ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #961
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer
 
spaceman_spiff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 318
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #962
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,101
Should have a good idea how these things work tomorrow. Get the new bike then.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #963
propforward
Caught in the act
 
propforward's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Central Minnesota
Oddometer: 12,291
Hi again,

Thought I would post up a few pictures of my install.

First off - I just want to say that the Mondomotos kit is very well thought out. All the wiring harness lengths are perfect, allowing for a multitude of different installations, and I thought the quality was very good.

I bought a set of additional connectors for my bullet lights, as I installed them low down on the engine bars on my Tiger, but it turns out there was ample length on the supplied harness to easily tuck the cables away.

After umming and ahhing a bit, and doing several evenings of "shall I, shan't I", I opted to actually keep the OEM fog lights I had, and install the mondo motos bullets as well. (Originally I was going to just replace the OEM fog lights). In due course, I would still like to replace the Triumph halogens with a set of LEDs just to knock the power consumption down a bit. PLus the LEDs last longer than the blubs.

So I started by making a pair of simple clamps to hold the bullets. SW motech sells something pretty similar to these. I only made these for the fun of it. I painted them black.



I attached the bullets quite low down



There is a negative to this location - which is that in the event of a spill the light on the right hand bars will get damaged. Although that said - I know from experience that my bike can lay down that side and the Jesse bags will prevent the engine bars grounding (on asphalt anyway). I have decided to just accept that risk for now.

The wires tuck nicely up inside the side panels when the lights are mounted here.





And it is easy to route them above the motor and through the frame.



I wrapped the supplied harness in split wiring sleeve for protection, and ran it from the tail end of the bike, up to the front of the bike by going along the left hand side, and really tucked it in tight next to the air box.

Instead of hooking the harness directly to the battery with the fuse set up supplied, I added mine in to an auxiliary fuse block that I already had under the passenger seat, as I have other accessories on the bike. This picture shows the location of fuse block and bullet lights relay.



These pictures show the wiring harness being routed. In some cases it still looks a bit like a snake pit, as all the various cables have not been tucked away nicely at this point.





Regarding the switch, I went with the handlebar mount, which I found attaches very neatly on the left side of the bars, in my case right next to the OEM fog lamp switch.





This picture shows the battery compartment tidied up a little bit. It still looks like a snake pit because my heated gear cable is bundled up in there - which is where it lives when not hooked to my jacket. I should have left it out of the way. Anyway, the important thing is to show the connections that run to the fuse block.



For the switching wire, I did have to splice on just a few inches more wire, and I tucked that inside some more split wiring sheath, along with the switching wire for the fuse block.

That runs back under the tail panel of the bike, and taps in to the rear light circuit. The wiring is indicated by the blue arrow.



Under the tail panel is a little bit of a mess. What I did was made a cable with the same connectors as used on the OEM harness, to extend the wiring between main bike harness and tail light. This way, I tap into this extra jumper. It was necessary as it really made it easy to add the taps for both the auxiliary fuseblock and the bullet lights, and also to add in a set of the nice blinky hyper lites.



However, I wish I had made that jumper a bit longer, so I will likely re do it - next winter. It will be OK for this year.

So, once all was buttoned up and tucked away, the net result looks like this:







I am really happy with this bullet light kit. The quality and price are excellent, and Brian ships super fast.

Once I figure out how I want to mount the big LED lights he now offers, I will likely swap the OEM fog lights for those.

Cheers Brian! You are lighting our way.
__________________
It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #964
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,101
The SW Motech mounts might work. The other solution is to use Happy Trail bar mounts and move the bullets to where the factory lights are.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #965
propforward
Caught in the act
 
propforward's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Central Minnesota
Oddometer: 12,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
The SW Motech mounts might work.
Having measured up, I don't think the SW Motech brackets extend out enough.

I have an idea for modifying the OEM fog light brackets, and ditching the shrouds. I haven't looked very hard at the options yet. I could also make an extender block for the SW Motech brackets or something. I have a pair of those on hand, so I can experiment.
__________________
It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #966
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
Thanks for the pic. Looking good!


-Brian
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits - Tusk Panniers
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #967
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Hi again,

Thought I would post up a few pictures of my install.

First off - I just want to say that the Mondomotos kit is very well thought out. All the wiring harness lengths are perfect, allowing for a multitude of different installations, and I thought the quality was very good.

I bought a set of additional connectors for my bullet lights, as I installed them low down on the engine bars on my Tiger, but it turns out there was ample length on the supplied harness to easily tuck the cables away.

After umming and ahhing a bit, and doing several evenings of "shall I, shan't I", I opted to actually keep the OEM fog lights I had, and install the mondo motos bullets as well. (Originally I was going to just replace the OEM fog lights). In due course, I would still like to replace the Triumph halogens with a set of LEDs just to knock the power consumption down a bit. PLus the LEDs last longer than the blubs.

So I started by making a pair of simple clamps to hold the bullets. SW motech sells something pretty similar to these. I only made these for the fun of it. I painted them black.



I attached the bullets quite low down



There is a negative to this location - which is that in the event of a spill the light on the right hand bars will get damaged. Although that said - I know from experience that my bike can lay down that side and the Jesse bags will prevent the engine bars grounding (on asphalt anyway). I have decided to just accept that risk for now.

The wires tuck nicely up inside the side panels when the lights are mounted here.





And it is easy to route them above the motor and through the frame.



I wrapped the supplied harness in split wiring sleeve for protection, and ran it from the tail end of the bike, up to the front of the bike by going along the left hand side, and really tucked it in tight next to the air box.

Instead of hooking the harness directly to the battery with the fuse set up supplied, I added mine in to an auxiliary fuse block that I already had under the passenger seat, as I have other accessories on the bike. This picture shows the location of fuse block and bullet lights relay.



These pictures show the wiring harness being routed. In some cases it still looks a bit like a snake pit, as all the various cables have not been tucked away nicely at this point.





Regarding the switch, I went with the handlebar mount, which I found attaches very neatly on the left side of the bars, in my case right next to the OEM fog lamp switch.





This picture shows the battery compartment tidied up a little bit. It still looks like a snake pit because my heated gear cable is bundled up in there - which is where it lives when not hooked to my jacket. I should have left it out of the way. Anyway, the important thing is to show the connections that run to the fuse block.



For the switching wire, I did have to splice on just a few inches more wire, and I tucked that inside some more split wiring sheath, along with the switching wire for the fuse block.

That runs back under the tail panel of the bike, and taps in to the rear light circuit. The wiring is indicated by the blue arrow.



Under the tail panel is a little bit of a mess. What I did was made a cable with the same connectors as used on the OEM harness, to extend the wiring between main bike harness and tail light. This way, I tap into this extra jumper. It was necessary as it really made it easy to add the taps for both the auxiliary fuseblock and the bullet lights, and also to add in a set of the nice blinky hyper lites.



However, I wish I had made that jumper a bit longer, so I will likely re do it - next winter. It will be OK for this year.

So, once all was buttoned up and tucked away, the net result looks like this:







I am really happy with this bullet light kit. The quality and price are excellent, and Brian ships super fast.

Once I figure out how I want to mount the big LED lights he now offers, I will likely swap the OEM fog lights for those.

Cheers Brian! You are lighting our way.
10 Points for a great post!

Well detailed on the install.

Many, many thanks for all the pics and input.

Very interested in the clamps you made. Simple, look good and effective. Cant beat that.



-Brian
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits - Tusk Panniers
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #968
propforward
Caught in the act
 
propforward's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Central Minnesota
Oddometer: 12,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post

Very interested in the clamps you made. Simple, look good and effective. Cant beat that.



-Brian
Cheers! I appreciate the kind comments.

The clamps are just machined from ali round stock. Pretty much just a chunky split collar clamp.

I saw someone who had mounted these same bullets using a very similar split collar clamp, but I can't find the picture now. The difference was it was an aftermarket clamp, with plastic inserts to make up for any appreciable difference in the ID.

I only machined these as an exercise in machining really, which is a new thing for me. I'll put up a sketch of them with dimensions at some point, in case anyone else wants to fab some up, because they do actually work well, I'm pretty happy with them. I'm happy with the whole set up in fact. If I hadn't known better, I would swear that the wiring kit was specifically designed to fit the Tiger - the lengths are all perfect.
__________________
It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #969
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,101
Like I said earlier still waiting for my bike. The shop tried connecting the Mondo harness to the Triumph switch and was told they didn't play well together. Now waiting on Triumph harness to use that. They did say that the lights ruined productivity as all that looked into the lights had to go into a dark room for half an hour to get their vision back.

They are doing what I wanted from the get go. All Triumph harness and simply plug the lights in at the headlight housing. Triumph now uses LED so all the relays and fuses are correct for LED lights. Can't wait to get out of Alaska and actually ride in the dark to see how these lights work at night.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #970
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Elmira, Oar-agin
Oddometer: 1,768
I have a suggestion for the first post here?

I think the current priced has changed from the first price listed for the small lights, right?
It seems to me the first price shown for any product should be updated and noted as being updated. Wouldn't that eliminate some confusion?
__________________
So many rides, so little time.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #971
markgsnw
WTF?
 
markgsnw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon US
Oddometer: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleyfman View Post
I had a question regarding night time use in traffic.

Since MM10 do not offer High/Low switching or dimming could they be used at night?

Have anyone had experience with night time use in normal (read crappy!) city traffic conditions?



Thanks

I ran mine I undimmed in city traffic last winter, no issues. Also no issues on dark rural roads with oncoming traffic.
__________________
http://vasaphoto.wordpress.com/

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #972
siyeh
Lawn Nazi
 
siyeh's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Evansville, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,500
I have not yet been able to do a night run with my 10MM Bullets. I am sure they will need to be adjusted to my liking. I did a little aiming test in my basement which told me I need to adjust the right side bullet to shine the ditch more. We have too many deerz around here.

27 feet to the wall CB1100 stock low beam:


stock high beam:


10MM Bullets only:


I am hoping people will see me better now:
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #973
Camarodude
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 243
I really like the bracket the light switch is mounted to in the Triumph. Is there any way of getting one Brian?
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #974
headshrink
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 31
Soooooo... I may have blown a [second] engine on my Ninjette (long story over at that forum), which means I finally have a reasonable excuse to get a new bike. I COULD recycle my old faded Mondo Moto lights, OR I could buy the new version lights. I just need to be able to justify new ones to my wife.

Hey Toad, how is the research on the amber lenses coming? Is there anything your willing to say publically yet? This option would give me enough reason to convince the wife I need to buy another set.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #975
Camarodude
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodude View Post
I really like the bracket the light switch is mounted to in the Triumph. Is there any way of getting one Brian?
No response! alright whatever!
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014