ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: So who's coming and whatcha riding?
Dunno yet 12 22.64%
Small (under 400cc) dually bike 7 13.21%
Big (over 400cc) dually bike 32 60.38%
Streeter 5 9.43%
Why would I waste my valuable time on a ride like this??? 1 1.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 263
Called the Wigwam 4 times today for reservations and Babu Patel does not answer the phone. Do you think they are still open? - Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #47
Woodsrat OP
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
mbabc checked the place out and found the managers to not be especially friendly or helpful--and the place is a bit run down and dirty. Hopefully someone will eventually buy it and give it the care it deserves.

In the meanwhile better find accommodations elsewhere. There's lots to choose from.

You single guys might consider trying to rent the bunk house at the Rock Cabins.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #48
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,341
Ralph at rock Cabins www.rockcabincamping.com is really enthusiastic about having us and has been very accommodating and friendly.

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #49
DRZTHC25
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Laugh

I have not made any reservations at the rock cabins yet, was just gonna tent camp it, but if anyone wants to get a bunk cabin I'll put in on one, if not I'm sure a nice fire and tent will do just fine for me Glad to see some more under 400s!! thought I might be the only one.
DRZTHC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #50
bovine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
This sounds like a good time to me, I'd like to try and make it too so I'll put in as a maybe. May need a new set of tires for the Wee.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #51
SuperGlueRyan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I'm definitely looking forward to my first group ride with all of you fine inmates! I'll be there with my RT (unless I can shock some life in the old KZ400 by then) and my buddy with his Sportster... be gentle on us streeters. Are we just making our reservations at rockcabincamping.com? What time should we plan on being in Paoli?
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #52
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
There are only three gravel roads in Mammoth cave,

Little Jordan Road

Thanks One-less - I remember your post a couple years back on Mammoth Cave. Good stuff!

I've included the one way gravel from just south of the Green River Ferry near the visitor ctr. for Sunday outbound. We could take it in on Saturday too as it ends on 70. I asked about Little Jordan/Ugly Creek rd. at the visitors center but the guy I spoke to didn't know about it. It's right on the northeast boundary and is hard to see on the official park map. I'm planning to run it on my next scouting mission. Seems they had a wash out awhile back...cool.

http://glasgowdailytimes.com/local/x...k-Road-in-MCNP

I've also included the gravel on the north side of Houchins Ferry for Sunday. Planned to look at it last week, but the ferry was closed and I didn't have enough time to back track. I'll scout it when I visit Little Jordan rd.

I hear it's supposed to be in the 60's this weekend.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers

mbabc screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 02:17 PM Reason: spelling...
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #53
Woodsrat OP
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlueRyan View Post
I'm definitely looking forward to my first group ride with all of you fine inmates! I'll be there with my RT (unless I can shock some life in the old KZ400 by then) and my buddy with his Sportster... be gentle on us streeters. Are we just making our reservations at rockcabincamping.com? What time should we plan on being in Paoli?
Cool to hear there's still a KZ-400 out there--I haven't seen one in years. They'd make a fine backroading bike. Regardless of what you show up on you'll have a ball. It's your call whether to ride the gravel roads or bypass them on the pavement. Do you have a GPS? To do these rides you're pretty much required to have one so you can download the route and follow it--or follow someone who has a unit and the knowledge of how to use it. I know you won't be the only street bikes to show up but it's always good for at least one of your riding partners have a GPS so you can ride at your own pace.

Sounds like the Rock Cabins are going to fill up (if they haven't already) but there are lots of places to stay in the cave area.

With the relatively short length of the route and the fact that a part of this ride for everyone is riding to Paoli for the start we'll probably depart there around 11 AM or so. An early start on Sunday AM will give everyone plenty of time to make it back to the start and then home again.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #54
SuperGlueRyan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Cool to hear there's still a KZ-400 out there--I haven't seen one in years. They'd make a fine backroading bike. Regardless of what you show up on you'll have a ball. It's your call whether to ride the gravel roads or bypass them on the pavement. Do you have a GPS? To do these rides you're pretty much required to have one so you can download the route and follow it--or follow someone who has a unit and the knowledge of how to use it. I know you won't be the only street bikes to show up but it's always good for at least one of your riding partners have a GPS so you can ride at your own pace.

Sounds like the Rock Cabins are going to fill up (if they haven't already) but there are lots of places to stay in the cave area.

With the relatively short length of the route and the fact that a part of this ride for everyone is riding to Paoli for the start we'll probably depart there around 11 AM or so. An early start on Sunday AM will give everyone plenty of time to make it back to the start and then home again.
I'll try to bum my Dad's Garmin for the trip so that we have our bases covered. Good call on the Cabins filling up, I'll try giving them a call today to see if there is anything still available.
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #55
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
That paper clipping was 2007!!!! I think it's clear now But seriously it's clear, there is a low spot but hasn't had water though there in quite a while. It's a pretty road and worth going over. It is a little hard to find, but better than the road South of the Green River Ferry.

For Little Jordan Road, Cross the Green River Ferry, and it's roughly 4.5-5 miles ,the 1st road on the right you look for the Little Jordan Cemetery sign, when you are on the gravel road there's a sign to the left going to the cemetery, go right!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #56
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,706
Got you on the old news but that was one of the sources I found that the road even went through. The plan as for now is to ride Little Jordan from the north, cross the Green, maybe take Joppa rd (gravel) to 70 and then to the cabins. Sunday back out to Joppa and then 70 to Brownsville to Houchins Ferry. The alternate route for streeters are easy and twisty.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #57
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
I wish I new more gravel roads or trails around there, but there just aren't many..... Seems to be more up North, but that's out or my exploring range......so far. I've been exploring from Bowling Green in a NW direction (more for 2012!!). Just started that in the fall. But the Somerset/London Area is quite nice, don't know that area yet.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #58
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Count me in for sure, may be a few others tagging along as well. Will most likely camp and hopefully enjoy a nice big fire with all the guys Saturday night! Can't wait!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #59
BillJones270
Good Times

Oddometer: 242
I plan on riding Up then back down from Etown, KY. Let me know if you Louisville guys meet up on the way to Paoli & if I can tag along. I'll be on a big Strom. I haven't been on here in forever, but some may remember me for biting it early in the '10 Lap of KY....I did manage to finish though!

Bill
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #60
DRZTHC25
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yea Bill and others, I'm going to be riding out of Louisville and will meet anyone who wants to ride along to the start point. I am planning on taking the Clark Memorial bridge and other smaller roads to US-150 W, rather than taking 65 and 265 to 150.
DRZTHC25 is offline   Reply With Quote