|12-28-2011, 10:47 AM||#1|
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Cal
Avmap Geosat 6
Just got a Geosat 6 APRS for Christmas and have been looking through the forum for other users but cant find any...
anyone else have/using one?
|10-25-2012, 07:29 PM||#2|
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kewaskum, WI
07 Bandit 1250
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
|10-26-2012, 03:11 AM||#3|
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Nope. Had to do a search find info.
Looks like they are an Italian aviation navigation company that has been branching out. They don't make a moto specific unit.
|11-22-2012, 12:33 AM||#4|
Joined: May 2008
Location: Northern Cal
Review on the Geosat 6
Now that I've had it on the bike for a number of months thought a quick review might be helpful...
Its a pretty good size unit and is easy to see at day but not so hot at night...not enough different colors for different things.
I picked it up to use with my ham cycle install...APRS + UHF/VHF comms. The big selling point is with it messages
can be sent/received to/from other APRS users...seems like it would be very handy for doing community service type
outings (Emergency related activities...search & rescue) where there is a command post that can track where all the
mobiles are. It sends position data to the radio controller and receives and displays messages/locations from other
operators. However, since I'm in an area without many other APRS users its not overly useful with messaging. I have it
installed in an older Garmin mount that works quite nicely.
1) seems to be quite accurate
2) daytime viewing is good, though a hood would help with direct sunlight
3) has an MP3 type player within but cant do both simultaneously
4) slick for APRS use (I believe its the only one of its kind)
5) they offer (or will soon) an off road related software program that will set it up more for off-road use
6) there is software coming out (if its not already) that will allow weather to be displayed...the weather data
would come to the unit via a cable from the radio equipment...that would not be stand-alone.
7) a lot of information can be displayed on the screen but...see #6 below
8) disconnects from the mount very easy...magnets hold it secure, though on the bumpy cycle I use an old garmin
mount that has very secure clips to hold it tight
9) topo data can be loaded in as overlays on the map...kinda tricky but works once one runs through it a time or two
1) night time viewing isn't as clear as the garmins I have
2) With my Garmins when I'm coming up on a turn it will say/show you have a 1/4 mile until the turn. This
unit will say/show you have 1,240 ft until the turn....would much rather have the mile fraction. (this may be
changeable but I haven't spent time fiddling with that part)
3) the touch screen, though usable with heavy gloves on, isn't as responsive as the old Garmin I have.
4) the map updates are pricey...well over $100 for each update
5) I dont believe its offered in a water resistant/proof form factor so some thought as to mounting location is in order
6) with lots of info comes:
a) problems with using heavy gloves...difficult to touch accurately enough
b) it seems to get busy...I think this is controllable though...but the data that is displayed can be small.
again..comparing it to my old garmin, with one glance the garmin makes the important things very clear
and readable...with the G6 its not nearly as easy....if one has it in a car where more time can be safely spent
reading it, it may not be an issue. But I'm finding on the cycle, with my old eyes, I like the display information
obvious with a glance.
Bottom line...if you plan to do APRS comms (not just tracking) its what you need.
However, if that's not your thing, I think any number of other units might be better suited...it does all the usual
stuff but it doesn't seem to be quite so user friendly as the older Garmins I have. I think the weather display would
be slick when its available.
I plan to take the cycle to work (65 mi trip) a couple days next week and I'll update the report if other things
come to mind. Maybe I'll upload a pic or two of the install too.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|