I look forward to exploring every time that I find myself up there.

Thanks for the great pictures and interesting commentary.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #147
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I spent 34 years in the South Bend/Mishawaka area - arguably some of the most boring riding known to man coupled with the worst weather in the Midwest. South of Bloomington, however, is pretty nice and I look forward to exploring every time that I find myself up there.

Thanks for the great pictures and interesting commentary.
Thanks for taking time to respond to my mild adventure thread. Seem to have found some kindred spirits I didn't know existed.

You are making up for lost time now! Some pretty country down that way. Always thought I'd like to ride up the west coast of Lake Michigan, but there is some less than thrilling riding between here and there.

Looks like my summer may be more open than anticipated as no students signing up for my summer course = more riding time! Planning to explore south of Bloomington some this summer and more southwest. Have plans to get to Putnam County and points west as well. Ahh, the anticipation of riding!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #148
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Looks like my summer may be more open than anticipated as no students signing up for my summer course = more riding time!
Looking forward to seeing your adventures.
Maybe now would be good time to kit up and prepare for some moto-camping once warmer weather comes.
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #149
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Looking forward to seeing your adventures.
Maybe now would be good time to kit up and prepare for some moto-camping once warmer weather comes.
I have my eyes on some bags for the bike, so that could happen A Cycle Gear store has opened up nearby, but haven't had time/money to spend for gear lately.

Missed a great day to ride yesterday (67 degrees) and back into the low '40's today. Need to spend some money for warmer gear too. My jacket will go from full mesh to insulated with fabric over, but my pants are full mesh. Not so great in this weather. No rain gear either. Could always spend more than is wise on gear.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #150
Jeco46
Breastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
East Tennessee

Recently moved to East TN from South Bend and am enjoying every minute of retirement here. Check out East Tennessee ADVriders on Facebook for some of our antics. After that, come on down and ride!

350 XCF W

RMX 250
Jeco46 is offline   Reply With Quote