Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #1006
KeetAK
Use a bigger hammer

Oddometer: 13
I ordered and finally installed a set of MM10s on my DR.

The kit and instructions made them dead simple to install and they're nice and bright (got a twilight ride in last night). I'll try to get a couple photos up, but just wanted to say thanks for an incredible product!

May get buried, but finally got photos of my lights. I removed the stock reflectors from their brackets and mounted these. I had to drill out the hole, but just a hair.

KeetAK screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 06:59 PM
KeetAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #1007
gleyfman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post up pics

Install looks good - If I am seeing correctly the electrical tape?? on the cross bar may not hold up well to heat and weather however - but maybe im not seeing it correctly.

thanks,
-Brian
Thanks for catching this Brian. I actually appreciate you look at the things I may have screwed up
Not this time though. It looks like electric tape, but it is not.
It is a silicon "Nitro Tape", made to withstand 500+ degrees centigrade and pretty much anything else short of nuclear blast .

No sign of heat damage or any other kind on it so far, after few weeks of riding...

Here are few more photos - tape used, switch and controller mounted under instruments:

gleyfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #1008
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleyfman View Post
Thanks for catching this Brian. I actually appreciate you look at the things I may have screwed up
Not this time though. It looks like electric tape, but it is not.
It is a silicon "Nitro Tape", made to withstand 500+ degrees centigrade and pretty much anything else short of nuclear blast .

No sign of heat damage or any other kind on it so far, after few weeks of riding...

Here are few more photos - tape used, switch and controller mounted under instruments:

Thanks for the follow up.

I have seen that tape, but never tried it. Good to know it holds up.

-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #1009
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Silicon fusion tape... Never leave home without it... Great on hoses too.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #1010
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Auxiliary LED Lights - MondoMotos

4th bike with Mondos. 2014 Scrambler.
Lights are great as always.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #1011
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
So my lights are no longer black but rather a goldish bronze color, but just on the top portion of the lights that is exposed to the sun. Anyone else experience this?
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #1012
headshrink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
So my lights are no longer black but rather a goldish bronze color, but just on the top portion of the lights that is exposed to the sun. Anyone else experience this?
Yes. I got mine last April or May, and within a couple-few months I also noticed discoloring. The current version is supposed to have a better UV coating. How long have you had yours?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #1013
The Opa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:

Same here. But I sure like the lights.

Opa Rides
The Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #1014
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Yes. I got mine last April or May, and within a couple-few months I also noticed discoloring. The current version is supposed to have a better UV coating. How long have you had yours?
I've had them mounted for about a month or so. Pretty quick to get discolored. Not that it affects the lights but just strange
Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #1015
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
I've had them mounted for about a month or so. Pretty quick to get discolored. Not that it affects the lights but just strange
We have heard that some of the lights were dulling/discoloring on the housing. It is a phenomenon that I honestly cant explain without making up something that amounts to an excuse. Very likely it is is the effect of the sun. For that reason, the V2 kits were given a second UV treatment.

I can say that I have had MM10's on all our bikes (5) with 4 or them for over a year (on one bike 2 years) and only one set of them has dulled/discolored on top. The lights take lots of abuse/exposure so I havent tried polishing or cleaning them and not sure if that might help.

Send us an email - info@mondomotos.com if you want to discuss replacement/repair.

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #1016
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
4th bike with Mondos. 2014 Scrambler.
Lights are great as always.

Thanks again for the feedback and pics.

You always seem to have the bike that I want next

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #1017
headshrink
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
We have heard that some of the lights were dulling/discoloring on the housing. It is a phenomenon that I honestly cant explain without making up something that amounts to an excuse. Very likely it is is the effect of the sun. For that reason, the V2 kits were given a second UV treatment.

I can say that I have had MM10's on all our bikes (5) with 4 or them for over a year (on one bike 2 years) and only one set of them has dulled/discolored on top. The lights take lots of abuse/exposure so I haven't tried polishing or cleaning them and not sure if that might help.

-Brian
Thanks Brian for your honesty and transparency. This makes me even more curious. I assumed it was a problem inherent in this particular type of metal treatment, but this stuff is a little above my pay-grade, as they say. I'm interested to see how this turns out, and learning what has been the cause. I'm glad to hear this isn't happening to ALL the lights, and am hopeful the cause will be found eventually. Please keep us updated on your findings. It's a bummer they're fading, but I'm still planning to get another set, and am REALLY excited about that new smart LED timer I see you have now! (just gotta replenish the bank account)

I've been considering painting my faded lights. I don't know the name, but a friend painted an [originally anodized] AR15 lower with an epoxy-like paint that's designed for firearms. It turned out REALLY NICE, and I think it would be an excellent surface for these lights. It's smooth, but has a tiny bit of texture (in a good way), and feels really hard. I don't know how it holds up over time, but it appears to be pretty solid, and potentially a great product for MC stuff. I'll see if I can find the name if anyone's interested. I'd be posting my results, but I have several projects stacked-up before I can get to this one.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #1018
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
I had an aftermarket fuel cap that turned bronze like over time and 2 set of signals (though just the tops). I sprayed this UV protectant on the fuel cap which seemed to halt the sun fade issue.
None of my bullet lights have discolored.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #1019
gleyfman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzo3 View Post
Silicon fusion tape... Never leave home without it... Great on hoses too.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
gleyfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #1020
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

That's what I call customer service. As long as the lights won't be affected by the discoloration then I see no need to get replacements.
Even if I had known they would change color, after owning them, I would order them again. They are awesome!