Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #91
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 440
For years my wife and I rode rode a '70 R75/5 with a Velorex. We really enjoyed riding it in town, but every time we set out on the open road something would scare the shit outta us or the bike would break down.
A friend let us ride his '95 Sportsman an the second we got up to "speed" we looked at each other and went "holy shit! This is awesome!", until we tried stopping quickly.
Then Ural came out with the disc, so we bought an '07 Patrol and have ridden the hell out of it ever since.
One of my favorite things about it (I know this will get me yelled at here) is if I've had a few beers too many, my wife can drive while I slump down in the hack and laugh my ass off.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #92
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanista View Post
For years my wife and I rode rode a '70 R75/5 with a Velorex. We really enjoyed riding it in town, but every time we set out on the open road something would scare the shit outta us or the bike would break down.
A friend let us ride his '95 Sportsman an the second we got up to "speed" we looked at each other and went "holy shit! This is awesome!", until we tried stopping quickly.
Then Ural came out with the disc, so we bought an '07 Patrol and have ridden the hell out of it ever since.
One of my favorite things about it (I know this will get me yelled at here) is if I've had a few beers too many, my wife can drive while I slump down in the hack and laugh my ass off.

I like that last sentence! That's priceless......
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #93
CrankyTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I wound up on a Ural by accident-litteraly!
Last Oct. I fell off my Indian Chief-going completely straight and at no more than thirty mph the front end suddenly just washed out.Must have been an oil patch on the road,'cause there just was no other reason to have this happen.Bad luck on top of bad luck,I broke my tibia pretty good-have a plate and a bunch of screws in there now.The whole expereince left me a little gun shy,but I knew I wanted to keep riding,so I started to think of sidecars,trikes and Can Ams-put a third wheel out there and increase stability a bit.
I finaly decided on a Ural because
1) It has reverse
2) 2 wheel drive(I have a Patrol T)
3) It's specificaly made to haul a side car-if I don't like a sidecar on a Ural,I probably won't like one on anything else!
I'm still getting used to driving a hack,but I'm gtetting to like it more each time I go out.If nothing else,Ive tried something new.
Tom
Old 06-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #94
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,589
I like stuff that's odd...like me. That and my wife wouldn't ride on any of the 2-wheelers. Found a Gear Up that had been in a guy's barn for 2 years and looked it...bought it, cleaned it up, reassembled it and it's now my favorite bike.

It doesn't hurt that *everyone* smiles and waves.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #95
North"wet"
Born To Meander

Oddometer: 292
Can I keep it?

It followed me home. My understanding wife said I could keep it.

North"wet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Tell us your story. My friends and family still can't figure out my newfound love of Urals. My story in short is that I've ridden motorcycles for 35 years. Last spring I saw a 1996 Patrol on Craigslist that I knew was too cheap. I've never been in or on a hack but rode right over to check it out. 30 minutes later I owned it. Tons of fun and now it's been replaced with a 2010 Gear Up.
How did you end up on a Ural?
North"wet" is offline   Reply With Quote