Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #151
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 439
Any of you using a photo sharing site you like? Photobucket keeps changing photos I'ved edited on my computer and taking a lot of contrast and color out of my photos. Just looking for a better option. On to my random thoughts and pics.

Been out a couple of days, but there is not a lot to show at this point. We are deep in the "brown" phase of IN seasonal wonders. Fairly drab for a few more weeks. Some trees are starting to bud and you can see an underlying green in some areas, but brown is the uniform of the day.

Farmers a probably getting anxious to start planting, but I didn't see any out there yet. Saw evidence of gear being readied for the season, but the fields are still fairly wet. I hesitated to stop and take pictures because I was concerned about the side stand sinking into the ground and dropping the bike.

I did spot this little guy for sale

If you've read this thread from the beginning, you'll see a certain similarity to an earlier post with a tractor in it. I stopped last summer and met the guy who restores and sells the tractors. Nice guy. He has given away 11 tractors to people who helped restore them. He offered to do the same for me, but I have no place to store one--well, I have a friend with several farms and he would likely be happy to store it--but I have no particular use for one other than to own it. Might take him up on the offer to help restore them. Would be a great education in mechanical restoration and I could develop some new skills--always a good idea. Just so happens that I am not teaching a class this summer for the first time in 28 years, so I'll have extra time. May have to start a thread "Wandering through Tractor Innards" Stay tuned for further developments. Is there a Tractor Warriors section on ADV?

Anyway, on with a few pictures from this week.

During the ride with a friend last summer I stumbled into a little tiny community and I haven't been able to find it since. One of the difficulties of having no plan when you ride is that becomes difficult to figure out how you got where you were. (Bonus points to any reader able to parse that sentence and make sense of it.) I had spotted a little country church and wanted to get a shot of it--though my memory, formed at a higher rate of speed, had it looking better than it turned out to be. I was beginning to think I had wandered through Brigadoon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046807/) in the middle of IN as I just couldn't find the place again. Finally found it and got a picture. Wrong time of day for a great shot, but at least I found it.

As mentioned earlier, there is not much happening in the farming world just yet, so there isn't a lot to show you just yet. Here's proof.

I have a fondness for old abandoned barns and have to restrain myself from shooting a lot more of them than I do. ( Figure few of you would share my love of old abandoned structures. Concerned you'd get bored and go looking for a Wandering in Iowa thread.) I gave into to my impulse just once today. You do, however, get a few different edits of one this time just to show some different perspectives.

I always find myself thinking about the people who built the barns. The pride they must have felt, the work and sacrifice the construction must have required. What would they think now? What led the current owner to decide not to maintain the structure? How did it function in its day? (Like this one--what were the two matching doors used for? Pull in one and out the other? To what purpose?)

Ah well, the mysteries of life.

All for now. Hang in, all of you living north of here. Spring is coming and the riding will get better.

radianrider screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 06:02 PM
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #152
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 144
I took the bike out yesterday and Sunday. I'm probably going to ride it to work today also.
You're right about everything being brown. I took this photo Sunday, and tried bringing some more color out of it but it's just not there!

I used photobucket for years. I just recently switched to SmugMug. Even though you have to pay for it I think it's worth it.
(Shameless self plug) If you decide to sign up, put in this discount code: 6P3s3ybMqO59n

http://blue72beetle.smugmug.com/
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #153
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Thanks Blue72Beetle! Trying to avoid paying, but Photobucket is not getting it done for me anymore.

Really like your bike and the way you have it setup. I looked for a Wee when I bought the SV650, but couldn't find on in my price range. I think the "adventure" bike phase is keeping the prices up a bit. Happy with the SV, but the more upright riding position would have been nice.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #154
Falconpunch01
Fly and ride!

Oddometer: 92
Hey this is Brian from the rc field. Really nice to meet you and great bike! . We should go ride some time.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #155
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

So I was out briefly today. Only got about 35 miles in and took very few pictures. The ones I did get turned out to be a fellow ADV'er! Go figure!

I stopped at a place called The Black Sheep Squadron (a radio control airplane field.) Saw a bunch of people out flying their aircraft today and thought I get some shots. First person I met turned out to be Falconpunch01 (aka Brian.) Rides a DR 650 and is still young enough to have ridden to Lafayette, IN yesterday--about an hour each way on I-65. High temp was maybe 52 degrees--better man than I--I did almost nothing outside because it was cold.

Anyway, here's Brian with one of his other hobbies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BTg...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to the miracle of modern technology I had message from Brian waiting for me to get home. Nice to meet you as well, Brian. Great talking with you guys.

Short report on the last day of spring break. Back to work tomorrow, but it is supposed to warm up next week.

Until the next time.

radianrider screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 02:55 PM
Old 04-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #156
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconpunch01 View Post
Hey this is Brian from the rc field. Really nice to meet you and great bike! . We should go ride some time.
Lot of fun watching you fly that plane today, Brian. Looks like another hobby I'll have to squeeze in--my wife is going to love it.

Love to see your DR at some point.

Joel
Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #157
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

I heard the SV650 described as the Miata of the motorcycle world. I have mentioned my affinity for sports cars a couple of times in this thread, so I thought I'd throw up a shot of the SV650 of the automotive world.

My 10th anniversary edition Miata and my '91 (in background.) My son drives the '91. He waxed his today while I was out riding. Thought about washing mine, but the bike was calling my name. My rationalization was that it is supposed to rain tomorrow and Tuesday. Seemed like a sign not to wash the car.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #158
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Riding

Hey there Radianrider
Always great to see what you've posted. I had my Guzzi out over the weekend. Took it to church and then a short ride after that. I have to get a camera to carry with me and then remember I have it and get some pictures. Your introspective comments and good eye for scenes are great. I wouldn't hope to ever do that but looking back now, many things I've seen but haven't recorded. Keep posting there neighbor. The old barns and tractors have a special place in my heart.
Stay safe there man...
Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #159
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
Hey there Radianrider
Always great to see what you've posted. I had my Guzzi out over the weekend. Took it to church and then a short ride after that. I have to get a camera to carry with me and then remember I have it and get some pictures. Your introspective comments and good eye for scenes are great. I wouldn't hope to ever do that but looking back now, many things I've seen but haven't recorded. Keep posting there neighbor. The old barns and tractors have a special place in my heart.
Stay safe there man...
Ken
Good to hear from you, Ken. Glad you are making up for lost time on the Guzzi. Grab a camera and start shooting! I just shoot whatever catches my eye. Do the same and post it up. Be glad to see your part of the world.

radianrider screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 06:05 PM
Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #160
Falconpunch01
Fly and ride!

Oddometer: 92
You riding around tomorrow or sunday ?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 AM   #161
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconpunch01 View Post
You riding around tomorrow or sunday ?
Plan to ride, but not sure when. Some yard work to do first. I'll send a PM with phone number.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #162
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Been out several times since the last post. No pictures. Too windy or too cold to stop. I left my jacket liners at home on the last ride and froze for 90 minutes. Not all that enjoyable, so I didn't get in the mood to stop.

Today is in the '70's and I headed out about 11:00. First stop was the radio control aircraft field I showed you above. Lots of aircraft up today. Pretty cool stuff. Liked this one

This does not look like a successful day

Wandered on southwest and went through a small community. Saw an estate sale on the main drag in town (such as it was) and decided to stop. Turned out it was an old hardware store. Teenager said it was his great-grandfather's store--his father said it was a great day to ride and he wished he was. Didn't help much and told him it was great riding. Did spend $3.00 on a 12v inflator. May take the case off one at home and prep it for carrying in a saddlebag on longer rides. Did find a good use for my zip down tailbag.

Never one to be above a bad joke--I always wanted to go to Havard. Made it to Yale instead.

Saw a sign pointing to Hall and decided to go see it. Not much there.
Spotted this old church and most of you know I have an affinity for them--so here ya' go.

Had a moment there that reminded me of how screwed up the world is. I saw a couple of kids at the far end of the parking lot. Didn't pay much attention as I was trying to get the shot. One of them, about 10-11, came running up and wanted to talk about motorcycles. Clearly one of us, just early in his career. He wanted to tell me about his dad's bikes (Harley-D's) and about his bicycle that looks like one. The other kid wandered over and she just stood there listening. All I could think of was-"What does this look like? An guy on a motorcycle, clearly not from here, taking pictures of buildings and talking to kids." I know I wouldn't be thrilled if I looked out the window and saw my kids talking to some stranger. I got back on the road quickly. Sigh, "sorry kid--screwed up world says it isn't safe to talk to strangers OR kids--even about motorcycles. Hang in there, your ride is waiting just a few more years down the road."

Spotted this as I left the church parking lot.

With my season thoroughly greeted-- I headed for home. Great day to ride-hope you got out and enjoyed it too.

radianrider screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 04:04 PM
Old 05-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #163
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

So after an exciting track meet last night (my son ran a 9:49:02 3200 meter run to earn 3rd fastest all-time at his high school and win the race for the good guys--for those keeping score,) I had some time to myself today and headed out. No plan, as usual, though I should have had one as it turned out.

It is the kind of day in IN when your brain immediately connects the color of the sky and the type of clouds together and comes up with, "The Simpsons..." (no idea how to write that so it looks like you should sing the theme song in your head, but suspect you get the idea.) A bit cool at the start, so liner in, gear on and head out.

Found myself wandering west on U.S. 40, the Lincoln Highway-one of the first transcontinental roads, just to the south of home. Don't usually ride it because it is straight, a bit more congested than I like and somewhat boring. Just felt in the mood, so I headed west. Ended up invading jdfog2's territory. Thought about trying to contact him to meet up for coffee, but didn't have easy access to contact info. Next time I'll plan ahead and call early.

First stop was a place a few miles before Greencastle called The Putnam County Road Course. I've heard about the place from a Spec Miata racer-friend, but had never quite figured out where it was. Nice lady at the gate said it was a closed event today, but that motorcycle races are next weekend.

Looked like a Porsche club meet as all the cars I saw on the course were...Porsches. Figured that out without any help. I'm quick like that. Ignore the thumb.

Wandered on west, turned north on 231 and ended up in Greencastle. This guy has been holding the gernade at the ready for a long time.

The northwest corner holds a fairly surprising monument to WWII vets. A German V-2 rocket--one of two in the country with the other one in the Smithsonian--according to the marker.

Swung by DePauw University and snapped these.

I've decided I really like having the Cycle Guys tailbag on the bike. I threw my mesh gloves in with my wallet and left it half zipped on the way out. Stopped somewhere in town to buy some ear plugs and put the liner to my jacket in the tailbag. There when I want it, nearly invisible when I don't. Nice addition to my riding gear.

Not quite the rural setting it appears. A shot from the other side of the bike.

A note on the ear plugs. I bought them because I had heard a discussion on The Pace Podcast about how loud even the quietest helmet is. Thought I'd pick some up and try them out. Bought the green squishy kind and slapped them in. Did reduce the wind noise, but at the expense of allowing the basso profroundo noise of the Scorpion slip-on to become very intrusive. I like bass (I play electric bass, after all,) but I'm not sure I like the Scorpion slip on while wearing ear plugs Too loud. Kind of strike two for the pipe--it is too high to allow for easy luggage installation and now it is too loud. Don't really want to spend money for a quieter pipe, but have to do something.

Later, y'all.

radianrider screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 06:09 PM
Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #164
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,411
cool thread, and nice pics.. when you were stopped in hall you were maybe 10min from my place.

keep wandering on......

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #165
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220 View Post
cool thread, and nice pics.. when you were stopped in hall you were maybe 10min from my place.

keep wandering on......
You win the "better riding" portion of the Indiana lottery, at least when compared to Avon.

Hope to see you out there a some point.