User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Difference between DRZ400 and DR650

What is the difference between the drz400 and the dr650? Obviously the engine but I don't understand why the drz is more expensive new than the 650. Does the Drz400 get significantly better mpg's?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,051
In short......

The DR650 is an older design, cheaper to build and less parts.
air cooled engine with 1 oil cooler
standard cartrage forks

DRZ400 has:
a liquid cooled engine so add water pump, 2 radiators to the price
better inverted forks and rear shock to add to the cost
digital instrument cluster
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Thanks for the info. Do the drz's keep their value over the 650?

I prefer the simplicity of aircooling.

Was the DR800 ever sold in the US?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
In short......

air cooled engine with 1 oil cooler
standard cartrage forks

DRZ400 has:
a liquid cooled engine so add water pump, 2 radiators to the price
better inverted forks and rear shock to add to the cost
digital instrument cluster
Only the supermoto drz has inverted forks.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
DRZ is taller even for a 6' tall rider and more off road capable. Shim and bucket valves adj. water cooled.

DR more road worthy relative to the DRZ a little easier to maintain.

Both bikes can benefit from a suspension re valving.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
In short......

standard cartrage forks
DR forks are damper rod, not cartridge.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Only the supermoto drz has inverted forks.
The suspension is still better than that of the DR650, or so I'm told.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
The suspension is still better than that of the DR650, or so I'm told.
Yes, the Drz suspension is fully adjustable and uses cartridge forks.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
What is the difference between the drz400 and the dr650? Obviously the engine but I don't understand why the drz is more expensive new than the 650. Does the Drz400 get significantly better mpg's?
The other poster got it close, but not quite.

The DR is an older and simpler design. It has no tach, no suspension rebound-dampening adjuster, no radiator, no skidplate, and not really much more horsepower than the DR-Z400S (but more torque, and big spread of it). The DR has height adjustment built into the suspension.

The DR-Z400s have liquid cooling, digital display, adjustable suspension dampening, cartridge forks on the E and S/inverted cartridges on the SM, taller seat height, more ground clearance, more suspension travel (except SM), and slightly lighter weight.

The DR-Z400S typically makes a better dirtbike, but the DR650SE makes a better dualsport, IMO. The DR-Z has a close-ratio 5spd tranny and a narrower torque band. Depending on the sprockets used, it's either lugging in the dirt or screaming on the slab. The DR650SE has a wide-ratio 5spd tranny and a WIDE torque band, especially with a non-CV carb. It'll tractor through slop offroad, then hammer down the interstate at 80MPH+...for DAYS. The DR has no radiator to damage or boil over. It has an oil cooler, a jet that squirts oil on the piston skirt, and cooling fins on the motor. It's big enough to ride nice on the slab, and small enough to ride like an old, heavy, fat-ass of a dirtbike offroad. The DR-Z rides like a fat-ass dirtbike.

For mostly dirt and 70MPH or less, people tend towards the DR-Z. For riding ANYWHERE, and/or with a passenger, people tend towards the DR. If Suzuki ever comes to their senses, they'll put a wide-ratio 6spd in the DR-Z NOW, without any other changes, then update to EFI a few years later.

Stock, both bikes can seem ho-hum. With some intelligent upgrades, SILLY improvement is easily possible with either. 50+WHP has been attained with both, on pump gas, with no forced induction. With just a Procycle jetting kit, Uni filter, and a slip-on muffler, my DR went from being a tractor...to being a tractor with an attitude problem, lofting the front wheel in 1st and 2nd without any clutching. It gained some "snap". A flatslide pumper carb would jack up the attitude even more.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think i would be more suited to the dr650. Is it a bigger framed bike than a dr200? I'm not keen on the close ratio gears,on bikes anyway.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,138
Until the purchase of a XT660Z Tenere a couple of months ago, I had both a DR650 and the DRZ400e (which I believe is your S in the States).

Simply put, the 400 is better at technical stuff but still needs some upgrades if you're tall and heavy (like me). The suspension is out of the factory for 75 kg riders so it needs some help. If you skim through the gears you're doing 45 mph in top gear but with heaps of power left. If you follow some mates on an adventure ride at say 60 mph it will be singing its head off and a few hundred miles of that in a day will have it begging for mercy. Some sprocket changes can help but won't solve the problem. The seat is hard. I got 20 kms to the litre. (I've called it that way due to the US gallon being different to ours). I still have mine.

The DR650 needs help in the suspension department too. There are some reasonably cheap modifications around which help them enormously - in fact, it was probably the best mod I made to the bike, and not just because I'm heavy, other lighter riders cannot believe the difference in the bike once done. It likes the airbox to be cut open, some slightly larger jetting and an exhaust system which compliments all of that. Mine had heaps of pull and at 70 mph still had a gear to go. This gets 17 km to the litre - mostly because of the jetting. Great bike, but I needed to upgrade and had been in love with the Teneres from the day they released them in Europe.

If you want to rip around tight tracks with low maintenance and excellent reliability go for the 400. If you want the option of both SOME dirt trails and longer legs on the off-roads and tarmac, then you'll love a DR - some people become totally addicted to them and they're cheap to individualise.

I'm agreeing in all areas with Kommando - good explanations from him too...

Good luck.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 07:17 AM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think i would be more suited to the dr650. Is it a bigger framed bike than a dr200? I'm not keen on the close ratio gears,on bikes anyway.
Yes. It has a bit more room in the rider compartment than the 200, and it IS a bigger moto overall, but it's still not really "roomy" without a few mods to the ergonomics (taller bars, bar risers, lowered rider pegs, touring pegs, lowered pillion pegs, shaved seat, taller seat...whatever makes it fit ya). It has one of the lowest seat heights of the big thumper dualsports though. I've got a 30" inseam and it's pretty manageable for me without any lowering. I'm no pro dirt rider either.

I ride my DR650 2-up with luggage (tankbag, tank panniers, & topbox) quite a bit. I'm 5'8"/200lb, and my passenger is about 5'4"/petite. If you wanna do 2-up, I'd recommend a more spacious bike (maybe KLR650) if you're bigger than us and want similar luggage. We barely tuck between the tankbag and the topbox, and my knees are tucked right against the tank panniers when my feet are on the stock rider pegs. Lower pegs might help open the legroom up a little though. They're on my list. If you're smaller, just lower the seat height to fit ya (shaved seat, factory lowering method, and/or slid forks with lowering links). I ocasionally ride with a guy that has a stock tank and just a slightly lower seat. His DR feels like a smaller bike than mine.

I just rode back to Spacecoast FL from near Dallas TX on my DR...solo (about 1200 miles at 75+MPH). This was after playing follow-the-leader with my quad-riding nephew in my mom's hilly and wooded pastures on some rainy days. Even with my noob dirt-piloting skills, the big DR easily out-maneuvered and outran the 450 quad in wet grass pastures, clay hills, brush-choked oak and Christmas-tree forest, muddy gullies, sandy pits, and gravel driveway...on a Kenda K761 rear tire and a stock DeathWing front tire. This thing is no race-ready enduro or Goldwing-class touring bike, but it'll travel the same places as both if you've got a real itch to. (I actually rolled along with a Goldwing for a half hour or so on the way from TX, until he got off the slab again...the only other moto I remember encountering, rolling in the same direction, during the entire trip. ) On stock gears, the big DR seemed like it was loping along at 80MPH (indicated), and still pulled nicely when skirting potential trouble. I had no trouble idling it through the trees and roots at mom's either. That wide-ratio tranny and broad torque curve really give the necessary versatility one expects from a dualsport. I don't know what mfrs are thinking when they put a close-ratio tranny and a peaky motor in a non-race moto, and especially in a dualsport. That is the one major flaw in the DR-Z400S, IMO.

Kommando screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 12:31 AM
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,019
I've noted poor results in riding two-up with the DR650. To me, it's a solo bike, without suspension modifications.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I've noted poor results in riding two-up with the DR650. To many, it's a solo FEATHERWEIGHT'S bike, without suspension modifications.
Fixted, so us chunky peoples feel the truth's been told.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 AM   #15
curlysurfer
in need of a ride

Oddometer: 329
Fuel Tanks

Bit of a thread dug out of the grave here, but wanted to know if the an oversized DR tank will fit the DRZ.

Cheers Rob

couple of mountain bikes, 20 or so surfboards, not enough time........
curlysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote