Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #181
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Meanwhile for some, the drama class continues.

The vessel carrying the container with the SA boys' bikes are about 40 nm out of Buenos Aires. At its current speed, it will only dock iin about 4 hours time, which would make that 13h00 Argentinian local time. Then they still have to offload the container and get through customs. Not looking very good but let's hold thumbs!

Can you just imagine how the guys waiting for their bikes are feeling right now?

How long does it take to offload a ship filled with containers?
How long will the customs clearing take?
How long will it take to unpack the container and load the bikes onto the trailer?
How long will it take to drive 500km to MdP?

I reckon it will be nothing short of a miracle if they get to MdP at 8am tomorrow. That being the case -and as much as i dont want to say this- it will be a very, very unusual and kind gesture by the ASO to let them scrutineer the bikes tomorrow. That's if the bikes have been fully prepped already of course...and its certain that they don't have sentinels iritracks etc. already installed.

Seriously depressing.

How many pesos or francs would it take to get that ship into and unloaded at the naval base? or zip out there with a navy tug and cherry pic the container. its sitting right offshore from the looks of it, come on!
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #182
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,215
woot

Herre is another guy with passion:

Manuel Lucchese #172:

"Hey friends, i’d like to spend a lot of time describing you all that has happened in these days in which i arrived to Buenos Aires and came down to Mar del Plata. A lot is going on, i am having many logistic problems because i am with very little money and there are some other few problems since i am without a mechanic. Today i put my bike in the Parc Fermè but i still have lots to do on it because i didn’t even test it! Now i will race to bed because its 1 am in Argentina. Here some photos i hope you will enjoy. PS. today the Dakar television crew followed me during all scrutineering and spoke about my crazy story also with a nice interview….23 years to Dakar with no money, no job, no house!"

This boy could win on heart alone. Or Crazy. But he's going for it.

from the Blog: http://www.ladakar.com/2011/12/30/so...-event-photos/
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #183
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
As far as we're concerned you are a Rock Star!!! Go Ned Go!

Hugs and kisses!
Umbrella girl candidate right here, Ned!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #184
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Umbrella girl candidate right here, Ned!

Hi Roger!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #185
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,520
Go Manuel!!!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #186
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,205
This is a lot to quote but...I guess that I maybe see the logic in such a stage.

The short 'timed' section wouldn't be unlike the opening 'prologue' in the Tour De France.

The long 'liason' seems a little weird but...it may actually be good for the competitors to be able to do sort of a 'shake down' run to make sure everything is working properly.

That way if something isn't quite right after having the bike/vehicle shipped across the world and re-assembled they won't lose a bunch of 'race time' getting it sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Regards all the questions (Hayduke, HillBilly, Aussie66 etc.) about the ceremonial podium start (Dec 31st in Plaza Colon, Mar Del Plata) and the start of the first LEG: Mar del plata to santa Rosa del la pampa etc.

Without an "official" event program/schedule on the dakar.com site anywhere to refer to... I went back and checked thru the previously published event calender/event regulations (tip for the F5 n00bs: it helps to save some "favourites" from the earlier Dakar site links (supp regs, event calender etc.) cause when the go "on line" for the "BIG SHOW" they delete/streamline a lot of the earlier info (and distribute on a need to know basis), so the site is not so "cluttered" during the race proper).

As far as I can piece it together (from the event schedule/regs);

Saturday 31st Dec: Tech and administrative inspection for the last of the competitors from 08:00 am to 12:00 midday.

13:30: Activities/entertainment begin at Ceremony start podium - Plaza Colon (mar del plata)

14:30: Driver breifing at Hotel NH (Mar del Plata)

16:00 - 22:00: Podium Start ceremony - Plaza Colon.

The above would seen to indicate that the reference on the dakar website
to the "grand depart" podium ceremony on Jan 1st is a misstake...

As I can best make out...

the "festivities" at the ceremonial start podium get under way on saturday afternoon (after scrutineering and the briefing are completed) with the first competitors on the ramp at somewhere around 15:20 pm to 16:00?

Then as the evening progresses... all competitors pass over the "ramp" and the interviews etc till about 22:00 pm.

Then everybody celebrates 00:00 2012...

Presumeably LEG 1 (jan 1) starts sometime in the wee hours of sunday and follows the schedule below,

The seaside resort of Mar del Plata brings to mind lazing around, especially after the competitors have mingled with the crowd during the public presentation ceremony on 31st December. For the short warm-up special stage, they will nevertheless be allowed to pass by the seafront, where the small dunes to be crossed will represent the first hurdle. In this simple exercise, the fastest time will establish a first winner and determine each competitor's position in the rankings. After this challenge, there will be a long liaison section to be covered to Santa Rosa de la Pampa.

STAGE PROFILE

Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #187
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post

Hi Roger!
Hi Tami.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #188
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDingo View Post
If anyone's interested, I've compiles a list of folks live-tweeting Dakar via the Twitter. You can check it out here:

http://www.desertdingo.com/blog/foll...r-live-online/

I'm new to Adventure Rider. Love the Dakar info.

Jim
Welcome aboard Jim. Thanks for the info you compiled!
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #189
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
This is a lot to quote but...I guess that I maybe see the logic in such a stage.

The short 'timed' section wouldn't be unlike the opening 'prologue' in the Tour De France.

The long 'liason' seems a little weird but...it may actually be good for the competitors to be able to do sort of a 'shake down' run to make sure everything is working properly.

That way if something isn't quite right after having the bike/vehicle shipped across the world and re-assembled they won't lose a bunch of 'race time' getting it sorted.
I'd assumed that the first day was about what knybanjo said and giving the spectators and eyeful. I assume they'll be lining the road all the way to the bivouac.
Death Valley Ride
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #190
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

So right now the riders who are truly up a creek without a paddle are the South Africans, is that right? Man, that's depressing.
Death Valley Ride
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #191
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
So right now the riders who are truly up a creek without a paddle are the South Africans, is that right? Man, that's depressing.
Well, there's the guys with stolen gear, and the guys with bikes still on a boat
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #192
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Well, there's the guys with stolen gear, and the guys with bikes still on a boat
I meant, are the South Africans the ones with their bikes still on the boat?

And does anyone have updates on Team Dakar GB? Can't someone ride into Buenos Aires and find a motorcycle shop with the gear they need? Is there a motorcycle store in Mar del Plata or B.A. that can take payment from paypal or online another way?
Death Valley Ride
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #193
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Hi Everybody,
after absence in 2011 (I was diving at Simmilan islands near Thailand) I am back doing blog and Eurosport (CZ) commentary etc...
We do not have many bikers in the rally this year (just Jan Vesely) and one quad (5x Dakar winner Josef Machacek). Five trucks, but this is out of my scope.
Honza (familiar name for Jan at us) Vesely passed scrutineering OK, but there are HUGE problems for Josef Machacek and others with modified quads (I got message that problematic are 8 quads in total). I´ve been told that some argentinian riders claimed protest against others and FIM and organisers now negotiate if those quads will be allowed to compete or not. I don´t have exact information, but for sure Josef Machacek is riding same quad as at least 3 polish riders and the quads are modified according to regulations and are street legal etc. I think it is hard to believe, that some riders would be so scared from competition to use protest to eliminate others even before start, but it happened in past (remember 2005 and De Rooy team with DAF trucks)... We will see...
As far, as I understand, Machacek´s quad is not using injection but carburator etc...
Problem is quite simple, rules this year establishes max 750 cc for quads.
Machacez quad, and his team uses same tdm 900cc as in previous years, so they are out of rules.
I know some of the argentienan quad drivers, and they were really happy that the 900 were out of the race so more competitve with production quads with mpds.
It happen that these quads are now being reconsidered as leagl, even rules are very clear (I am at the phoen, no rules here, but have it at notebook, will post later).
Even last year winner, Alejandro Patronelli quit to use last year 900cc quad, at took 2010 700cc Raptor.
So I do nor believe it is someone being scared of someone else,just claim to use same rules for all°!!!!
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #194
Laffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Pal Anders Ullevalseter

Reading from PA's website today that everything is sorted; his team-mate Arredondo as well as his mechanics are ready for the challenge!
http://dakar.no/no/Nyheter/-/242/59

Unloaded ships
However, he has not yet got an extra support-vehicle. This is a camper with two drivers(mechanics?), wich is still stuck on a ship in Buenos Aires. It seems that they regard it as a minor issue and concentrate fully on the rally and what they got.
Apparently this is one of 3 ships, that are yet to be unloaded with 10-15 motorcycles and a few cars that were supposed to be ready for the rally by now.
I suspect that the equipment for the guys from SA and NZ are amongst those who are awaiting their bikes and cars?
And who are the other unfortunate ones that have not yet received their equipment?

According to PA's website, the extra support-vehicle will be ready the 3rd.
How long will it take for them to catch up with the rally, and it is even possible?

And if PA's support-vehicle won't be ready before the 3rd, what then with the rest of the rally raiders bikes and cars?
It looks preety bleek, but I hope the message on the website is not to accurate.

Any more insight on this anyone?

Go Pal Anders!!!!! - Norwegian, strong, fast and down to earth.

Manuel Lucchese!!!!! - For pure heart!

Laffi screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 08:36 AM Reason: The odd speeling and publishing a link...
Laffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #195
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I meant, are the South Africans the ones with their bikes still on the boat?

And does anyone have updates on Team Dakar GB? Can't someone ride into Buenos Aires and find a motorcycle shop with the gear they need? Is there a motorcycle store in Mar del Plata or B.A. that can take payment from paypal or online another way?
Man I hope they work it out. I'd be up a creek without my tools. Weird enough to use helmets and boots I'd never worn, before...
I keep thinking- its tough to assume that that was a random lucky break for a couple of theives. SOmebody had to know there was a bunch of good stuff inside, and when they'd be gone.
Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Boats or stolen- I dont know which is worse