Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #14476
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
... a stranger one, remember when Coma lost the 2007 on 13rd stage? He was unconscious and flown out. Then an ASO helicopter flew is bike to where Pujol was stranded after a fall and he managed to canibalize Coma's bike and finish the rally.
IIRC Comas bike was dropped at a check point which would make sense so the camion could collect it later. I seem to remember bikes being refuelled in the background. I guess Pujol was lucky enough to make the CP and then find a whole bikes worth of spares there!
ADV being what it is I'm sure someone will find the footage quicksmart! (And prove me wrong!)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #14477
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
Other side of the show comes, when you are on 109 km/h and organization car will pass you with more than 150 km/h. Or Red Bull Mini with bivouac stickers, or Fox News Amarok.
This was very frustrating for me, also.

- Photo cars often drove parallel to the course, upwind. So, I would have to slow down and take a big risk to get through their dust.

- The bikes had very low speed limits in some towns. In places, we were limited to 50kph while local traffic was going by at 100 or more. To me, this was the most dangerous part of the entire Dakar.

- The Amaroks were the worst violators on the public roads that I saw- many very dangerous passes, disregard for competitors, I was very unimpressed.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #14478
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,577
Yes!

Yes we were there, it was a surreal moment, NOTHING, so quiet not a sound...and then.

We were stopped still and there was this pushbike coming down the hill (mountain range).

It was all so quiet (till this bunch of dutchies came along and stopped right by us with TV cameras! )

The whole Dakar we were subjected to continual noise and I say that this moment was the only silence we experienced on the whole trip. It was amazing, then the Tulip Munchers turned up with their cameras..

.to their credit one did have a Kiwi T-shirt on, so forgiven a little then the trucks started to rumble past again.

Silence over...

and then they were gone,

Silence for another couple of minutes...and then that was gone too!

...and the circus rolls on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Have you see this man?

It's a Dutchman cycling from the south of Argentina to Peru on his own.
This is on the liason from Argentina to Chili, the cancelled stage.
The day before he was picked up by the security because off the snow and was brought to the douanepost, and sleeped there in a shed.
Next day, this day, all the Dakar vehicles passed him on this long stage.
He was happy to meet the Dakar.

From dutch television.
Cheers
Pilbara

Pilbara screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 04:07 PM
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #14479
neduro
Addict

The interview with Ben is awesome!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #14480
Pilbara
In the flow...

It was the Double Yellow Line - Blind Corner passing

in these conditions

that REALYY freaked me and, as 690RR says it was 'ze organizacion' who were the most frequent offenders.
Some of it was just plain suicidal

Cheers
Pilbara

Quote:
one more insight a lot of people in bivouac was pissed about, that probably even F5 team did not catch.
Organization had involved traffic rules for assistance. In praxis it meant top speed for all assistance vehicles, controlled by Tripy GPS. I talked to manager of sales of Tripy one night in bivouac, he was not very happy about using Tripy as a controlling devise, as it was designed as electronic road book, not for controlling people. They made him to pull everybody's logg from Tripy (I think 4 times in the whole race, but you got check backwards whole trip) and they had 2 of their own people going through the data to pinpoint rule breakers.

Do not understand me wrong, there is ok to stop people from driving like maniacs, avoid traffic disasters, and 110km top speed was quite ok. It does a lot of pressure for driver to watch its top speed all the time, as you need to get to bivouac as soon as possible and transport is often over 600 km long, but it is understandable.

Other side of the show comes, when you are on 109 km/h and organization car will pass you with more than 150 km/h. Or Red Bull Mini with bivouac stickers, or Fox News Amarok. Apparently there are different meters for A.S.O. cars and the rest of the world. Probably A.S.O.'s 20 years old Toyotas are lot safer and drivers more skilled than anyone other, or they got rule exception from country government ??

Unfair world there ...
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #14481
nicogc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Arredondo's bike lacked water after one stage in Argentina. Whole 1 liter was gone. But when I talked to him, he said he was overheating bike a lot when got stuck, but since bike still worked, he didn't bother to check water and just continued. It was amazing, that bike survived without water for 130 km, but I just filled in water, changed radiator pressure cover to be sure and tested it outside. Bike did not lacked compression, started easily and I got easy 162 km/h on dirt road outside, so engine got "go" forward for few more days.

Next day 2 dcl was missing, but I just blamed the terrible conditions out there.

Third day he came without 5 dcl and then I just had to react. At the end, found out that thermosensor on radiator was faulty, and fan did not start. Engine was so hot in some point, that water pump impeller melted around shaft and was spinning loose. So at least one day bike was completely without water pump.

The funny thing is, that the beasty engine was still ok, no lack of compression and no spoons, everything just fine.

Anyway, third time we were already heading for rest day, so I swapped engine for a fresh one.

It is amazing that first engine survived that heat without functional water pump, and even oil coming out of engine was not black at all.

But it is easy to upgrade water pump, I just never tried it, this was first time I experienced any problem with cooling. And I will quite sure leave it original, as this was simply hardware failure.
thanks 690RR for your reply. i was asking because one of the guys (Tato Henriech) here did not finish because of the same problem you describe with Arredondo's bike. a few days missing water then the third day he went into a creek crossing and bike died and never started again.
$50,000 for a bike with an engine that lasted only 3 or 4 stages can get anybody really mad :(
bad luck, bad driving, bad engine???? many questions...................
nicogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #14482
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
Yes we were there, it was a surreal moment, NOTHING, so quiet not a sound...and then.

Cheers
Pilbara
Thanks, liked your total set off dakar pictures.

Hope some others have such a set too, too see what's on and next to the road.
Give me a hint!!

Myway screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 06:01 PM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #14483
sick_boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Yeah, man! Agreed....and so is the Prata video. Thanks guys.

EDIT - almost forgot about 690's input. Top notch!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #14484
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
@pilbara, Roadmaintance. Where?

Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #14485
neduro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogc View Post
a few days missing water ... and bike died and never started again.
$50,000 for a bike with an engine that lasted only 3 or 4 stages can get anybody really mad :(
I find it hard to blame the bike in this scenario. I was very impressed by what I saw of the 450 Rally- durable, strong, fast.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #14486
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
I find it hard to blame the bike in this scenario. I was very impressed by what I saw of the 450 Rally- durable, strong, fast.
Would you consider that the KTM 450 RR would be the bike of choice for Malles class?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #14487
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Nope, I mean I can go after torrents or such but it's annoying. I have Eurosport on my ADSL TV package and it's dubbed to Portuguese. The guy keeps confusing Laya Sanz with Rosa Romero, Aprilias with Yamaha's you name it... I then paid a subscription to get Eurosport through the web, according to their advertising I should be able to choose whatever language, but I couldn't. Only PT. Complained to customer service, got a stupid answer when Dakar was already over, unsubscribed.

Definitely something I'll have to improve next year.
You should at least be able to catch one of the ES streams. The video quality isn't great, but at least it runs close to real time...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #14488
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post

We were stopped still and there was this pushbike coming down the hill (mountain range).

Cheers
Pilbara
So cool! Why did I not realize that you were down there this year?

Quote:
Thanks! I'm pretty sure he thinks we're a bunch of freaks. No, really, we can't get enough info... really...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #14489
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

This is first day of the Marathon, inside neutralization. This place was right after bridge on the right side. First I stopped and talked to Wojta from Orlen Team, left on the picture, but that decided to split forces and went on towards refueling point. That way KTM could help my driver there and I could help them and Orlen further on next to refuel. (sounds complicated, but neutralization was over 100 km long and sometimes just extra jacket and bottle of Coke makes all the difference to get these throttle twisters into right mood).
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #14490
Pilbara
In the flow...

The Marathon Day, doin it tough...

Quote:

Sorry My Way, location is secret But as we had local intel contacts, we, were in the know

But there was someone promoting Inka Kola, I understand it is now a national drink in Peru

By The Way, If you were ever wondering what to do with those spare rotors you have lying around...

and we did have to do some bartering with the locals to get them on side

They told us what secret markings to look out for to find the secret road maintenance stop. Turns out they were pretty easy to find.

We would have been stuffed though with out local knowledge and help. Glad we got it as it really showed us how the marathon was rolling out.
Found Coma to be pretty cool - relaxed

He was on top of it

trouble is he was just a little too cocky and did not realise what was going on next door. One of the KTM boys just happened to spot out of the corner of his eye that Cyril's Karhoonas were a little retracted

So he went in for a closer look

Lucky he did...adjustments were made, relieved, they measured up OK and he went out and won the stage!

...oh well he might have come second too, but he beat Coma anyway

But here is the real scoop. There is a saying that what happens on the road stays on the road, but this one is just so KTM clever that all the F5ers out there do deserve to know.

Notice that the KTM mechanics are pretending to frantically perform modification works on Cyril's bike to the extent that Coma is also captivated behind with his helmet on wondering what is going on when in reality if you look closely to the left of the photo the Kahoona adjuster is very discreetly and without looking like he is doing anything refueling secret performance enhancing liquids into Cyril!

Only full factory support can provide these sort of performance enhancements in secret locations marked by signs that others thought were just graffiti
Would you know which way to go?

Dis is de Dakar!

And it does not stop there, I bet ASO didn't even know about this secret tyre inflation device

Cheers
Pilbra (AKA Pilbara but I cannot sign out as Pilbara due to the incredibly secret and covert information given in this post)