User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #136
Tesla314
>_<

Oddometer: 131
Pass the plate for DakarTeamGB?

I know that when doing anything last minute (much less replacing specialized gear), that throwing money at the problem can be helpful.

So, how can I help throw money at TeamGB? Their website doesn't appear to have a donation link. Anyone know how we can help them?

Tesla314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #137
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla314 View Post
I know that when doing anything last minute (much less replacing specialized gear), that throwing money at the problem can be helpful.

So, how can I help throw money at TeamGB? Their website doesn't appear to have a donation link. Anyone know how we can help them?
Have to say I was thinking the same thing - but in the overall scheme of things I don't think hard cash is what they need (although I am sure it will be appreciated) - it's the local knowledge of where to go, who to talk to, and how to get the right quality kit in the right sizes at less than 24 hours notice.

Annoyingly I have probably got a lot of the stuff they need (in terms of riding kit) sitting in my shop over here in the UK - but absolutely no way of getting it to them in the time frame they are working to.

Fingers crossed for the team - they don't need this now

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #138
Jadon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
We have seen a peculiar post earlier of Coma and Despres claiming to be the best of mates. Anyone else think that team orders are that they have to work together if necessary to keep KTM on the top step of the podium? The challenge from other brands has never been stronger than this year...
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #139
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,795
Syncronising clocks... we don't want to get clock blocked before the start...

Regards all the questions (Hayduke, HillBilly, Aussie66 etc.) about the ceremonial podium start (Dec 31st in Plaza Colon, Mar Del Plata) and the start of the first LEG: Mar del plata to santa Rosa del la pampa etc.

Without an "official" event program/schedule on the dakar.com site anywhere to refer to... I went back and checked thru the previously published event calender/event regulations (tip for the F5 n00bs: it helps to save some "favourites" from the earlier Dakar site links (supp regs, event calender etc.) cause when the go "on line" for the "BIG SHOW" they delete/streamline a lot of the earlier info (and distribute on a need to know basis), so the site is not so "cluttered" during the race proper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Perhaps you're right; another spot on the Dakar site says podium start on the 31st.
As far as I can piece it together (from the event schedule/regs);

Saturday 31st Dec: Tech and administrative inspection for the last of the competitors from 08:00 am to 12:00 midday.

13:30: Activities/entertainment begin at Ceremony start podium - Plaza Colon (mar del plata)

14:30: Driver breifing at Hotel NH (Mar del Plata)

16:00 - 22:00: Podium Start ceremony - Plaza Colon.

The above would seen to indicate that the reference on the dakar website
to the "grand depart" podium ceremony on Jan 1st is a misstake...

As I can best make out...

the "festivities" at the ceremonial start podium get under way on saturday afternoon (after scrutineering and the briefing are completed) with the first competitors on the ramp at somewhere around 15:20 pm to 16:00?

Then as the evening progresses... all competitors pass over the "ramp" and the interviews etc till about 22:00 pm.

Then everybody celebrates 00:00 2012...

Presumeably LEG 1 (jan 1) starts sometime in the wee hours of sunday and follows the schedule below,

The seaside resort of Mar del Plata brings to mind lazing around, especially after the competitors have mingled with the crowd during the public presentation ceremony on 31st December. For the short warm-up special stage, they will nevertheless be allowed to pass by the seafront, where the small dunes to be crossed will represent the first hurdle. In this simple exercise, the fastest time will establish a first winner and determine each competitor's position in the rankings. After this challenge, there will be a long liaison section to be covered to Santa Rosa de la Pampa.

STAGE PROFILE

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:00 AM   #140
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,644
Yes, seems to be some conflict on info - Honda reckon the 1st Jan start is 6.45 am local time - what with the long liaison this would make some sense?

http://www.team-honda-europe.eu/?pag...guage=en&id=20

Well assume 6.45 am - the article say 5.45am but that it is GMT - 4 but it's GMT - 3 so perhaps none the wiser?

too old screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 05:09 AM Reason: added info
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #141
misc
dakar tracker

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla314 View Post

You're right, throwing money helps, sometimes... oh sry I shouldn't be reading this... back to my site
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #142
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161

Photo: APA/Groder

KTM motorsports consultant Heinz Kinigadner went F5: he manages the factory effort from his home in Tirol, Austria. A true F5er, he knows that "I know more about what happens than the boys over there. The support trucks call me, because I see everything on my computer."

Kini goes on to say that the big car companies have changed the spirit of the Dakar: "They have established the use of big, climate controlled RVs for the stars to sleep in. This year, the KTM pilots will use RVs as well for the first time."

Heinz, MX world champion of '84 and '85 and 7-times Dakar competitor has no fantasies about the Dakar returning "home":"The Dakar has found her place in South America. I don't think the Rally will ever return. The organizers claim to have 4 million spectators, this is a huge market for all factories. Of course, there's a drop of bitterness for many who have competed in Africa. When you don't see a truck for 10 kilometers in South America, you know you're lost. In Africa, I often was 600 km away from the next Touareg village. I knew, if I have a problem now, it's gonna be a real adventure."

Source: Der Standard of Vienna (German). Link Translation by me.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #143
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,360
Good Grief!

When I last visited this thread - just a few short hours ago - there were exactly two posts, the OP and a Place Holder. Caught a nap and I'm 9 pages behind already!

EDIT: Make that 10 pages behind!

Whyohwhyohwhy did I volunteer to help friends with cooking the New Year's dinner, 80-odd miles away????

On the plus side, at least this year I know where the F5 key is!

Rock on, Racers!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #144
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,564
CAUGHT UP!!

Carry on...

PS: So we still don't know when the podium fiesta will take place? F5ck that! I have TN on since this morning, they have frequent reports and stories from the Dakar but no mention about the podium party...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #145
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,019

Go everybody!
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:57 AM   #146
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Remember the mention of Flood and ADVrider.com in last year's commentary ?
Yes I do, that was awesome. Hang on, wasn't that in 2009 already?

Anyway, maybe Flood or Doyle can tell us if Carlton visits ADVrider and or the cliff notes. I can't imagine anyone out there in the field keeps up with this thread. I know I wont be when I'm out there for the last four stages.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #147
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
CAUGHT UP!!

Carry on...

PS: So we still don't know when the podium fiesta will take place? F5ck that! I have TN on since this morning, they have frequent reports and stories from the Dakar but no mention about the podium party...

It will be at 3:20 pm today.

They will leave starting 06h45 tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:59 AM   #148
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Today's TN Dakar show should start NOW (10:00 AM local):

http://tn.com.ar/envivo/24hs

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #149
MapRider
Trapped

Oddometer: 179
ultra n00b

I believe I'm in, going to shut up now.

MapRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #150
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Meanwhile for some, the drama class continues.

The vessel carrying the container with the SA boys' bikes are about 40 nm out of Buenos Aires. At its current speed, it will only dock iin about 4 hours time, which would make that 13h00 Argentinian local time. Then they still have to offload the container and get through customs. Not looking very good but let's hold thumbs!

Can you just imagine how the guys waiting for their bikes are feeling right now?

How long does it take to offload a ship filled with containers?
How long will the customs clearing take?
How long will it take to unpack the container and load the bikes onto the trailer?
How long will it take to drive 500km to MdP?

I reckon it will be nothing short of a miracle if they get to MdP at 8am tomorrow. That being the case -and as much as i dont want to say this- it will be a very, very unusual and kind gesture by the ASO to let them scrutineer the bikes tomorrow. That's if the bikes have been fully prepped already of course...and its certain that they don't have sentinels iritracks etc. already installed.

Seriously depressing.