ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: So who's coming and whatcha riding?
Dunno yet 12 22.64%
Small (under 400cc) dually bike 7 13.21%
Big (over 400cc) dually bike 32 60.38%
Streeter 5 9.43%
Why would I waste my valuable time on a ride like this??? 1 1.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Woodsrat OP
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Kentuckiana "Icebreaker" Ride Mar. 24-25

NOTE--LATEST REVISED (AS OF 3-21, 11:00 PM) DOWNLOADABLE GPS TRACKS AVAILABLE AT http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774808

Although we've yet to experience any "real" winter weather it's always nice to finally drag our steeds out of the barn after a long, cold winter and go riding with friends, both new and old. With this idea in mind some inmates are organizing an overnight spring "Icebreaker" ride down to Mammoth Cave. The ride itself won't be terribly long--hopefully around 150-175 miles or thereabouts--figuring that a part of the ride for everyone will be getting to the starting point which will be at Paoli, IN. To allow for everyone to have plenty of time to make it to the start our departure time will be 11 AM and Sunday's return loop will start early and have us back in plenty of time to make the ride home.

Given that the weather that time of year is probably the biggest challenge--and the reality that there probably isn't much in the way of "bad" roads in the central Kentucky area--it'll be an excellent ride to saddle up the big bikes (including streeters), crank up that new electric vest you got for Christmas and hopefully remember which end of the bike goes forward. Same goes for you "noobs" who've always been interested in joining us on one of our little adventures but felt the route might be more than you could handle. It would also be an excellent opportunity to bring along your better half on the pillon. Mostly this ride will be about seeing old friends and meeting new ones--an overnight "meet-n-greet" to kick off the new riding season.

Besides the obvious beauty of the cave area itself there's a really cool old motel that's in the area and room is limited here:

http://www.wigwamvillage.com

It definitely ain't a five-star motel but when was the last time you stayed in a place like this??? Group rates are available as well so it's not out of the question for us to make our reservations in advance and get a break on what is already a fairly inexpensive overnight stay.

Exploration is going on as I write this and there should be some teaser pics coming to whet your appetite for this adventure posted later.

Please note: Although for the most part everyone who hangs out on this forum already knows this but as a reminder to everyone and for you noobs please be aware that you go on this ride at your own risk. This ride is on public roads and you'll be exposed to all the usual risks you'll find anytime you leave the comfort and safety of the garage. This includes and is not limited to bad drivers, poor road and/or weather conditions, animals running out in front of you, your fellow riders and God only knows what else. If you don't think your abilities are up to this ride don't come along. There's no shame in being honest with yourself and realizing that maybe you're not ready to do a ride like this.

All this being said if something unfortunate happens it's between you, the Law and your insurance company. No one going on the ride or involved with creating the suggested route can vouch for your ability or guarantee your safety so don't go whining here if you fall down and go boom. Ride with some common sense, show a little respect for your fellow riders and the locals' home turf we'll be riding through and everything ought to be peachy-keen.

Note for above poll: The "Dunno yet" option means you plan to attend but aren't sure what you'll ride yet. Didn't take me long to screw that one up...

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com

Woodsrat screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 08:10 PM
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
lufin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I think I may be able to make this one Tim I'll mark that on the wifes calender so she won't make plans for me that weekend. HA HA

2009 R1200GS
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
lufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I am in, as long as no work, no ice , or no snow.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,771
Here's a couple pics from today's exploring.

You don't want to miss this ride...

Miles and miles of roads just like this....well, actually just a few and they can be by passed for those who wish.

Mostly roads like this. Nice mix of state hwys. and back roads.

For the real adventurer...

2 ferry crossings over the Green river. yawn....

More info to come.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Woodsrat OP
Gone ridin'

mbabc emailed and cautioned against the Wigwam Village. Apparently it ain't what it's cracked up to be. He said this looked much better:

http://www.rockcabincamping.com

He also mentioned the idea of a fire and good fellowship on Saturday night might be in order before retiring to the cabins, one of which is a bunkhouse of sorts that sleeps nine. For you hardy guys obviously camping is available as well.

This is gonna be fun!!! Thanks for doing this one, Mark.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
ADVCoot
Wandering around

Oddometer: 329
Planning on riding this one...

[/QUOTE]
This is gonna be fun!!! Thanks for doing this one, Mark.

ADVCoot
'08 Versys
'89 NX250
Attached Images

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen

ADVCoot screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 06:42 PM
ADVCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Looks Good, I haven't explored any in this part of the state. Count me in as a solid maybe for now.
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
I've put this on the calendar. Weather can be iffy that time of year, but sometimes it is really good. Let's hope for the best! There's a restaurant in Pig that I want to try while there.

Might want to move this over to the upcoming area or start dual thread so more would see this.

patmo screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 03:21 PM
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Dog
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
mbabc emailed and cautioned against the Wigwam Village. Apparently it ain't what it's cracked up to be.

+1. A few years back when my daughter was 5, my wife and I took her to Mammoth Cave in late-March. We stayed at Wigwam Village for the novelty, and to create a memorable experience for our 5yo, Mission accomplished. Our daughter LOVED it - still talks about it 6 years later, and wants to go back. On the other hand, my wife and I barely tolerated it, but suffered through it as any good parent would. The wigmams are very small, the bathrooms are barely useable (would have preferred a big tree and a creek, rather than use the bathroom in this place...). The only source of heat at night is a small electric space heater plugged into the wall. An interesting, historical place for sure. Glad we did it ONCE for our daughter's enjoyment, but also glad I don't have to do it again.

BTW, sounds like a great ride. I penciled it in to consider as the date gets closer.

2009 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
1982 Suzuki GS1100G
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Woodsrat OP
Gone ridin'

I hear there may be a possible change of starting point to Paoli, IN. The backroads are better between there and the river crossing at Mauckport and it'll reduce the Indiana mileage somewhat to allow for more in Kentucky.

More on this as it develops but it sounds like a good place to start this ride. A quick check showed three motels in Paoli and plenty more in the surrounding area plus lots of places to camp, assuming you've got the hair to do it.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I hear there may be a possible change of starting point to Paoli, IN. The backroads are better between there and the river crossing at Mauckport and it'll reduce the Indiana mileage somewhat to allow for more in Kentucky.

More on this as it develops but it sounds like a good place to start this ride. A quick check showed three motels in Paoli and plenty more in the surrounding area plus lots of places to camp, assuming you've got the hair to do it.

Will the return route end at the starting point?

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,771
Did some more scouting Sunday. Pretty country.

One place we're thinking on staying Saturday night. They have small cabins and tent camping.

On the route north I have us crossing the Green river at Houchins Ferry. Hummmm...closed?

I called the NPS today and they said the ferry is open 7 days per week starting March 1st. Also have camping options here.

Once across the river the road turns gravel for a bit before turning west over Nolan lake. Lots of nice backroads with more gravel sections thrown in for those who are so inclined. By-passes for those who aren't.

We don't cross this!

Probably be fixed by trip time.

Plenty of gas along the way, so certain people won't run out.

End of my part.

More info to come from the ride committee.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
I crossed that Ferry on Green River about 4 years ago while riding part of the BMW adventure ride route.

If I can dig that route up I will post it. It may or may not be helpful for this ride, had some nice offfroad sections that were still big bike friendly.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Woodsrat OP
Gone ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeKicker View Post
Will the return route end at the starting point?
I'd guess so--unless you bugged out for home and didn't want to return to beautiful downtown Paoli--or wherever it's gonna start.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
BEST campground in that area is the one at Mammoth Cave National Park. Very nice, wooded lots with plenty of privacy. Cave City would be a good alternative for hotel and food. Comfort Inn was new just a few years ago, clean and nice when I stayed there, with a very low price around 40-50 dollars per night at that time with my SOS discount.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote