User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,363
Airhead aftermarket charging systems

So, anyone running a high zoot aftermarket charging system on a Airhead GS? I'd like to hear about your experience. Euro Motoelectrics has a set up that looks pretty good. Anyone got one? Thanks. Ernie

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
lots of us, do a search. pretty much only two choices that and Rick's
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Enduralast

I got the Enduralast --- installed and operating well.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Like 1LH said...

Pretty much two choices if you want to retain stock appearance - the Omega or the Enduralast.

Good, short explanation of both in the "Aftermarket" section at the bottom of this page:
http://largiader.com/articles/charging/

I've researched these myself, but am holding off for now. However, here is what I gather:

Omega - overall retains a more stock-like component set while providing higher power output. However, the power delivery is similar to the stock system since all the parts are just upgraded stock parts. What that means is you should get more power with the Omega, but later in the RPM range like stock (~3000-3500). Best for touring at high RPM for long periods. Also you can still substitute stock parts in an emergency if an Omega part fails (the new Diode board will likely not fail, but rotors have been known to pooch it).

Enduralast - less overall power delivery, but it starts very low in the RPM range - like 1500. Permanent magnets mean rotor or stator failures are eliminated. This kit replaces the stock Diode Board and Voltage Regulator with its own rectifier. That means if any part of this kit fails, you are pretty much screwed. This package is better for city-bound commuter riding or trail addicts.

If you don't care about stock appearance, then your wallet is the only limit:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225223

I'm partial to the Omega, since I don't want to be stranded with a non-substitutable part 1000 miles from home. Plus, I have experience with the VR and the Diode Board used in the Omega setup, and to top it off, Rick is a really good guy.

ignatz72 screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 07:22 PM
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,883
I think one issue with the Omega is that if the rotor blows, you cant just swap in a stock rotor. I mean it will fit, but it wont charge. It will keep the front seal from leaking to have a rotor on there though.

also, I will corroborate everything Ignatz mentions. I have an Omega system on mine, and Rick is only a phone call (and some USPS) away. His system works really well when its maintained like the stick system should be. Watch out for dirty connections.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Its funny, this topic has been thrashed to the level of an oil thread, and always seems to get some people hot under the collar.

I have an Enduralast. My experience has been all good, across three airheads & a load of miles. I wouldn't hesitate to take that alternator on a RTW trip.

IIRC, on Airhead Wranglers South Amercian trip it was the Omega that shit the bed...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

I've blown two Omega rotors, that is what it is. And my riding style might prefer a lower charging rpm, (more starts and slow speeds, less touring) but it can be kindof worked around with an additional highoutput voltage regulator and an Odyssey type battery that likes to be charged at +14v.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
Its funny, this topic has been thrashed to the level of an oil thread
It's funny how the same topic keep coming up again and again. I wonder if Bereahorn is going to be lurking () on this one as well - I notice that he lurks on almost every post. I shouldn't even be making this comment , but it's something that I noticed.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
I have a '92GSPD with the Enduralast system and it works well for me.
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
+20 on the Enduralast.
Gives more than enough power for my added driving lights, heated grips and clothing, etc. Have almost 80,000 miles on it since installing 4 years ago. Not had one lick of problems. Gen light goes out on startup. If left to idle after startup, at 1000RPM the voltmeter goes up to 14+ volts within 20-30 seconds, then just sits there keeping my larger than stock Westco GSM battery up to snuff. Have had to sit in traffic for extended periods with no ill effects, and have ridden coast to coast across North America and back with it 4 times, in all kinds of weather, including sub freezing as well as 90+F. Not one bit of problems with the Enduralast. Wish I had made the change long ago.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
redkats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I installed an Enduralast on my 92 R100GSPD 2 years ago in preparation for an Alaska trip. It will run heated grips, driving lights, and a heated jacket with no problems. Have put over 20k on the bike since then with no problems.
redkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,881
I have an Omega on my '91 R100GS. I have no experience with an Omega failure, or the Enduralast. I was unaware that the rotor A. might go bad, and B. could not be replaced with a stocker.

I constantly monitor my voltage output, with a home-brew voltmeter plugged into the 12 volt output on the dash ... I have had issues with bad connections ... so it is real good to monitor. It seems to me that the Omega only really kicks in after about a minute or so above 3,000 rpm. Then it ramps to 14 VDC and stays there while the voltage regulator keeps knocking the voltage down below 13.8. I also have the Odyssey Battery ...

In the big scheme of things I do not have enough data to support either system.

So ... why won't the stock rotor work with the system?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,849
Enduralast for me:

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Beater- the stock rotors diameter is too small by just a few millimeters. Its not close enough to the alternator to excite the field. Alternatively (haha) an Omega rotor wont quite fit inside a stock alternator, its too big.

It might have worked on the earlier 400w versions, but I dont think Rick has been making those for a few years. Now the Omega's are all 450w versions, and a 58mm rotor or something, compared to a 55 or 53mm stock version.

Like somebody said in the 800w big juice thread, you can only get more watts by either spinning faster, or making the unit bigger.