Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I just want to put a plug in for Craig. In these days where imported, cheap, low quality parts are becoming the norm, I don't mind paying for quality. The tail rack designed by and manufactured by CJ Designs is one top notch product. This part will probably outlast the bike, the mounting holes are perfectly aligned, and it looks engineered to be a standard piece on the bike...not an option. Can't wait to now explore which top case solution I will go with to compliment this fine quality piece. Thanks again. BTW - also ordered the Kriega fork seal covers...both from Dual Sport Warehouse. Service was top notch.
Flyboy52219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Thank you for the kind words and support.

Safe travels,
Craig
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
InTheLoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Nice rack but the install wasn't so straight-forward for me. This is probably Triumph's fault, though.

I started out by removing the stock plastic cover and thought that the rack mounting holes in the cover should line up as-is. Instead, I thought I was going to have to send the rack back because the mounting holes in the grab handle bases were about .25 inch off center-to-center. (Rear mounting points were about 7.125 center-center. Rear rack holes are about 6.875 center-to-center!)

It actually ended up fitting with the following process:
1. Loosen M8s top and side screws attaching the grab handles to the rear subframe. (One of mine was bent like crazy. This had to have come from the factory - there was grease all over it so they could force it in place - and this was probably throwing off the alignment to begin with.)
2. Mount the rack with the spacers and without the stock plastic cover.
3. Tighten M8 top screws at the grab handles using an open end wrench. (Limited access) Everything is lined up at this point.
4. Remove rack.
5. Place stock plastic cover.
6. Install rack with cover in place. Tighten.
7. Tighten side M8 screws in grab handle.

I will probably replace the M8 bolt that Triumph bunged up. It's $8 online. The moral of the story is that the tolerance stack of hole alignments will allow the CJ Designs rack to possibly not fit the mounting points as-is. You may need to loosen the grab handles to allow everything to get into alignment.

I choose this rack mostly because of the fore-aft position adjustment which is unique to this rack as far as I've found. Plus, it had Rotopax mounting points and isn't as massive as some other. The size is a good balance between carrying capacity and not being overly big.