User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #91
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 439
Not a ride, but it was a trip.

MotoGP is back in Indy this week. One of the events that just gets bigger all the time is Motorcycles on Meridian. Meridian, for those unfamiliar with Indy, is the main street through the city. It bisects the city, north to south, with a huge traffic circle in the middle of town (hence the nickname Circle City.)

I have always wanted to go downtown to see the event, but I have little interest in riding down. If you've read this thread you know where I like to ride--where few others do.

I had to attend a dinner for work at the Columbia Club and it happens to be on the northeast side of the Circle. Excellent! There were bikes already parked outside when I went in at six, but nothing prepared me for how many where there when I came back out. I didn't go north of the circle, but east and west had an entire block full of bikes (streets are closed to cars.) It extended several blocks south on Meridian. Absolutely amazing.

The crowd was really mellow-at least while I was there, and the typical bike prejudices didn't seem to matter. Ducati's next to H-D and Victory, SuperMoto's next to 'Busa's, vintage bikes lined up next to three-wheelers--didn't see any SV650's (though I bet they were there) and not one GR650 (wouldn't be there were any there--rare bike.)

Enough chatter, let's go to the pics! (The shots are a bit grainy; the lighting really challenges the automatic iris on the camera. I'll add a short video after it gets done uploading.)

It was a strange crowd south of the Circle. GenCon is in town. GenCon is a huge convention of gamers. They dress up in costume--the more fantasy game related the better--and play games at the Convention Center for several days. (Do a quick search for photos.) Not the typical mix-with-bikers crowd. It made for a strange scene when the gamers started mixing with the bikers. Pixies next to leather-clad H-D riders, Klingons next to full-leather sportbikers, etc. A lot of fun!

Did see one face plant just off Meridian. A metric cruiser (maybe an early Intruder?) rider was impatiently trying to get through a bunch of GenCon'ers on the crosswalk. They had the right of way, but he rev'd it up, they parted like the Red Sea and he dumped the clutch. Launched the front wheel up, scared him, he yanked the clutch back in and dropped the front wheel. It landed turned to the left and the bike lurched. Scared him some more so he cracked the throttle again. Launched the front again, the pillion fell off the back and he low-sided. Bike slid across the street, the pillion slid on her hands and knees and the rider on his butt. They weren't going real fast, so unlikely that permanent damage was done. They were both up and walking as I left the scene. Bet there was an interesting conversation after they got home.

"Just had to a be all Bad, didn't you!"

"But, Hon! I was just being cool and everything!"

Ah, well--I was young once.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #92
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

http://youtu.be/Scc2YRYiiKc

Nothing fancy, just some radom shots to show the atmosphere downtown last night.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #93
PharaohScoots
Twist-N-GO

Oddometer: 42
Nice post Radinrider. What an outstanding weekend to ride here in the Mid-West.

I am a new inmate, but couldn't resist posting my video link of the Motor-scooters on Meridian. I liked the Kaw Mach III too.

http://youtu.be/ABpt9-UdOQc
PharaohScoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #94
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Cool stuff, PharohScoots! You got there long before I did and I intend to get there early next year-assuming the MotoGP is back.

Welcome to the ADVRider madness. It becomes addictive.

Got out for a ride this afternoon. I have a few pictures on the internal memory of my camera, but can't find the cable to get them off the camera. Usually use a card.

Not sure anything could have done it justice today. The light was just golden and it was unusually beautiful.

I have to confess I never thought I wanted to live in Indiana--grew up in Maine and Michigan--but IN has been a great place to raise a family. There is a subtle beauty to it at times that can be captivating. Tonight was one of those times.

Rode through several small towns and was struck by the wisdom of the home builders from years gone by. Lots of big porches on those old homes. I love sitting on the porch reading a good book with a glass of ice tea. Our house is new-ish and the porch is adequate, but barely. Too bad there was nobody sitting on the porches. They don't know what they are missing tonight.

Was out in the middle of nowhere and a rider passed going the other way. I waved, as is my habit, and got the cold shoulder. Made me laugh in my helmet.

Okay, whatever. No, my bike was not made in a northern U.S. state. About 30 minutes later, headed back home on an entirely different road I saw a bike heading toward me. "I wonder, same guy? Still has the tassels streaming from the handlebars--bet it is."

Felt like waving frantically to see if that might generate any excitement. Settled for nodding gravely at him. He gave me the cold stare down. Man, life is too short to determine somebody's worth based on where their ride was made, or even what kind of ride it is.

The Ural rider 200 yards behind him waved happily. That was a cool rig.

Look for an SV rider waving at you PharohScooter. Pull over and we'll talk about about our respective rides.

Life is SWEET, y'all! Have fun and ENJOY IT!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #95
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Sunday afternoon ride

Got a quick nap in, typical Sunday afternoon, and hit the road for about 50 miles.

Ended up in Lebanon, IN. I was here a few weeks ago with my nephew helping him look over a bike he wanted to buy ('85 Nighthawk 450--he bought it,) and decided to come back on the bike.

This the Boone County Courthouse.

I was interested to see that Lebanon is home to a Carnegie Library. I've always loved libraries. I get nervous if I don't have three or four books in the house that I haven't read. This example of the type is a beautiful place. May have to go back when it is open.

I spotted a historical marker in the parking lot of a Family Video and stopped for a shot. It didn't upload yet, but I'll add it later. Apparently Abraham Lincoln stopped here on his way to D.C. in 1861.

On the way home I noticed this place and turned back the "way-back machine" for a few shots.

I liked the place, so you get to look at a few shots of the joint. I'm of the opinion that every kid deserves to grow up with the sound of a wooden screen door slapping shut as the spring "sproings" as part of their memories. Just the way it should be. Wouldn't hurt if they knew what penny candy and a cold 7-Up from the ice barrel just inside the door tasted like as well.

Judging from the price of a gallon of gas, been a while since the place was in business.

Until next time! Semester starts tomorrow and riding time is greatly restricted.

radianrider screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 04:48 PM
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #96
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

A few more

I found some shots on my card that I hadn't used yet.

I was out running around south of home and came across an old church. This being Indiana, there was a basketball goal for the youth group.

Took the bike out Labor Day Sunday and wandered a bit aimlessly. Could just about feel the anticipation of harvest. The fields are ready and the harvesters will soon have this place looking pretty bare. The only advantage is being able to see cars approaching stop signs and blind corners.

This makes me wonder why the owner wrapped the barbed wire around the post and left it there long ago. Did he forget it there? Just decide it wasn't needed? Change from raising stock to raising crops so the fence as no longer needed? Ahh, mysteries.

Several posts back I put up a picture of a friend on my old bike. Mentioned the scary house behind him (clearly abandoned years ago.) Rode by the same spot today. Not there so much.

All that remains is this old barn off in the distance.

Took a left turn into the past at some point. Didn't see the Sheriff, but spotted his car.

Till next time!

radianrider screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 04:08 AM
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #97
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Nice report and pics Radian (as usual) :)
Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #98
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Hey Radian, cool little thread ya got going here. If/when you decide you want to get to Brown/Morgan/Owen and more southern counties give me a shout. I live on the north end of Brown and get around a fair bit. I'd be more than happy to help you explore around down here

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #99
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Love Brown County, but have been there mostly in the Miata. Haven't been down on the bike this year.

You live in beautiful country, BigEasy.

Commuted to work today. Nice country, but I really hate feeling like I need to get somewhere by a specific time. Guess I'll keep the bike for those special moments when I get to wander.

Stay safe out there and ENJOY your rides!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #100
Fullcyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I couldn't let ya get one up on me. lol..
We headed up to Lebanon today for the Back to the 50's car show & thanks to your thread had a nice, neat, little place to stop & take a photo along the way...

Thanks for the tip, & Have a great day, Jeff...
Fullcyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #101
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcyc View Post
I couldn't let ya get one up on me. lol..
We headed up to Lebanon today for the Back to the 50's car show & thanks to your thread had a nice, neat, little place to stop & take a photo along the way...

Thanks for the tip, & Have a great day, Jeff...
Great shot! The bikes look great!

Haven't been on the bike for a week (bad back flared up last Sunday and I am finally starting to feel like myself today.)

Spent most of the day at a crosss country meet watching my son run.

Thanks for posting the shot, Jeff!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #102
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,287
Get rested up and come on down south

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857353

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #103
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Get rested up and come on down south

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857353
That looks like a seriously good time!

Missed a couple of riding days due to back issues, but couldn't stay off the bike on Sunday. Figured the Colts would win or lose whether I watched or not (turned out I was correct,) so I geared up and headed out.

Weather was perfect and I just wanted to ride, so very few pictures today. Ever had one of those rides that you wish could go on for days? Bike running great, mental attitude being adjusted properly and everything just feels right? That was this ride. Really didn't want to come home. Can feel the riding days running out this season.

My son, a high school senior, runs cross country and I'm not missing any of his races. Feel those days running out as well and I will miss them when he leaves for college. Limits my fall riding time so my Sunday afternoon rides are really important to my mental health

I had written on Labor Day weekend about the harvest fast approaching. It has started.

This crew was running two combines. The other is lost in a cloud of dust at the other end of the field. Won't be long until all the fields in the area have returned to the brown hues seen about 7-8 months of the year around here.

I'm originally from Maine. Pretty sure they make these a lot bigger out on the coast, but this one appears to be effective. Haven't heard of any maritime disasters in central Indiana of late.

Realized that I hadn't loaded one of the photos from the Lebanon ride that I had said I would upload. The site where this is located is just south of the downtown area.

Until next time.

radianrider screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 03:26 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #104
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 86
small world

Small world. one of your beginning pictures was about 4miles from my house in indiana. i live about 15 minutes from avon. in clayton south of us 40. i also miss the motorcycle rally in indy so much... im currently in texas at an AFB. So i missed it this year. going to colorado in february and hopefully find something like this. i absolutely love these kinds of events. you should come on down to texas once in awhile and ride some of the roads out here. avoid highways though. try some of these roads.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920533
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #105
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Been through Clayton many times, just haven't taken any pics. Let me know when you'd like to be homesick and I'll post up a few .

I have dreams of longer trips, but currently that would mean southern Indiana or northern MI. Texas would be a bit of stretch. Riding does look good there, but not sure the SV would be the weapon of choice to get there. Your BMW would be a better ride for that distance. (At least until I can get some bar risers on the SV and a better seat.)

Thanks for your service (grew up near a Strategic Air Command base during the Viet Nam era and knew a lot of Air Force families.) Have a great time in TX and CO.