User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #121
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Hey Radian Rider,

Great thread...thanks for sharing. Brings back a lot memories... As a kid, I spent a lot of saddle time exploring the country roads around southern Indiana.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #122
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Snow flurries this a.m. in Indy. Time to winterize? Waffling on that point.
Lots of great riding in November even up here in the northern part of the state. Not yet man, not yet. Was hoping to maybe get your way one weekend soon and have ya show me around your neighborhood.
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #123
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 150
I've been riding my DL to work everyday this week. And last year I rode my SV up until Christmas day. Although it was a pretty mild winter last year.
blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #124
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 453
Well, I usually don't do anything to the bike that would prevent me from riding if we get a mild day. Witness the Christmas Day pix in the thread.

My weekend time has been a bit limited due to my son's participation in his high school cross country team for the last four years. It ended today, one week early. Needed a sixth place team finish to compete at the state meet and they came in seventh. He's hurting emotionally and I feel like I am in mourning. He's the last one home and I really feel like something has ended that I didn't want to see end. Sigh.

I am getting old. :)
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #125
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Sunday afternoon ride

Well, bright and sunny, low 50's and it was on!

Rode last week with my nephew and a friend's son. It was a lot of fun wandering the usual west side of Indy with them, but they weren't in the frame of mind to stop for pictures--and neither was I. It had been pretty lousy weather for a few weeks and I just wanted to ride. Spent most of the ride assessing their skills--very new riders-- and thinking about what they needed to know to ride safely. (They did pretty well, but lane discipline needs work as does spacing.)

This week--on my own. Time is really getting short this season, at least with the gear I currently own, and I just wanted to get the most out of the time available.

I actually did get lost for a bit today. Headed west, turned a bunch of times and wound up somewhere southwest of here. Spent about 20 minutes completely unsure of where I was. Ha! Mission accomplished!

I have written about how the area changes once harvest is underway. The riding is actually easier when the corn is down. I can't see what is coming around corners for a good two months, but that problem is solved for now.

Can see a long way now.

Not pretty, but it's the price paid to feed half the world.

Took the good camera today and played around with the HDR (digital resolution enhancement) settings. This one is mild.

This one is wild.

This is the natural setting. I think I prefer it.

Eventually I figured out where I was and headed home.

Hope your day was as fun. 'til next time, be safe.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #126
JB2
Open Road

Oddometer: 394
Fall in Indiana

Radian, Good to see your update. I actually like the change of seasons as I can tell you do too. In some ways I don't even mind the barren farmlands. Having said that, you should know that I have found a soft spot in my heart for the Great Plains and their vast, barren landscapes. I've been shaking down the new KLR on some of the backroads around here and have found several single-track gravel and dirt roads. Maybe not ADV worthy but grungy enough to upset most asphalt riders. I've still to capture enough time to post up my latest photos but many props to you for keeping your Wandering in Indiana thread alive!
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #127
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2 View Post
Radian, Good to see your update. I actually like the change of seasons as I can tell you do too. In some ways I don't even mind the barren farmlands. Having said that, you should know that I have found a soft spot in my heart for the Great Plains and their vast, barren landscapes. I've been shaking down the new KLR on some of the backroads around here and have found several single-track gravel and dirt roads. Maybe not ADV worthy but grungy enough to upset most asphalt riders. I've still to capture enough time to post up my latest photos but many props to you for keeping your Wandering in Indiana thread alive!
Thanks, JB2! I do it just because I find some degree of fun in it.

Checked out your website--I think I'll spend a lot of time there where you get it fully functional!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #128
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Thumb

Just found this thread, and very thankful for it!

I relocated to Indy for work from Ithaca NY, haven't brought my $50 cross-country veteran XS500 out here yet, but am dead set on it now that I dig deeper and start appreciating the sort of riding to be had in Central/Southern Indiana. I went camping near Brown County State Park in the HNF this fall and was amazed at some of the excellent scenic and twisty roads I encountered.

Love the low key local riding you're doing, it's exactly the sort of riding I plan on doing here!

As far as your SV650 ergo woes, I tried my friend's out once, same as yours, I was expecting "standard" ergos but found myself very cramped at 5'11." Fantastic motor, but not a comfy laid back tourer in stock form!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #129
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS View Post
Just found this thread, and very thankful for it!

I relocated to Indy for work from Ithaca NY, haven't brought my $50 cross-country veteran XS500 out here yet, but am dead set on it now that I dig deeper and start appreciating the sort of riding to be had in Central/Southern Indiana. I went camping near Brown County State Park in the HNF this fall and was amazed at some of the excellent scenic and twisty roads I encountered.

Love the low key local riding you're doing, it's exactly the sort of riding I plan on doing here!

As far as your SV650 ergo woes, I tried my friend's out once, same as yours, I was expecting "standard" ergos but found myself very cramped at 5'11." Fantastic motor, but not a comfy laid back tourer in stock form!
Welcome to the neighborhood! Have a thread on the cross-country trip?

There are some great roads south of Indy and I've enjoyed a few of them. Usually in a Miata. Haven't really wandered there on a bike just yet, but I will.

Part of the fun I've had with this thread is finding fun places to ride and unexpectedly interesting things to look at where most don't expect to find them. Plan to get a bit further out from home this next summer.

I've come to like the SV a great deal. Mine had Buell footpegs installed when I got it. Never felt at all that my legs were cramped. The more aggressive riding posture was mostly because I leaned over to reach the bars. I solved that with the addition of some bar risers toward the end of the season. The seat is a bit uncomfortable, but that can be resolved if I decide to throw some money at it. So far other things have been more important, so it must not be too bad.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #130
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood! Have a thread on the cross-country trip?

There are some great roads south of Indy and I've enjoyed a few of them. Usually in a Miata. Haven't really wandered there on a bike just yet, but I will.

Part of the fun I've had with this thread is finding fun places to ride and unexpectedly interesting things to look at where most don't expect to find them. Plan to get a bit further out from home this next summer.

I've come to like the SV a great deal. Mine had Buell footpegs installed when I got it. Never felt at all that my legs were cramped. The more aggressive riding posture was mostly because I leaned over to reach the bars. I solved that with the addition of some bar risers toward the end of the season. The seat is a bit uncomfortable, but that can be resolved if I decide to throw some money at it. So far other things have been more important, so it must not be too bad.
Yeah the "cross country on a $50 bike" has made the rounds of the internet:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=XS500

that same Yamaha is the one I've kept around and restored somewhat, and I think it'd fit the laidback riding in Indiana pretty well as well as a back road commuter up near Zionsville. Ideally I'd get something larger in the $2k range like a Bandit 1200 or a Nighthawk 750 so I can carry my gf on some short weekend camp-and-rides. I bought and sold a number of bikes back in NY that would have fit the bill ('78 GS1000, '99 KLR650, 01' Bonneville) but hindsight is 20/20. I'll definitely be in touch if you're interested in organizing some rides this coming riding season! BTW those Tempters are really growing on me. Still not the most aesthetically pleasing things to my eye, but I love the simplicity and cadence of an aircooled parallel twin. Don't they have some sort of dual mass flywheel to help smooth out the low end response?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #131
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS View Post
Yeah the "cross country on a $50 bike" has made the rounds of the internet:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=XS500

that same Yamaha is the one I've kept around and restored somewhat, and I think it'd fit the laidback riding in Indiana pretty well as well as a back road commuter up near Zionsville. Ideally I'd get something larger in the $2k range like a Bandit 1200 or a Nighthawk 750 so I can carry my gf on some short weekend camp-and-rides. I bought and sold a number of bikes back in NY that would have fit the bill ('78 GS1000, '99 KLR650, 01' Bonneville) but hindsight is 20/20. I'll definitely be in touch if you're interested in organizing some rides this coming riding season! BTW those Tempters are really growing on me. Still not the most aesthetically pleasing things to my eye, but I love the simplicity and cadence of an aircooled parallel twin. Don't they have some sort of dual mass flywheel to help smooth out the low end response?
The GR650 (hate the name Tempter) is a fun bike. The dual mass flywheel is designed to slide apart at 3500 rpm to lessen the load on the bike at higher rpms while making it easy to ride at low rpm. In practice, you'd never know anything was happening. The transition is completely seamless.

I need to put better springs in the forks (a lot of dive under braking), but the bike is just so easy and comfortable to ride that I am having a hard time wanting to sell it. Too cold to work on it at the moment, but I have plans to address some cosmetic issues this spring (polishing the engine side cases and painting the tank/side panels).

Truth is that the SV is always going to the first choice--a friend had more time on the GR last summer than I did--but I just like the old gal enough that it is hard to contemplate selling it. It really is a perfect companion for just bopping along secondary roads and taking in the sights.

Check out the Indianapolis Vintage group on Facebook if you are into the older bikes. Some guys capable of doing some great restoration on older bikes. The usual "have to bob/cafe/chopper" crew there as well, but some just really love the old bikes and work to get them back on the road.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #132
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Just checked out your thread. Remember reading it and loving the journey when you posted it. Just forgot your username
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #133
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Something about Indiana

I have made it to page 6 of this thread,and I must say that you have captured the way I feel about riding in the country. IN is just different than Darke county OH about 2 hours East of you. The best way I can describe it is go back in time 40 years where I live and you are in rural IN

I had to make a run to Muncie to get a tool and it turned out to be a hundred miler in temps from 45 degrees to 35. On the way back,I happened upon a car caravan followed by the school bus going to a basketball game. Squint your eyes a little,and it was right out of the 'hoosiers' movie. Just that perfect golden light with the sun at your back.

The entire ride was back roads [on purpose] and I went by the old general store in Bartonia IN that was a great find as a resaurant a few years ago,and it was a life saver that it is back in business. Fish fry night and the place was jumpin' with people who work for a living. A guy in a Harley coat met me at the door as I was going out and he was pretty impressed that I was riding in the cold, so I just smiled and told him that times are hard and it saves me money.

Anyway,keep up the thread. You are capturing the spirit of why I like to ride the back roads.
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #134
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
I have made it to page 6 of this thread,and I must say that you have captured the way I feel about riding in the country. IN is just different than Darke county OH about 2 hours East of you. The best way I can describe it is go back in time 40 years where I live and you are in rural IN

I had to make a run to Muncie to get a tool and it turned out to be a hundred miler in temps from 45 degrees to 35. On the way back,I happened upon a car caravan followed by the school bus going to a basketball game. Squint your eyes a little,and it was right out of the 'hoosiers' movie. Just that perfect golden light with the sun at your back.

The entire ride was back roads [on purpose] and I went by the old general store in Bartonia IN that was a great find as a resaurant a few years ago,and it was a life saver that it is back in business. Fish fry night and the place was jumpin' with people who work for a living. A guy in a Harley coat met me at the door as I was going out and he was pretty impressed that I was riding in the cold, so I just smiled and told him that times are hard and it saves me money.

Anyway,keep up the thread. You are capturing the spirit of why I like to ride the back roads.
Thanks for posting a response!

Sounds like a great ride! I really need to invest in some warmer gear and extend my riding season.

I'm always amazed at how quickly Indiana can go from urban/suburban to 40 years ago. I like both at different times, but prefer riding in the "long-ago" places.

Wish I had seen the caravan. I had the chance to meet a lot of the guys that inspired Hoosiers. (The 1954 Milan High School team.) The center on the team was a member of the faculty where I work for a long time. They got together for the 50th reunion and offered a three-night course to the public. I shot it on video, but never edited it down. It is pretty clear that they are still friends and really like hanging out together.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #135
jonkertb
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey RadianRider,
I have seen pictures on your report a couple of times taken at Heritage Lake....which is where I live...give me a shout if you plan to be in the neighborhood. I'm subscribed to your thread and west of here is an area I wander often. May even try and warm the oil tomorrow after church if it warms up a bit
tom
jonkertb is offline   Reply With Quote