Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #91
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Because all law enforcement, security guards, and lots of bad guys all carry the same key.
I once was put in the back seat under arrest before I remembered that I had a hand cuff key on my key ring. They had not taken my keys or even my little pocket knife for that mater, yet. I told the cop driving I still had my hand cuff key and he said not to worry about it. We spent the 10 mins to the station house taking about Ford cars. So yeah, it looks cute and stuff but I don't think very secure.

Cost me $25 to go home that night.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #92
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
The only thing you need to remember about HF tools is the consumer is the QC department. It's cheap stuff, some of it is fine and some isn't. The air tools are usually pretty good for the money. Power tools are hit or miss. The hand tools, well you can usually tell which ones are complete junk and which ones are serviceable by looking at them.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #93
BrainBender
Bounty Hunter

Oddometer: 399
Thumb

I just bought an electric impact wrench a couple weeks ago. I bought it because it's too cold for my compressor to start without tripping the breaker. I've only removed and replaced 4 wheels so far but I'm impressed with how strong it is. Gets a pass so far.
1997 Honda Gold Wing SE
plus a few other dirt bikes and quads
BrainBender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #94
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
great feedback thread!

pretty much only purchase consumables like gloves at HB. with a few rare exceptions for low tech heavy duty items like 3 ton jack stands and 4x car dollys.

ALL Chinese hydraulic floor jacks that I've ever owned/used has leaked. VS American (Walker, Lincoln, HeinWarner, Milwaukee) made hydraulic floor jacks, some made in the 40's are still holding fluids tight and working great.

admittedly there's a 10x+ price difference if buying new. so answer is buy American floor jacks in good working order USED, ignoring how old floor jack is. worst case $75 for seals, good for another 30+ years.

_cy_ screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 09:51 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #95
AlpinaE24
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Yeah the circlip pliers can go get f-ed in the a. The best value at HF is the orange dead blow hammers. The assoreted hos clamps are not even worth getting for free
1994 XR650L - Sold
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #96
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
WONDER LIST
Do their 4.99 battery tenders work?

PASS
Motorcycle lift table
4-inch angle grinder
LED flashlights for .99
Tire changer - but only after mojo-mod

FAIL
Air impact wrench
Circlip plier

WISH LIST
Tire balancer
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #97
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 781
[QUOTE=Powershouse;17764859]WONDER LIST

I use 2 of these constantly on some camper batteries and they seem to work fine.
When something is this cheap it sure makes you wonder though...
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #98
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
[QUOTE=Dusty_Bottoms;17764896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
WONDER LIST

I use 2 of these constantly on some camper batteries and they seem to work fine.
When something is this cheap it sure makes you wonder though...
Yeah on the one hand you wonder what they skimped on to make it cheap, but when it works you wonder why the heck the battery tender is so much more.

Nothing I've got from HF has seen much long term hard use, but I've got some crap and some decent stuff.

Decent
Small 2 gal air compressor
Tool box Top chest
Rear stand (25$ and it works although not w/ spools)
Hi viz vest

Crap
Wenches
Transfer pump
Hex sockets (I think they're part of my stripping problem)
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #99
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
[QUOTE=PachmanP;17765040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post

Hex sockets (I think they're part of my stripping problem)

I should get some hex sockets to hand out to the ladies.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #100
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 781
You are a 'REAL MAN OF GENIUS'

[QUOTE=cablebandit;17765090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachmanP View Post

I should get some hex sockets to hand out to the ladies.

Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #101
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
WONDER LIST

WISH LIST
Tire balancer
Between John and I we've bought about ten of these.

There is NO WAY these are a battery tender. They are just a regulator IC with a bit of circuitry to make the LED work right.

They are advertised to put out 13.2 volts and will deliver at least .1 amp with fair regulation of the volts.

The problem is that as delivered the voltage out varies from as low as 12.7 to as high as 14.8 volts and they are not temp compensated.

The volts out can go up as much as .5-.7 volts when you take them out to the cold garage. This is not all bad because batteries themselves behave the same way with temp. changes, just not so much.

It is fairly easy to pop open the little box and change a resistor or two as needed so make the output 13.2V for a slosh battery as used in trucks, motorhomes, KLRs and othe low-end vehicles.

Similarly you can raise the voltage to 13.5-13.8V for use with AGM batteries.

The little LED is a feature in that if the unit isn't plugged in the LED will light when you have the clamps correctly connected.

It is a problem if you unplug the wall wart and don't disconnect a clamp. The LED and the sensing resistors for the regulator (a 7805 in my units) draw about .03 amps from you battery which sucks an amp-hr out of your battery every 30 hours or so.

Even given the problems, if you take the time to get the voltage right they are a good deal at $5. If the voltage creeps up a bit they really don't deliver enough current to damage most batteries.

If you are using them for an AGM battery though you need to be sure the volts out is high enough or they will actually discharge your battery.

AND at least two of the units had a bad filter condenser (that's capcitor to you younger guys.) in the wall wart so I had to cut that open and replace a part. It was less hassle than returning them.

I have the wheel balancer and it works fine.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here

cwc screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 01:36 PM
cwc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #102
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Thumb

My brother takes the Harbor Frt 20% off coupon to Lowes and they will accept it on tools, and maybe some other things.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #103
albondigas
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Boo on parts

I've bought a ton of tools and a couple trailers from HF. I'd give most of their power tools a C... that's until you try to get parts for any of them! They seem to have forgotten that things break. I've NEVER had any luck getting parts for their stuff!
albondigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #104
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post

They are advertised to put out 13.2 volts and will deliver at least .1 amp with fair regulation of the volts.

The problem is that as delivered the voltage out varies from as low as 12.7 to as high as 14.8 volts and they are not temp compensated.

The volts out can go up as much as .5-.7 volts when you take them out to the cold garage. This is not all bad because batteries themselves behave the same way with temp. changes, just not so much.

It is fairly easy to pop open the little box and change a resistor or two as needed so make the output 13.2V for a slosh battery as used in trucks, motorhomes, KLRs and othe low-end vehicles.

Similarly you can raise the voltage to 13.5-13.8V for use with AGM batteries.
I'm a little confused by this. Are you measuring open circuit? If so, they need to put out 14v+ to charge a 12v battery. As an example, a solar panel produces over 17v open circuit (not connected to battery) to charge a 12v system and does not need a regulator to do so (depending). Or maybe that is too high because they are not meant to charge but only hold the charge?
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #105
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I'm a little confused by this. Are you measuring open circuit? If so, they need to put out 14v+ to charge a 12v battery. As an example, a solar panel produces over 17v open circuit (not connected to battery) to charge a 12v system and does not need a regulator to do so (depending). Or maybe that is too high because they are not meant to charge but only hold the charge?
In the literature it clearly states that the device WILL NOT charge your battery but is to be used to MAINTAIN the charge only. It further states that they are not to be used with AGM batteries.

Because these devices have an internal voltage regulator they maintain the set voltage over the range from near zero current to around .1 amp within a narrow range. The regulator they use is rated to hold within .1V from .005 amp to 1.5 amp, but due to limitations in other parts of the circuit the whole device is slightly worse than that and of course won't supply 1.5 amps at any voltage. That kind of variation is plenty good for maintaining a charge.

I think most AGM battery makers would be happy to see a voltage of from 13.5-13.8VDC for a battery maintainer, but of course you will have to modify these units to get that voltage.

These units are also nice for poorly designed bikes like BMW's that have a parasitic current drain. If left over a Minnesota winter this parasitic current will drain your battery such that it's not going to start in the spring.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is online now   Reply With Quote