Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Hanging off is not just for racers and sport bike guys. It makes a big difference in cornering speed when you have limited ground clearance.

So if you go to the dark side you should also work up those hanging off skills?

Truly, hanging off on a Goldwing is kind of like working on your Winnebago drifting technique. Sure, you can do it but what's the point?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #32
nulluser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post

Truly, hanging off on a Goldwing is kind of like working on your Winnebago drifting technique. Sure, you can do it but what's the point?
Don't underestimate a Goldwing with a skilled rider!

nulluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
HONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulluser View Post
Don't underestimate a Goldwing with a skilled rider!

His commitment level is WAY higher than a equal rider on a more capable bike, and commitment is not what is needed on the street.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #34
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONKR View Post
His commitment level is WAY higher than a equal rider on a more capable bike, and commitment is not what is needed on the street.
ive seen this guy ride down there and chatted with him .
He's got some track time before the wing..
When its ingrained to corner a certain way you dont just turn it on and off.Doesnt really matter what bike.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #35
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:

omfg!!

The purpose of hanging off any bike is to achieve a faster corner speed, without running out of chassis clearance, or contact patch and crashing. I thought we went over this already..

Never have drifted a motorhome, but I've drifted a 1 ton dually chevy with a 12 foot steel dump bed. It was on a dirt road, and was quite fun, and... I got home a good 10 minutes earlier. That's the point. You should get out more.and open your mind.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #36
lemieuxmc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
omfg!!

The purpose of hanging off any bike is to achieve a faster corner speed, without running out of chassis clearance, or contact patch and crashing. I thought we went over this already..

Never have drifted a motorhome, but I've drifted a 1 ton dually chevy with a 12 foot steel dump bed. It was on a dirt road, and was quite fun, and... I got home a good 10 minutes earlier. That's the point. You should get out more.and open your mind.
I drifted Uncle Sams LMTV quite a bit on the dirt roads at Camp Shelby before going over to Iraq. I thought it might be good to know just how fast you could go in the thing if you really had to. It's not a very safe thing for the average driver to do and I would chew out the soldiers under my command if I found out that they did it without me there.

Now if you are a doctor rushing to the hospital and a Goldwing was the only vehicle at hand...

Or you might equate it to having a wild night of drunken sex with a 300 pound transexual. You did it, you had a good time, but afterward you realized that it was pretty lame and couldn't believe that you actually hit that action.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #37
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:

The point is that it can be a lot of fun riding fast on a bike that has limited cornering clearance and is not normally considered fast. I used to have a blast surprising guys on sport bikes on my 83 Yamaha Venture. And yes, I did hang off.

But then, If I have to explain this to you, it's not likely that you'll understand.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
lemieuxmc
Banned

But didn't the Yamaha handle kind of funny with Shirley the 300 pound transexual on the back?

I don't even want to try to understand...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

I'm sure there are many out there who wonder exactly why lemieuxmc is so against hanging off on the street. He actually does have a very good reason. Originally I wasn't going to post this story, but then I figured that people have a right to know.

Here' the story behind his hatred for hanging off.

Some time back, lemieuxmc got bored to constantly posting stuff to enlighten all of the un-educated inmates on ADV and he was tired of cruising the streets of La Jolla. He had heard that there was some good riding on Palomar Mountain so he decided to ride there. He was amazed at all the great scenery and twisty roads that existed outside of the city limits. Then he got to Palomar mountain and decided to ride up the East grade. He started up the mountain, thrilled at being able to lean his bike one way then the other on the constant high speed sweepers. Despite not hanging off he was absolutely enthralled with the feeling of speed. He felt that he now knew exactly how Valentino Rossi felt.

This went on for miles. What a ride

Then suddenly his ride was rudely interrupted by by a loud "potato potato potato" sound. Then a large motorcycle, piloted by a large person who was hanging off, crossed the double yellow line ( gasp! ) and passed him on the inside of a curve. His mood was instantly ruined. Too make matters worse, there were witnesses and it soon became known that he had been passed by Shirley on a Road King. He has never been able to live this down.

And that as they say is "the rest of the story"

Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #40
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,787

My boy at 14.

Because it's fun........................

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #41
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
ive seen this guy ride down there and chatted with him .
He's got some track time before the wing..
When its ingrained to corner a certain way you dont just turn it on and off.Doesnt really matter what bike.

Now that last line sounds like an entertaining old wives' tale!

When I was racing short track and went to harescrambling I certainly didn't try to slide around every corner dragging my left foot, much less try to do so when I started street riding. A racer simply does what they deem necessary to go around a corner at the rate of speed they are running, the corner being ridden, and the surface they are on. Both Gary Nixon and Ken Roberts were quite adept at separating the need to stick a foot out and slide in every corner when they were roadracing.

Otherwise we could identify every former road racer and every former flat tracker as they either hung off or slid sideways around every corner at every intersection since they couldn't "just turn it on and off". Sounds like that guy was screwing with your head.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #42
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Now that last line sounds like an entertaining old wives' tale!

When I was racing short track and went to harescrambling I certainly didn't try to slide around every corner dragging my left foot, much less try to do so when I started street riding. A racer simply does what they deem necessary to go around a corner at the rate of speed they are running, the corner being ridden, and the surface they are on. Both Gary Nixon and Ken Roberts were quite adept at separating the need to stick a foot out and slide in every corner when they were roadracing.

Otherwise we could identify every former road racer and every former flat tracker as they either hung off or slid sideways around every corner at every intersection since they couldn't "just turn it on and off". Sounds like that guy was screwing with your head.
the wing guy was not sliding .What the hell are you talking about?
The "cant turn it off and on" was from me ..My thoughts ,based on my experience. Were just talking about good body position for conering here .Dont have a clue where you are coming from Do you even know? Maybe just want to bash cause you cant do it too well? Better stick to dirt

high dangler screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 12:08 PM
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #43
lemieuxmc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm sure there are many out there who wonder exactly why lemieuxmc is so against hanging off on the street. He actually does have a very good reason. Originally I wasn't going to post this story, but then I figured that people have a right to know.

Here' the story behind his hatred for hanging off.

Some time back, lemieuxmc got bored to constantly posting stuff to enlighten all of the un-educated inmates on ADV and he was tired of cruising the streets of La Jolla. He had heard that there was some good riding on Palomar Mountain so he decided to ride there. He was amazed at all the great scenery and twisty roads that existed outside of the city limits. Then he got to Palomar mountain and decided to ride up the East grade. He started up the mountain, thrilled at being able to lean his bike one way then the other on the constant high speed sweepers. Despite not hanging off he was absolutely enthralled with the feeling of speed. He felt that he now knew exactly how Valentino Rossi felt.

This went on for miles. What a ride

Then suddenly his ride was rudely interrupted by by a loud "potato potato potato" sound. Then a large motorcycle, piloted by a large person who was hanging off, crossed the double yellow line ( gasp! ) and passed him on the inside of a curve. His mood was instantly ruined. Too make matters worse, there were witnesses and it soon became known that he had been passed by Shirley on a Road King. He has never been able to live this down.

And that as they say is "the rest of the story"
Just another beautiful day on Mt. Palomar, too bad you missed it.

"Hanging off and making unsafe passes are to sport bikes as loud pipes and assless chaps are to cruisers"

You don't need to hang off to pass me on Palomar, I'll move over, ease off, and wave you by when it's safe.

See Dick ride fast, see Dick hanging off, see Dick crashing.

Don't be a Dick!

Surely, you should have known...
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #44
lemieuxmc
Banned

Sometimes hanging off is a bad idea...
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just another beautiful day on Mt. Palomar, too bad you missed it.

"Hanging off and making unsafe passes are to sport bikes as loud pipes and assless chaps are to cruisers"

You don't need to hang off to pass me on Palomar, I'll move over, ease off, and wave you by when it's safe.

See Dick ride fast, see Dick hanging off, see Dick crashing.

Don't be a Dick!

Surely, you should have known...
I'm sure I would have enjoyed a ride up Palomar Mountain, it's been about 15 years since my last time.

As for hanging off, passing, and riding fast, they can all be done safely or unsafely. It all depends on the rider.