Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #31
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Those flux welders work even better if you mod them by using Miller wire and a better ground clamp.
I found that out very quickly!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #32
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post

Fail - Readings seemed wonky, brother left in back window of car and it seemed to "cook" to death in the sun. Can't handle the heat....
I use mine all the time - very repeatable readings for me, I've used it to check cylinder head temps and almost every night on my wood stove (handy to sit in the chair and be able to check the stove temp). The only thing I don't care for is the unnecessary triple "beep" it sounds after making a reading. Considering that a few years ago, you'd be lucky to get a non-contact thermometer for $500, paying $27 seems more than fair.

Mine = PASS

PS-Maybe you were "shooting" reflective surfaces? I notice that it doesn't seem to work it's best on chrome.
PPS-It's possible that your brother might be a dumbass
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #33
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Rolling Stool

As dumb as it may sound, I love this. It really helps my back when working on anything in the garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...eat-46319.html

Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #34
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
As dumb as it may sound, I love this. It really helps my back when working on anything in the garage.

I was looking at one of those yesterday, the one with the flames, and thinking it might be nice in the shop. I like to tool, parts tray as well.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #35
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
I use mine all the time - very repeatable readings for me, I've used it to check cylinder head temps and almost every night on my wood stove (handy to sit in the chair and be able to check the stove temp). The only thing I don't care for is the unnecessary triple "beep" it sounds after making a reading. Considering that a few years ago, you'd be lucky to get a non-contact thermometer for $500, paying $27 seems more than fair.

Mine = PASS

PS-Maybe you were "shooting" reflective surfaces? I notice that it doesn't seem to work it's best on chrome.
PPS-It's possible that your brother might be a dumbass
I have a similar "Cheapo", what happens is that it decalibrates when exposed to very high or low temps.

So won't work if left in the garage at below freezing or if shooting temps in excess of its range, it then shows either a Hi or Lo error.

Bringing it back inside the house for 1/2 Hr recalibrates it ,and that is what the very obscure and badly translated instructions do say.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #36
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post

Fail - Readings seemed wonky,
You have to be familiar with all the limitations to make these useful.

If you are 10" from what you are measuring you will get a reading over a 1" diameter area. If you are 10' away you are measuring over a 1' diameter area.

They don't work well on non-flat surfaces.

The accuracy is affected by the emissivity of the surface. Most are set for a flat black surface. Lighter colors or plated surface will give false readings.

In the $100+ price range you get adjustment for emissivity and frequently a thermocouple to check the accuracy of the surface directly. Once you measure a surface with the thermocouple and adjust the emissivity and position to get the same reading you can be more accurate on future measurements OF THAT SAME SURFACE.

If you are measuring the same thing all the time you can get good relative readings. It is not reasonable to point it at the waterpump on you car and expect to get a reading accurate to even +/- 10.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #37
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I found that out very quickly!

Jim

Thanks for all the welding advice, everyone. Definitely will pick up a cheap unit and see where that takes me.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #38
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 727
bead blaster

I've got this bead blaster, paid $120 for it. It seems to blast pretty well but the door fits so poorly, 1/8" gap all the way around it, looks like the guy that riveted the hinge on musta been half blind, so it leaks blasting media out the seam pretty bad. Once I take the time to reposition and rerivet the hinge and/or add a layer of foam gap filler it will be better. The nozzle seems to clog up sometimes too, and there's no light in it so you gotta rig that up too.

I guess it's a pass, sorta, kinda like all HF tools, I don't really expect them to work great or for very long so I'm not usually disappointed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasiv...net-42202.html
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #39
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,329
Last September a few days before hurricane Irene, I picked up this generator:http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/16-hp-6500-rated-watts-7000-max-watts-portable-generator-66603.html

PASS

It powered the essentials plus a couple of extras in our house without issue during two extended outages. There are probably about 100 hours of use on it so far. It hasn't used any oil between changes, it always starts easily. It is slightly louder than the nieghbor's Honda, and probably has a shorter lifespan, but so far, so good.

The manager had me sign up for a mailing list and scrounged a coupon, which got me a good-sized discount too.

Yesterday I went back there with a Christmas gift card and got about $50 worth of small hand tools and gadgets of mixed quality. The jury is still out on that stuff.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #40
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I have several of the non-electrical tools mentioned above as good and I agree. I also have the 8 gallon air compressor and it has been fantastic for several years. It runs small scale air tools and paints cars and bikes.

The wet/dry sandpaper is positively worthless however, same with the drill bits.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #41
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
You have to be familiar with all the limitations to make these useful.
I understand the tool, I have a similar one from NAPA that works,

and there are several at work, I use them to estimate temperatures on plastic sheet for thermoforming.

This particular one before its untimely death was "wonky"

It was purchased to attempt to track down an overheating issue in his F150, but it seemed as if for every three times you took the same temps you'd get three different readings, and you essentially had to guess if you were accurate enough.

For instance, top radiator hose, you'd get 60F, 110F, 180 F. Then you'd feel the tube hose with your hand and go, that feels like a 110 to me. If you did this enough a pattern would emerge.

The window thing was stupid, but then again, I would not expect sun in the northern states to cook a display to the temp degree of failure of the display. As other electronic displays such as radios do not seem to have the same problem.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #42
mike884
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post

Ditto on the seat, just got one after Christmas. Used it once and was wondering why I didn't get one much earlier. Roll back and forth around the bike and to the tools. Small items roll around in the tray, but thats to be expected. Pass from me!
mike884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #43
mike884
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Also, the drill master heat gun, snap ring pliers, Pittsburgh hex bit sockets, US general Cabinets and the heat shrink connectors all get a plus from me. I also had a Chicago 230 ft/lb electric impact, it worked slowly, but it worked, would go air next time though, so I returned it. Harbor freight is awesome for those "occasional" use items. I will say I did go craftsman for the majority of my heavily used hand tools though.
mike884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #44
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Saw this at Home Depot for 20 dollars last week. It looked pretty well built.

svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #45
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,834
Motorcycle wheel stand/chock
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97841.html

PASS and with a sale I got it for 39.99$ I've had Harleys in it to change the oil and its pretty solid. BTW...if your gonna use it on a heavy bike buy some 5/8 grade 8 bolts.

I too use the HF blancer..it works great!
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote