Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #106
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 445
Well, the ride I last wrote about was not a good idea. Thought my back was doing better, but ended up in significant pain for the next two weeks.

Used the time to put some Bikemaster bar risers on the SV. I think I mentioned that I had never ridden an SV before I bought this one. I had thought the riding position would be more like my Yamaha Radian- an upright UJM bike. It really is a lot more sport oriented than the Radian.

The bar riser worked very well on this bike, at least for me. Way more comfortable when combined with the Daytona bars I put on early this summer. The bike just felt right today. Easy to corner and almost disappearing under me. Excellent!

radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #107
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

I spent much of the last few weeks being dad. College daughter's car died a sudden death.
"Well, your number two piston is slapping around inside the cylinder head and cylinders three and four have lost compression. You need a new engine."

Uh, no. Not spending that much on a car showing rust and which has been smacked in the front and back at various times. So, precious riding time was spent looking for a good used car. Man, have prices gone up since I last bought one.

Anyway, having done that deal and having spent most of Saturday changing plugs, wires and assorted other small details, I took about 90 minutes out riding today. Would love to have had longer, but midterm grades are due this week and I should have been grading.

Beautiful day today and this scene caught my eye. http://s291.photobucket.com/user/old...bf51.jpg.html][/URL]

Just off to the left of that was a stream meandering through the farm.

I spotted this across the road at an earlier stop. Pretty impressive how the tree just absorbed the wire (well, I thought so anyway.)

Took this one, but it is asking a lot of cell phone to really capture the scene. It is several miles across this valley, but the camera really doesn't capture what I wanted to show you. It'll have to do.

Really love this time of year. Not sure I could handle living where the season's don't change. On the other hand, if it stayed at this temp (low 70's) I could handle it. Going to be cold and snowy before long and I'll be back reading ride reports "from away" just to feed my soul.

Either that or I'll have to buy a snowmobile and head north.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #108
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Was just out riding here in Mi. thinking the same thing (beautiful today,snow soon)

As I was riding my head kept reminding me all the things I need to do to my bike this winter.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #109
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Radian

As always, top notch report!

Took yesterday off and went with the wife to the Covered Bridge Festival.

Man, that has gotten pretty tacky since the last time I attended!
We went to Mansfield, the wife informs me that Bridgeton is a lot more quaint and "crafty" vs. Mansfield which was basically the largest junk flea market I've ever attended. (They do have a bridge and roller mill there)
Jay
Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #110
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 60,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Took this one, but it is asking a lot of cell phone to really capture the scene. It is several miles across this valley, but the camera really doesn't capture what I wanted to show you. It'll have to do.

Valley? How do you distinguish it from the rest of the flat ground around it?

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #111
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
RadianRider if you ever rode a WeeStrom, you would not want to get back on that SV ever again. The CURE for the sore back blues is the ADVenture bike
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #112
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Radian

As always, top notch report!

Took yesterday off and went with the wife to the Covered Bridge Festival.

Man, that has gotten pretty tacky since the last time I attended!
We went to Mansfield, the wife informs me that Bridgeton is a lot more quaint and "crafty" vs. Mansfield which was basically the largest junk flea market I've ever attended. (They do have a bridge and roller mill there)
Jay
My impression exactly. Decided if I wanted cheaply-made Chinese crap I know where to get it after my first trip. Make that only trip. Better things to do.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #113
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
Valley? How do you distinguish it from the rest of the flat ground around it?
Okay,, maybe you had to be there...but there was a definite sorta dip and rise.

I'm blaming the camera.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #114
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
RadianRider if you ever rode a WeeStrom, you would not want to get back on that SV ever again. The CURE for the sore back blues is the ADVenture bike
Maybe, but I've got this one dialed in pretty well at the moment--and I enjoy looking at it. Try that with a Wee!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #115
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Got out for about an hour yesterday. It has been rainy and cold much of the week, but yesterday was pretty nice. The temps have been dropping pretty steadily the last couple of weeks and it hit the low '60's (an upswing) in the afternoon.

I decided to try the Givi windscreen I got with bike to see if it helped keep the cold off a bit. Pretty sure I don't care for it. Hard to say for sure because it as really windy and I was getting shoved around a lot. Not sure if the windscreen helped or hurt with making the ride more comfortable, but I don't think it helped with the stability.

Ended up in Jamestown-somewhat west of here. Only took a couple of shots. Riding time is getting short and I was just enjoying being out.

I stopped for gas and some power food. Okay, a bottle of water and Peanut M&M's.

Spotted this guy across the street but he wasn't much of conversationalist.

Hope to get some more riding in, but Semi-state cross country is next Saturday and my son is competing. If they make State they will be running the following week. Guessing the days to ride will be few and far between unless we get really lucky.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #116
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
Maybe, but I've got this one dialed in pretty well at the moment--and I enjoy looking at it. Try that with a Wee!
, Yup, one really ugly bike..... They actually look better after you load them with farkles. They take on a kind of military look then.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #117
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
Hey, I know that guy... how you doin'?

Central Indiana does have certain charms. It's always worth going for a ride!
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #118
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

buls4evr,
I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to invade Canada. To be honest, I was looking for a Wee when I bought the SV. Couldn't find one I could afford or I'd have one. Better suited to the rides I have in my head, but I'm really pleased with the SV.

Hey, Bwringer! Long time! Now have two Strom riders in here, better limit my comments on the looks.

Keep meaning to stop by and let you take spin on the SV, but assumed you'd be out riding if I was. Quite a different beast from the GR. Took some time to get used to it, but it is a great bike.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #119
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
buls4evr,
I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to invade Canada. To be honest, I was looking for a Wee when I bought the SV. Couldn't find one I could afford or I'd have one. Better suited to the rides I have in my head, but I'm really pleased with the SV.

Hey, Bwringer! Long time! Now have two Strom riders in here, better limit my comments on the looks.

Keep meaning to stop by and let you take spin on the SV, but assumed you'd be out riding if I was. Quite a different beast from the GR. Took some time to get used to it, but it is a great bike.
Canadians are so lonely they WANT you to invade. Ever see the Forest Ranger on the Red-Green show? You can't get away from them, they want to talk you leg off
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #120
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Canadians are so lonely they WANT you to invade. Ever see the Forest Ranger on the Red-Green show? You can't get away from them, they want to talk you leg off
Things must have changed since I was a kid growing up in Maine. A lot of them weren't all that thrilled to see us when we went skiing in New Brunswick.

Snow flurries this a.m. in Indy. Time to winterize? Waffling on that point.

My nephew just got his '85 Nighthawk 450 in reasonable running order and he is out riding in that "just got a bike" euphoria. I may end up riding with him a bit just to help him get used to street riding. This is his first bike and he passed the MSF over a year ago. Taken awhile to get a bike and I want to make sure he gets the difference between riding in a parking lot and riding on the street.