Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I'm enjoying the very different stories everyone has. Thanks for taking the time to tell them. I hope we hear a few more.
+1 Keep them coming.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #17
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
very nice job.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #18
Skidpan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38

I've wanted a combo for years, but never had anywhere to keep it, until we moved house and I got the garage I always wanted. I've had fast bikes, Ive had slow bikes, I've had tourers, heaps, dual sports, more heaps, commuters, the whole lot. Once I had the space for one, it was a case of finding something that fit my wallet - £1000 got me this, without the leg guards or fairing. I've had to do virtually nothing to it, and in the past few weeks since I got it, Ive done a few hundred bimbling about locally, and am hooked.
Skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,374
I don't remember when Urals first came to my notice. I think it was a magazine article back in the early 2000's. I thought "that seems fun" and didn't give them much thought beyond that at the time.

Fast forward to 2006 or so. My daughter was born, and I began seriously thinking of Urals again as a way to make motorcycling kid-friendly and family oriented. I checked some out at a dealer and almost bought one, but decided not to as we needed a new car soon.

Finally, in 2007 I had switched jobs. The new job turned out to be awful to the point that I was pissed, depressed, and anxious all the time - even outside of work. My "therapy" was to try to distract myself by thinking about something positive that I Iiked, so I researched the hell out of Urals, their quirks, etc. and decided I would have one. At the end of the year I got a better job and also picked up a used '05 Tourist from a local private seller. This guy had put on few hundred miles and then left it in his garage - it clearly wasn't for him.

I hardly ride my 2-wheeler anymore - the Ural is the most fun vehicle I've had!
IBA #23064
AlanCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,603
Mr. Cob.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Hi Skidpan,
Welcome to ADVRider. Looks like you're where you ride on the "other" side of the road.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #22
redflasher
Baltika Lover

Oddometer: 150
First saw them in a catalog I received that sold Russian products. Then saw one at the Mercedes dealer that belonged to one of the mechanics.

took a drive to Wisconsin to the dealer on a COLD January day. Actually the wife's birthday. Took 2 test rides in an hour. Wife took out HER checkbook and bought it for us. Happy birthday to her.

redflasher screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 06:36 AM
redflasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #23
Skidpan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Hi Skidpan,
Welcome to ADVRider. Looks like you're where you ride on the "other" side of the road.
Oh yes, the green and pleasant land...
Skidpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #24
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpan View Post
Oh yes, the green and pleasant land...
A member of few words I see. 4 1/2 year member and 3 posts. Looks like someone that rides more than types.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I was always fascinated by sidecars, a neighbor had on that I got to ride in once as a little kid.

Many years went by, saw one of the first imported in the early 90's and was introduced to the folks bringing them in, wass temped but decided they were a little too crude.
About 14 years later I finally decided to get serious about one. First thing I did was start to research and decided on hacking a BMW. Found a GSPD for sale and went to talk to the folks at DMC. Got the cold shoulder from them as they were very busy at the time and I had a budget, and the bike sold before I could find another builder.
Next step was to check out some HD rigs, quickly determined they were out of my price range, but the salesman was a sidecar enthusiast and recommended I check out a Ural saying they have come a long way in quality and reliability.

Not thoroughly convinced I went to check them out, but as soon as I saw them I knew they had improved greatly. The dealer let me ride one around the lot for a while then led me on a ride through the country. SOLD, came back with a cashiers check the next weekend.

Like others have stated, I prefer low-tech vehicles that I can do all my own work on, and that antique tractors are my other passion a Ural is a perfect fit for me, It does everything I want and need to do, I have loved it ever since, and it is my only vehicle.

windmill screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 12:56 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #26
twoweels_mj
Twoweels_mj

Oddometer: 259
Few questions on them.....

Are they reliable?

Easy to wrench on? Maintain??

Easy to find replacement parts if needed?

Cost to ensure???

2009 BMW1200gs ADV

"I have learned the most by just trying to learn as much as I can before I partake in an endevor and then just do it" There is no greater teacher than experience.
twoweels_mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Are they reliable? Yes, they can be, and this is directly related to question 2.

Easy to wrench on? Maintain?? Very. they are about as simple as anything driven by an internal combustion can be.

Easy to find replacement parts if needed? Mine is a 650, making parts a little harder to find, but I can still find pretty much anything I need from Gene at Holopaw, Oldtimer garage, or ebay, including all engine parts. many parts are interchangeable between so many different years, it is not hard to find parts that fit.

Cost to ensure??? I have mine added to my auto plan and pay an additional $26 a month for the ural for comprehensive.
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!

matman1972 screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 05:00 PM
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #28
samc
just me.....

Oddometer: 56
Had a Deco Classic for 5 years before getting the current rig (R1150GS/DMC M72D). Always fascinated by hacks, and Urals are designed to work as a sidecar, so the issues of getting something bolted together and working right aren't there, and are about as easy to work on as an anvil. Incredibly simple and rewarding. When my daughter had twins, I had an instant excuse. A neighbor and I put a new 750 engine and transmission in my old Deco (which started life as a 650) in a morning, and tried it out in the snow that afternoon; try that with your barhopper! I miss my old Deco, it went to a good home though.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #29
Maddog R-259
Maddog R-259

Oddometer: 137
2011 Gear Up

Got my Ural this spring from Terry Crawford at Crawford Sales in South Lyon 25 miles from me.
I have riden over 750,000 miles on mostly BMW's the last 45 years and in 1985 I decided to get a 1965 BMW/Stieb rig. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and saw one for sale in Leavenwort, Kansas. I got a cashiers check, airplane ticket and a Kendall Sidecar manual as I had never ridden a rig before and headed East. What an adventure and a long story for a rally fireside late at night. But a long fast induction to the world of three wheels. My wife at the time said she would never ride to the side and that low to the ground with all the LA traffic. I could not pry her out with a crowbar and we took many weekend trips and a two week vacation in it.. In fact she came out this spring for a visit and to ride in the Ural.
I had two other BMW rigs but the Ural is faster and much cheaper to maintain and the USA/Canada parts distributer is 25 miles away on mostly dirt roads and country lanes. I would not want to bang a Vintage BMW rig on dirt roads and trails.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #30
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoweels_mj View Post
Are they reliable?

Easy to wrench on? Maintain??

Easy to find replacement parts if needed?

Cost to ensure???

#1- Mine is reliable, can't speak for others

#2 - I would say that they are easy to wrench on. If I can you can too!

#3 - Easy to find replacement part for? Mostly yes. On my cross country trip, I carried some of the parts that are particular to Ural, but didn't need them(except a brake spring)

#4- My rig cost a little more to insure than my former HD sportster. Shop around, as some insurance providers would not cover sidecar rigs/Ural.

-Tom
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote