Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #706
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
3rd set ordered. My 990 shall be the recipient.

Thanks for the repeat business.

Lights will ship out tomorrow.

Just left LA last night - I could have hand delivered had I known

(man it was HOT away from the coast - )

thanks again,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #707
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD3766 View Post
Hey Brian,
Im interested in buying 4 of the MM10 lights (no harness or switches etc. needed) as a replacement for the Hella lights that came from the factory on my Moto-Guzzi Stelvio; these have been well documented as being pieces of crap.
What would be the price for the lights only?
TIA, Bob
Im pretty sure we have sold a sets for those looking to replace the Hella's - I believe the bulbs go out frequently on them???

I am not 100% sure we have 4 lights (lights only) available, but I will check tomorrow when back in the shop and let you know.

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 09-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #708
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 51
Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Im pretty sure we have sold a sets for those looking to replace the Hella's - I believe the bulbs go out frequently on them???

I am not 100% sure we have 4 lights (lights only) available, but I will check tomorrow when back in the shop and let you know.

Thanks,
-Brian
Thanks Brian,
The Hella lights are known for shorting out (which kills the charging circuit the way Luigi decided to wire these bikes at the factory, resulting in a dead battery) or breaking their mounts; both vibration induced failures; maybe the engine guards arent a good place for wimpy lights.

2014 Road Trip: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a73953b592cac95c7
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #709
headshrink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I first want to say that I love these lights, and am happy with the service. If they never changed they would still be great, but it's great to see them being refined further with user feedback (ie: the new switch option).

That being said, I wanted to set the tone so this doesn't sound like a complaint. I noticed yesterday the housings on mine have started to fade. I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else with these lights, and if this is only inevitable with anodized aluminum... I might suspect, but don't know. I've only had mine since this spring, and my bike is garage-kept, although I do ride it daily as a commuter. I try to park in the shade at work, but this isn't always possible. Had I known this would happen, I would probably still buy them; but having owned them, I definitely would.

headshrink screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 11:55 AM
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #710
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

Oddometer: 76
Question re: F650GS Wiring

Brian,

I'm considering the MM10's for my 2012 F650GS. I saw a prior post about how BMW owners could use ring terminals right at the battery to avoid messing up BMW's CAN-BUS system. Would the same thing apply to me (i.e., no CAN-BUS adapter needed)?

Thanks in advance.
Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #711
RAD3766
0ld n00b

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Hey Brian,
Im interested in buying 4 of the MM10 lights.........
Invoice received, PayPal sent........Let there be light(s).
Will post a pic after install in a few weeks.....Im outta town.

2014 Road Trip: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a73953b592cac95c7
RAD3766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #712
Wise Guy
Soitenly!

Just ordered a set...

Just ordered a set of the MM10 lights. I was thinking of mounting them to my Adventure Spec crash bars. I'll try to post some pics after I get 'em, and install 'em.

Can't wait cuz it's downright dangerous to ride at night with my pathetic F650GS factory low beam! At least that's how I justified the purchase to my wife...

Me: "Safety, baby. It's all about safety."

Her (cynically): "Mmm Hmm"

I think I may have used the safety farkle line too many times. Gotta come up with some new material

Maybe she doesn't see the need for the LEDs cuz the OEM headlight on her Hyosung puts out about 3.4 gazillion lumens! It's unbelievable. I try not to aim at any one tree for too long...I don't wanna start any forest fires with that thing
Wise Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #713
PLRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Pm'ed
PLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #714
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNoobie View Post
Brian,

I'm considering the MM10's for my 2012 F650GS. I saw a prior post about how BMW owners could use ring terminals right at the battery to avoid messing up BMW's CAN-BUS system. Would the same thing apply to me (i.e., no CAN-BUS adapter needed)?

Thanks in advance.
Many 650 (and other CAN BUS) bikes are using our light kits without the need for an adapter. Wiring direct to battery and switched power taps to tail light.

thanks,
-Brian
Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #715
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Invoice received, PayPal sent........Let there be light(s).
Will post a pic after install in a few weeks.....Im outta town.
Hoping to see the pics when you get them mounted.

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #716
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNoobie View Post
Just ordered a set of the MM10 lights. I was thinking of mounting them to my Adventure Spec crash bars. I'll try to post some pics after I get 'em, and install 'em.

Can't wait cuz it's downright dangerous to ride at night with my pathetic F650GS factory low beam! At least that's how I justified the purchase to my wife...

Me: "Safety, baby. It's all about safety."

Her (cynically): "Mmm Hmm"

I think I may have used the safety farkle line too many times. Gotta come up with some new material

Maybe she doesn't see the need for the LEDs cuz the OEM headlight on her Hyosung puts out about 3.4 gazillion lumens! It's unbelievable. I try not to aim at any one tree for too long...I don't wanna start any forest fires with that thing
Cant ever be too safe

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #717
tobbik
Adventurer

Finally mounted

I think I got them in May or June but didn't get under the tank until all my other stuff (spot beam LED's and heated grips) came in.

Striping it all off to get the wiring under the tank. Btw. with 2 sets of lights, heated grips and an outlet to be installed I decided to use a fuse box. Also this is Scotts shop, also known as the birth place of the KLRE Super Rio. Scott is a really nice guy.

Mondo Motoes hanging from the crash bars.

Don't judge me, I'm working on the mounts. For now that's reasonably tight actually.

I did that way of mounting on my old bike, too. However, there I used the throttle side ... which was a really, really stupid idea.

Together with some 10degree spot beams LED on high beam settings. They throw a good amount of light all together.

The 10degree are Denalis from TwistedThrottle. Basically 10Watt LED with a Skeene type controller. Costs twice as much as the MM10 plus controller but is not worth twice the amount. The Denalis are huge in comparism and heavy they need really good mounts.

If there were MM10 with a narrow spot beam available I would not hesitate to use the MM10 for that.
tobbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #718
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik View Post
I think I got them in May or June but didn't get under the tank until all my other stuff (spot beam LED's and heated grips) came in.

Striping it all off to get the wiring under the tank. Btw. with 2 sets of lights, heated grips and an outlet to be installed I decided to use a fuse box. Also this is Scotts shop, also known as the birth place of the KLRE Super Rio. Scott is a really nice guy.

Mondo Motoes hanging from the crash bars.

Don't judge me, I'm working on the mounts. For now that's reasonably tight actually.

I did that way of mounting on my old bike, too. However, there I used the throttle side ... which was a really, really stupid idea.

Together with some 10degree spot beams LED on high beam settings. They throw a good amount of light all together.

The 10degree are Denalis from TwistedThrottle. Basically 10Watt LED with a Skeene type controller. Costs twice as much as the MM10 plus controller but is not worth twice the amount. The Denalis are huge in comparism and heavy they need really good mounts.

If there were MM10 with a narrow spot beam available I would not hesitate to use the MM10 for that.
Thanks for posting up the pics and review.

FWIW we do offer a hardware kit that makes mounting the MM10's low on the forks a snap.

Our shop bike has a raised fender, but the install and outcome is the same.

thanks,
-Brian
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #719
tobbik
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Thanks for posting up the pics and review.

FWIW we do offer a hardware kit that makes mounting the MM10's low on the forks a snap.

Our shop bike has a raised fender, but the install and outcome is the same.

thanks,
-Brian
Hi Brian,

that looks really neat, I wanted the crashbar mounts because it tucks the lights away neatly. However, the fender mount brings more light to the street and doesn't illuminate my dirty front wheel all that much. I have stainless steel jaw clamps on order (marine supply) and that should work great.

Btw, what tires is this Versys running. And if they are over sized, how is the handling?

-Tobias
tobbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #720
playinatwork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Brian, I can't get my lights to fire coming out of a 8a pwm. When I use a test light on the exit side of the pwm it lightens and darkens like I expected but with the m10's wired in I got nuttin. What am I doing wrong?
playinatwork is offline   Reply With Quote