User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 AM   #1
MB UAE OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Rally Kits

I can't find another thread about this, so here it starts for me.

Over the years I've been looking for Rally Kits and rally parts to build my own bike for 1 rally, but the caveat being, for the rest of the year I'd like to ride Enduro. (Rallies are expensive). Full blow rally bikes are way out of my league, and a Rally lite was always my preference. Problem is there is very few one stop shop solutions out there, and if there were, it required some serious mechanical and electrical skill to put it all together, which I don't have at all.

However, at the ADDC this year I spied the Rebel-X sport Yamahas. They were good looking at very well tricked out and put together. I initially thought these bikes too were purpose built by geniuses (they are) and out of my reach.
Turns out they sell the full kit or you can buy a fully built version. Which is not new I suppose, but here is the part I like, and what I believe more rally/factory teams should do. 1. The entire package is very versatile, you can be riding Enduro one day, convert it to Rally Lite the next and here is the kicker upgrade easily to full Dakar spec the next. 2. You don't have to be a mechanical genius to do this either, the kit comes with full instructions AND 3. no welding, no drilling etc generally messing up your bike for when you want to sell it.

Its a clever, well thought out design and package and I want. Just wish they did the same for KTMs / Huskies etc. but for the first time ever, i might have to look at a yammy....never thought I would say that.

When you compare this with the KTM and Honda Dakar Rally offerings, its priced well below, is versatile and is finally a great option for a wannabe rally guy like me with no mechanical skills. I reckon in the right hands it will give the Rally Hondas and KTMs a run for there money.

Anyway, I am excited. Check their website out if you don't believe me.
MB UAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,763
Hi Mb UAE,

Indeed the Yamaha kit is nice and straight fit, but there are numerous companies that manufacture rally kits.

Mecasystems being one, JVO another, Rally Raid UK, KTM Basel, Perfect Fairings, Omega, Dottori, Boano , MST Specialthings.it when combined with the above manufacturers (who is the fairing and tower manufacturer behind Rebel) , Suzuki Grau Racing and I guess there are others if you look around. Most of the kits do not require any work to the frame and towers from other companies can be combined to create a unique look. I expect some kits for Husqvarnas to come out soon. May be from Russia, may be from other countries. For Hondas expect Prata to put a kit out too soon.

All the above manufacturers offer a variety of prices, qualities and fittings so the market is fully covered.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
MB UAE OP
Adventurer

Hi 640 Armageddon

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it. I especially like the options MST Specialthing.it site, that really floats my boat. I know pretty much back to front all the other companies you mention, but I do struggle with a few things on all these sites. The biggest issue, except for Rally Management Services, is the website design and layout. Dottori for example leaves me scratching my head. What size tank does this fairing kit fit to? is that tower bolted to the frame? do I have drill holes? What other kit do I need to complete the total build? .....forget it. Next site.
KTM Basel and Omega, great if you have a 690. Next.
JVO, I don't speak spanish, but it does look like they do a full kit, maybe, who knows there is no parts list. Nice pictures of scenery in the images section though. Next.
Rally Raid, now here we have parts galore, but where do I start, what do I need? which base bike is covered by what they have. If you build rally bikes for a living, I can see this being a useful site. But for me, its just overwhelming and confusing.
Rally management services have the nearest thing to a perfect website showing kits, but even then I start questioning if I should add the optional extras, do I need them? if I buy a kit are there instructions on how to install everything? is this everything I need. Otherwise its nearly there.
I guess I liked the Rebel-X proposal, as it says quite simply, WR450F 2015, buy this kit, and you have everything you need to get rallying. Buy it ready built, buy the bike and kit separate, or buy the kit on its own. here are the prices. Done. Oh and its fairly simple to install, no drilling and welding etc. we give you the instructions etc. They just take all my questions I have about all the other site out of the equation.
Its not a part kit, I don't have to go to every site above to build my bike, I can just order the kit and get everything I need.
As a rider, not a mechanic, this is what works for me and I assume for others like me. I'd recommend the other companies to follow suit and design their websites and packages in a similar manner, because Rebel-X certainly have stepped ahead in making building a rally bike easier and fairly cost effective.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
MB, it depends what you want. The information is out there.

There are actually very few full "kits". JVO, Meca, Rebel X. The best value is Rebel X* since you get the whole lot including tanks, tree, all brackets for every device including balise, Iritrack, ERTF etc. But it depends what you want to use it for. Do you need all that? Not unless you are doing FIM events.

If you want a "lite" kit, there are tree options and fairing options, but part of the rally world is that as a rider you need to be tenacious, and that also includes figuring out what works for you equipment wise. For example, we sell a tree which bolts to the headstock and it's designed to work with a Dottori fairing for a KTM 450/500 MY12 onwards. You choose the Acerbis tank size you want ie 15L or 19L and we do the rest. You pay your money and you make your choice.

If you want to do smaller euro events, you could maybe get away with a 15L tank...but do you want a fairing? Many use a "lite" kit, again there are many.

Take a look at our site, we can supply bar mounts, trees, whatever you want really.

*We're also the sole UK importer for the Rebel X kit, and due to the relationship with Yamaha, can supply finished machines direct.

Ultimately you need to work out what you want to do with it, because there is definitely not a "one size fits all" rally bike.

www.motorallyservices.co.uk

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
MB UAE OP
Adventurer

Mike_MRS, I currently live in the UAE, so the only local rally options are ADDC and Sealine Qatar, which are both FIM and kind of set the bar a little higher with regards to bike set up, particularly range. I am not a fan of huge fairings etc so a rally Lite suits me fine (of course fuel range needs to be tackled).
Over the years of dreaming about doing the ADDC, and was looking for an option to convert my bike to Rally for the event, but then revert back to doing the EDC (Enduro) series and general desert riding for the rest of the year. I have looked at every option and nothing quite fits together perfect. Especially the cumulative price, which for one event just doesn't make sense. You can't have your cake and eat it I suppose. The Rebel-X package however is close to perfect as a kit I have researched goes, except I would need a WRF.
I will continue to sift through the mountains of rally bits, and build imaginary bikes on excel.
Thanks for the advice and your website is in my favorites already.

Time to stop dreaming and do it.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,989
Buy the Yammy kit...Shoestring needs mousses

Manny

GRAVEL TRAVEL CANADA - Canada's source for overland routes

Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Buy the Yammy kit...Shoestring needs mousses
Manny

As Mike said, there are lite kits that gain more and more due to the nature of the rallies. I see that most rallies change in nature. If you follow ADDC this year you would have seen that for a normal rally person it's easier to follow in an enduro lite bike than in a full rally kit. Kudos to those who do it in full rally bikes, but it gets progressively difficult to follow. Same in Tuareg. Desert Rose Racing for example switches to Highway Dirtbikes lite kits as time goes by.

As always, do your search, see the options, and decide. Don't forget to check warranties for parts (if there are any) and I would be very keen to see the Excel file with all the options and the searches at some point. It will be really helpful for people that want to built their bikes.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #8
MB UAE OP
Adventurer

I have definitely seen the benefits this year of a Rally Lite set up. David McBride is a perfect example of this.
Love the HDB products, I have drooled at them before, but still find it a little confusing of what to order. I guess I would really need to contact them directly and talk through what I would need.

My Excel sheet is a little embarrassing to publish right away, and haven't updated it since last year this time. But i will get on it, tidy it up and update it, then share. Choices choices.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:50 AM   #9
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB UAE View Post
I have definitely seen the benefits this year of a Rally Lite set up. David McBride is a perfect example of this.
Love the HDB products, I have drooled at them before, but still find it a little confusing of what to order. I guess I would really need to contact them directly and talk through what I would need.

My Excel sheet is a little embarrassing to publish right away, and haven't updated it since last year this time. But i will get on it, tidy it up and update it, then share. Choices choices.
For most rally parts, people are inmates too and there are Vendor threads. Especially if you spend some time reading the Rally Navigation Bracket thread, you will see how HDB parts work, how other people have developed their own solutions, you will see electrical tips from inmate TheAntiPaul and all in all you will get the knowledge that you need when building a Rally bike. And remember, if in doubt, ask. There is no such thing as true plug and play in rally. Questions have to be asked to avoid errors
Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 AM   #10
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,989
Plug, play, unplug, drill, grind, plug, arg, unplug, grind some more, drive to fastner shop, plug, arg, unplug, Re wire, plug, adjust, arg, unplug, sit back and drink a beer, stare at bike for an hour, plug and voila! Play!

GRAVEL TRAVEL CANADA - Canada's source for overland routes

Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #11
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Plug, play, unplug, drill, grind, plug, arg, unplug, grind some more, drive to fastner shop, plug, arg, unplug, Re wire, plug, adjust, arg, unplug, sit back and drink a beer, stare at bike for an hour, plug and voila! Play!
Forgot the point that one actually has to spend time in the forum looking for installation tips

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 04-01-2015 at 04:09 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #12
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 20,391
The REAL truth of nav tower/rally kit construction and fabrication

Quote:
Vers.1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Forgot the point that one actually has to spend time in the forum looking for installation tips
Which leads to Vers.2.1...

onto Vers.2.2... 2.3...

which is scrapped totally in favour of Vers. 3.1

and then ultimately re-evaluated, finished without hacksaw blade marks etc. and installed as Vers.4.0...

... then play...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 AM   #13
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Vers.1.0

Which leads to Vers.2.1...

onto Vers.2.2... 2.3...

which is scrapped totally in favour of Vers. 3.1

and then ultimately re-evaluated, finished without hacksaw blade marks etc. and installed as Vers.4.0...

... then play...
I think HRC is copying your technique Troy
Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #14
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 20,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
I think HRC is copying your technique Troy
It's not mine...

That's actually a copy I came upon, of an inter-departmental memo from the HRC R&D department...
Old 04-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
andrewgore
Gremā

Oddometer: 3,546
Interesting thread. I'm personally not so concerned about a 100% plug & play "kit", or anything along those lines. There's only 1 rally that I know of in my Midwest area, so rally racing for me isn't logistically possible. However, I do like Rally Bikes, and I do want to setup my KTM with a proper fairing for longer trips and well like I said....I like rally bikes . To me the bigger question is with regards to the quality of these kits. Coming from a manufacturing background, I appreciate quality, well thought out products.

I've spent a lot of time looking at assorted sites options (if you know of any others not listed, feel free to post them up). That said, there is no replacement for seeing things in the flesh (especially considering the $ that some stuff costs). So for guys who are actually able to see some of these kits in person, what are your takes on them?

Dotorri
Mecasystem
RSConcept
Perfect Fairing

Thanks,
Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote