Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Noise from transmission r100gs

riding home today, i heard a noise i had not heard before,

bike is 92 r100gs just under 30k miles, in good shape.

in gears 2 or higher, i get a sort of whirring/gear lash/bad bearing noise while in decell, or while riding, but not under throttle. I've only had this bike about 200 miles. As far as i know, the circlip has not been done.

i got the bike home, and put on center stand, and ran in gear, makes a whole bunch of racket and i can feel it in the trans case (ive searched since i came on here tonite and found that they make some noise in this situation)

i do not get any noise rolling in neutral backwards that would lead me to think drive shaft, and i have minimal play back and forth at final drive while in gear, and i can feel the "slop" as being internal to the trans and not the forward u joint.

what do you guys think,

first step, pull back boots, look at drive shaft,

or just dive the fuck in, and get the trans to an expert?

im a mechanic for a living, so i ain't scared, but i do not do transmission internals. and would just assume have someone that knows what they're doing take care of it once.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
The R100GS was BMW's practice bike for "clean" (sealed) bearings. There's one at the rear of the output shaft and it is common for them to fail early. Take the gearbox apart-or to your favorite BMW gearbox guy.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
riding home today, i heard a noise i had not heard before,

bike is 92 r100gs just under 30k miles, in good shape.

in gears 2 or higher, i get a sort of whirring/gear lash/bad bearing noise while in decell, or while riding, but not under throttle. I've only had this bike about 200 miles. As far as i know, the circlip has not been done.

i got the bike home, and put on center stand, and ran in gear, makes a whole bunch of racket and i can feel it in the trans case (ive searched since i came on here tonite and found that they make some noise in this situation)

i do not get any noise rolling in neutral backwards that would lead me to think drive shaft, and i have minimal play back and forth at final drive while in gear, and i can feel the "slop" as being internal to the trans and not the forward u joint.

what do you guys think,

first step, pull back boots, look at drive shaft,

or just dive the fuck in, and get the trans to an expert?

im a mechanic for a living, so i ain't scared, but i do not do transmission internals. and would just assume have someone that knows what they're doing take care of it once.
Change the oil. When draining look for more than the usual crap on the magnet. Once it's drained (really good) shake it. If you can hear pieces loose in it ... open the fill hole and look in with a flashlight . ...

You need some special pullers to get into one of those transmissions. But if you are mechanically inclined, I've been told it isn't that bad. It's the shimming at the end that requires the neurosis. But ... if it were me, I'd send it to a professional. (Anton?)

"I just ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work." -Odd Ball, Kelly's Heroes.
Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Change the oil. When draining look for more than the usual crap on the magnet. Once it's drained (really good) shake it. If you can hear pieces loose in it ... open the fill hole and look in with a flashlight . ...
so, obviously the trans has to be out to shake right? so i should remove it drain it, and give it a good shake?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
so, obviously the trans has to be out to shake right? so i should remove it drain it, and give it a good shake?
Yes ... I would. I think that Mr. Wrench is right though ... If you check your drain plug I think you are going to have some of those bearing spacers on it ... if not, they will be the rattle when you shake it.

If you need a rebuild, put in the lower first!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you need a rebuild, put in the lower first!
what do i need with a lower first? I'm 99% on street with everything i drive, i dont really NEED a GS, id rather have an ST, or r100r but the price of this bike was right and it was local.

i can barely touch the ground, im a big dude at 6'2, but i only have a 26-27" inseam. gotta say this thing rides like a damn dream and i am glad i chose this bike.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
what do i need with a lower first? I'm 99% on street with everything i drive, i dont really NEED a GS, id rather have an ST, or r100r but the price of this bike was right and it was local.

i can barely touch the ground, im a big dude at 6'2, but i only have a 26-27" inseam. gotta say this thing rides like a damn dream and i am glad i chose this bike.
The lower first was a surprise to me. I bought a 'new to me' '91 GS ... and it has some serious internal farkling. One of the 'improvements' is a lower first. When the bike is idling in first, it is moving at a 'fast walking' pace ... like 3.5-4 mph.. If I plan properly, I can slow to idle at a stop light (100 feet) behind a car, and never have to touch the ground with my feet before the light changes. I never put in the clutch! It's GREAT.

Now ... for off road, I can literally crawl over stuff. And if you thought that the 1000cc didn't really have torque ... you can crawl up a wall with it in first now.

Just personal perspective of course, but it is a huge upgrade. Surprising as well.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,927
I've not taken my GS off road much since the rebuilt tranny,
And I'm a heavyish dude,

If I had it to do over I would really look at the taller 5th especially for faster road work.
But I really wish that I had enough cash to have done both the 1st and the 5th gears.

Ted Porter did my tranny and I was ok with his work. He was a little slower then I expected but his quote was higher then the work he did.

I'd have him do it again, but I would make sure we had a clear understanding of timing.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
what do i need with a lower first?

Quote:
If I plan properly, I can slow to idle at a stop light (100 feet) behind a car, and never have to touch the ground with my feet before the light changes. I never put in the clutch!

Good call; dribbling along in slow traffic, riding the clutch can kill it quick smart. The least amount of handling the lever you do, the longer things will last.

Personally, I`d go the higher top gear as well.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
From those symptoms, I can't give you any good advice, except - don't ride that sucker till you get it sorted out!!!!!!!!!

And it is excellent advice to drain the trans oil and get back to us with what you find on the magnet. Oh, just be sure not to drain the engine sump - the transmission drain is the next one up.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
If you opt for sending it out for a going through, i would also consider BMWRENCH's shop,
http://thenickwackettgarage.com/bmw/
He's a factory mastertech BMW guy, been wrenching on these at a dealer since he was a teenager.That's a looong time ago.
(his dad owned a dealership in the olden days.)
He's one of 4 guys that I would trust with my gearbox.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
bereahorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
villageidiot OP
Beastly Adventurer

looks like i am going to take it to angel city cycle, in culver city, guy comes pretty reccomended, and after talking to him on the phone he seems to know whats going on, and hes reasonably priced.

planning to take him the whole bike and just pick it up when finished, as my work week doesnt usually allow much night time wrenching, and i don't think its worth my time for the 3 hr R&R charge
Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Pulled mine yesterday and finished stripping it this morning. Similar symptoms to yours. Turned out my input end output shaft bearing is toast. Unfortunately it's taken 5th gear out, which has also worn the intermediate shaft helical gear.

Crappy Iphone photo but you can see the metal particles swirling in the oil

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Pulled mine yesterday and finished stripping it this morning. Similar symptoms to yours. Turned out my input end output shaft bearing is toast. Unfortunately it's taken 5th gear out, which has also worn the intermediate shaft helical gear.

Crappy Iphone photo but you can see the metal particles swirling in the oil

Yikes!, it's the "soup du jour"!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote