Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #46
flumpmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My friend and I met a couple of girls at a festival in Switzerland when we were teenagers. At then end of the evening we agreed to go back to their place. They were is a car (full), we were on road bikes (no lights) and the town where they lived was about 30 miles away. That was about the last thing I remembered until the next morning...

We woke up in a potato field at the side of the road about 10 miles from the festival the when the sun came up. This was my first taste of guerilla camping. Since then I have:
  • Slept rough in the bushes in a small park in the center of Geneva (bad idea - they clean the streets with water tankers in the wee small hours - ask me how I know.)
  • Done a forced bivouac just below the summit of the Eiger in a one season sleeping bag when we ran out of daylight. Not one of the greatest nights sleep...
  • Slept rough in a few railway stations and been kicked awake by a few unfriendly cops (Berlin was the worst).
  • Bedded down in a grave yard in the Lake district after an epic drive.
  • Bivyed in the Wansee forest close to Berlin and was woken by a boar
  • Spent many nights sleeping on the beach along the Texas coast with the trampoline of my Hobie cat as my bed and the waves as white noise.

I love guerilla camping - You never appreciate the sunrise and a warm drink more!
flumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #47
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpmaster View Post
. That was about the last thing I remembered until the next morning...

We woke up in a potato field at the side of the road about 10 miles from the festival the when the sun came up. This was my first taste of guerilla camping.
The last thing you remember, or the last thing you're willing to share

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #48
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,551
I once handled a coroner case on a homeless person who guerrilla camped in the meridian of Ca. hwy 99. He looked so peaceful underneath the 18 wheeler that ate up 500 yds of Oleander bushes and rested the front axle under his chin.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #49
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
Another gory end to a guerilla camper.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #50
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,146
I have done more than a few guerilla campouts. As a young guy, I brought a green tarp and made a lean to: fixed it to the bike on one side and the ground on the other. I found the key was to camp in dense brush/trees etc. I also discovered that getting settled in before dark helped because what looks like a well hidden spot in the dark often turned out to be rather conspicuous in daylight. The perils I encountered were usually in the form of bruises and cramps from sleeping at odd angles on rocks and sticks.

As I have gotten older "Stealth Camping" means not staying at a nationally known motel chain...

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #51
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,699
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Harley Dealerships usually have some good covered area to camp. Most of the guys there are riders and as long as you explain your situation probably wouldn't care as long as you wern't there when customers started showing up.
Well, not as long as you're riding one of the new shiny ones. No greasy pan head or shovel heads allowed! At least that's the attitude exuded by the local one where I used to live along with some others I've read about...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #52
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
OK Mark53:

I meant no disrespect about the plausibility of soldiers tying their boot laces together and it is not really an important point. It just seemed counterintuitive to me. If gunfire woke up everyone in my group, the last thing I would want to be doing is untying boot laces. I mean, sure, your buddy might be very still for you in the dark but I would be trying to stand up and he couldn't get at my laces.

Maybe ask for some clarification when you next visit with your vet buddy. He has clearly paid his dues and if he is writing books, might be willing to clarify their rationale on the boot lace thing, or maybe not. As I said, it is really a minor point.

Lee
Yes, it is a minor point. For them it wasn't about gun fire, it was noise in the brush on the trail near them. They needed to wake each other with minimal movement so as to not make noise themselves. You have to realize they weren't on some front line, they were on a very small patrol in the middle of no where. Essentially they were guerillas, as unusual as that might seem. They were prowling the same countryside in the same manner as the VC, not out there in force, like most troops were. That was the plan by the higher command to keep the company from ever hitting the news again, essentially break them up into small groups and do useless, yet extremely dangerous, missions. He was just unfortunate enough to be in that company.

He actually just wrote a short book about his year in 'Nam, not published for sale at this point. I've got to get ahold of him to get a copy to read.

Mark - klx678
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #53
markk53
jack of all trades...

The stories are so interesting I want to go out and "guerilla camp" as soon as possible....

On second thought...
nah!

Mark - klx678
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #54
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
... You have to realize they weren't on some front line, they were on a very small patrol in the middle of no where. Essentially they were guerillas, as unusual as that might seem. They were prowling the same countryside in the same manner as the VC, not out there in force, like most troops were....
I just picked up a copy of "Reflections of a Warrior" - the story of Jim Miller. It speaks of similar situations and groups in 'Nam when he was on Recon. Eight or nine guys would be a "big" group to him back then, where-as five was about right for most situations.

They did not sleep in camps; they slept in the jungle in new places each night and, I guess, on the jungle floor at times. One time they did dig out a straw stack to sleep in due to being on the edge of a hurricane, but posted guards at the entrance. They woke up with scorpions sticking to them...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...00_i00_details

For the purposes of this thread I wish he would have described what they did to avoid the insects and such while sleeping. He does speak of carpenter ants eating out the bottom of a sleeping pad he took from a supply helicopter, and wrote that he never used an inflatable pad after that because of it... but then that makes we wonder just what did he sleep on that was immune to carpenter ants?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 08:20 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #55
Wladziu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Go find out.
Wladziu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #56
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Well, not as long as you're riding one of the new shiny ones. No greasy pan head or shovel heads allowed! At least that's the attitude exuded by the local one where I used to live along with some others I've read about...

No kidding, call them and try to get a chain for your FL

"Sir, Harley's have belts"
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #57
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
I once spent the night tucked inside of one of those shed-sized Goodwill donation boxes. Pretty comfy and warm nestled in there among all the donated clothes.

Sure got some strange looks the next morning from all the folks at the bus stop when I climbed out and started strapping my stuff back on the bike, though.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #58
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
sleep on the beach in my bag on top of a pad in key west on the edge of the military base and no one told us to leave. it was ideal until it started to rain monsoon-style.
we were so drunk it did not matter.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #59
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
sleep on the beach in my bag on top of a pad in key west on the edge of the military base and no one told us to leave. it was ideal until it started to rain monsoon-style.
we were so drunk it did not matter.

Hey, I did that too! Southernmost Beach? Slept there overnight after riding down there from Titusville, took a dip in the ocean in the morning, it was like stepping into a warm bath.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #60
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
For the purposes of this thread I wish he would have described what they did to avoid the insects and such while sleeping. He does speak of carpenter ants eating out the bottom of a sleeping pad he took from a supply helicopter, and wrote that he never used an inflatable pad after that because of it... but then that makes we wonder just what did he sleep on that was immune to carpenter ants?
This is why you bring your own anteaters and mongooses.. pest control. If you're a particularly surly biker you can get by with just one honey badger, though.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote