Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #46
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I have the lift and tire changer. Both big passes along with several sets of jackstands.

This was my best deal at HF other than the MC lift.

The 5 drawer service cart. The steel is crazy thick and makes the box very stout. I got it during a sidewalk sale when they still honored the 20% off coupons on toolboxes.

The only downside is the newest version has smooth paint instead of the crinkle finish that mine has. Stickers stick better to the smooth finish.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #47
Giggity

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Those flux welders work even better if you mod them by using Miller wire and a better ground clamp.
Could you please show/explain the better ground clamp mod?
Giggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #48
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 555
I've got this electric impact wrench, although mine is an older version that is yellow: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-elec...nch-68099.html

It has worked well for me - I don't need to use it a whole lot, but it has always worked well and seems well built, definitely worth the price for the times I've needed it, although I would never use it to install lugnuts like they suggest in their pictures.

I also have a 4-ton floor jack that I couldn't seem to find on the site...it looked like this

I got it on sale, and it was a great deal - the crappy bolt holding the two parts of the handle together sheared off, but I just threw another bolt in, and it has been great - it is tall enough to lift my truck with big tires, but still fits under my girlfriends Accord - I guess it isn't available anymore, but if you see a leftover one, it is worth it.

Anybody used HF's Badlands winches?? I've read that they are pretty darn good for the price, but haven't used one myself...

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #49
kc0stp
Lurker

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Definate +1 on this, got one at work and its just as well made as the Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwell boxes that are there, only thing that might prove to be problamatic in the long run is that the drawers are rivted in so if you ever have to replace a slide you get to drill out the rivet. Probbly going to pick up the 7 drawer side cabinet tomorrow with the 25% off coupon. Also the aluminum racing jacks are actully very high quality, Ive got a model they no longer carry but theyll often have one on sale for $60-70 thats better then a lot of $100+ jacks.
kc0stp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #50
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
The snap ring pliers get a fail from me, but actually have one redeeming quality. They are skinny and flex easily, so are useless on most snap rings. They fit down inside a motorcycle master cylinder though, something my nicer craftsman and channel lock brand pliers will not do.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #51
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Didn't mean to offend,

I was just making a general statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
I understand the tool, I have a similar one from NAPA that works,

and there are several at work, I use them to estimate temperatures on plastic sheet for thermoforming.

This is a good use of an IR thermometer. Especially if you are measuring the sheets BEFORE forming.

This particular one before its untimely death was "wonky"

It was purchased to attempt to track down an overheating issue in his F150, but it seemed as if for every three times you took the same temps you'd get three different readings, and you essentially had to guess if you were accurate enough.

For instance, top radiator hose, you'd get 60F, 110F, 180 F. Then you'd feel the tube hose with your hand and go, that feels like a 110 to me. If you did this enough a pattern would emerge.

This is a less good application for an IR thermometer. If you could hold it in EXACTLY the same position each time you might get consistent results, but a very slight (1-2) difference in an angle will give a significant error on a curved surface. It's just not likely that a human can handhold the tool the same every time.

The window thing was stupid, but then again, I would not expect sun in the northern states to cook a display to the temp degree of failure of the display. As other electronic displays such as radios do not seem to have the same problem.

You wouldn't think so, but it depends on what materials they use. It's possible for a product in a closed vehicle in direct sunlight to approach 200F. Even in the northern tier.

I worked for a company that made CB radios and one of them would have the case melt down around the components like a comformal coating in the AZ sun. In the north the case simply distorted. Changing the plastic used was the cure.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #52
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
Could you please show/explain the better ground clamp mod?
Check Harbor Freight's site. They have an 400 AMP clamp that is a big improvement over the stocker. Having a poor ground will often give crap results. There are some write-ups on the conversion on weldingweb.com.

I said Miller on the wire, but I might have meant Lincoln. In either case, it is a significant improvement over the stock HF flux core.

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-amp...amp-66708.html

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #53
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Fail. I used it three times and the slide that holds the pliers shut bent and would hold anymore. Returned it the next day.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-...ter-45341.html
Attached Images

690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #54
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,834
Pass: Lift stand. Cheap and it works just fine, well, at least for the first 8 months now...

Edit: the front wheel chock that came with it (shown) is crap though. I replaced it.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #55
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,880
Thumb

This is a good thread.

I have had good luck overall with HF tools. I'm not good with posting multiple links & photos, but I'll list some of my favorites.

"Radial Arm Drill Press". I got for $225. It's awesome. It is a floor size drill press which has a special head that is on a sliding arm which gives it a maximum throat depth of 17", so you can drill to the center of a 34" sheet. The head also will tilt so you can drill angled holes, or you could even set it horizontally.

I have a framing nail gun which works fine, but is loud. The $30 power planer is very handy.

I have a cigar sized 56,000 rpm air grinder that you hold like a pencil, it uses 1/8" diamond points for engraving. It works great and was only $15.

I have a 10" sliding compound mitre saw that has served me well for 10 years.

All of the above PASS

But I have bought a couple of fails.
An orbital palm sander crapped out on the 1st or 2nd use.
Had a 12 volt impact wrench that worked well for a while, but died. It was a handy tool for loosening lug nuts, and was only $25 but I won't buy another.

Btw, their sandblasting pressure pots are great for the money, but require a $2 mod to make them work. The mixing "T" under the pot where the sand meets the compressed air "floods" with sand and needs a mod. The sandcarving guys use a short piece of cross drilled brake line to keep the sand from flooding the T. It just slips into the T before assembly and stick up into the pot a few inches. It you don't do the mod the sand flow will get clogged every few minutes, or less.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #56
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
This is a good thread.
you guys know there's plenty more here, right?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213483
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #57
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
you guys know there's plenty more here, right?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213483
True, as I referenced in the first post. Unfortunately that one has a lot of fluff in it, though still an excellent thread. I am hoping to make this one more of a reference thread.

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #58
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
I've never successfully used any of the 5 bearing/gear/arm pullers I've bought from them. Bent or shattered all of them.

My brother buys frequently from the one down the street from him.

Has the 12 ton press we've used successfully numerous times. Only draw back was how wobbly it was. So we went and bought a huge piece of C channel from the local steel yard (channel was about 12"-15" wide and about 2' long and 1/4" thick) and welded the feet to it then bolted some fixed castor wheels on the back side of the channel so it can tilted back and rolled around like a dolly.

Has various small hand tools and what not from there with good results. Even a nice little 64 point composite ratchet that has been killer so far.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #59
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
I have the 20 Ton press.

I just shimmed mine with some scrap rubber so that the I beam doesn't move. Makes it act rigid. Some better hardware and good washers etc. help as well.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #60
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Great Thread!

I originally heard about HF over on the KLR site and how good of a value their various lift-stands are. Low and behold, about a month ago they opened a new HF store about 4 blocks away and I've been drooling over the stands ever since, I must have one. It seems like they also put them on sale a lot so I'll keep checking back.

Darren
'09 KLR 650 (Blue)
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote