Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
kaia OP
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
Talking Dakar 2012 - Official Cliff Notes Version

For those who can't or don't have time to drink from the firehose, here's the Cliff Notes version of our Dakar coverage for this year... I'm taking over since PackMule is a otherwise busy. If i miss anything, please feel free to PM me and i'll get it added. I'll be watching the multiple threads with vigilance, keeping the posts here as concise as possible. Game ON!

Doyle's Synopsis from the main thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Well, here we are again, another year, another multi-week flurry of posts, disappointed employers, spouses, and woefully neglected children.

I know we have a few threads going already, but with the pre-race thread at 42 pages let's concentrate that one on all the pre-rally preparation and this one on the day to day rally results and news.

For the n00bs, this will be the firehose at full blast. Last year's thread went 501 pages, 12,453 posts, and over 750K views...full speed ahead, buckle your seatbelts. Also, for a primer on following along, specifically on where to find and how to decipher some of the information on Dakar.com, check this thread.

Daily Information:
Another great source is Facebook. May be tough if you haven't 'friended' many of the riders, but it seems like the most up to date information on a rider by rider basis hit's FB first, even over twitter.

For this viewing via mobile, I'll add shameless plugs for my feeds. I'll be doing my best to keep the twitter feed rolling with play by play and then daily wrap ups at the minimum via my blog RallyRaidReview.

Where to listen:

Where to watch:
  • NBCSports. There is no telling what this years US/Canadian coverage may be since Versus, formerly OLN, was recently bought by NBC Sports. NBCS will be broadcasting Dakar, check your local listings. East Coast US coverage looks to be starting at 1:30am on January 2nd.
  • Also of course, Eurosport.com runs two updates daily, an interview update and then a stage/daily coverage show. Check either the media or torrent threads as those are the best sources for this information.
  • Eurosport always puts on some great pre-race content to whet your appetite. Check out the Destination Dakar and Roadbook videos on the Eurosport site.
  • SBS - Looks like coverage starts on the 2nd with daily updates at 17:30 local time. (I am not sure of the time zones. )
  • TN.ar - Excellent Spanish language live coverage. Usually continual coverage of the start festivities.

Who to watch:

ADVrider inmates and friends:
Number links to Dakar page, name links to personal or team page if one exists.

9 - QUINN ALEXIS CODY - (USA) - HONDA CRF 450X
14 - DAVID CASTEU - (FRA) - YAMAHA 450 WRF RALLY
19 - JONAH STREET - (USA) - YAMAHA YZ450
29 - THOMAS BERGLUND - (SWE) - HUSABERGFE 450 RR
36 - SAM SUNDERLAND - (GBR) - HONDA CRF 450 DAKAR X
50 - JUAN CARLOS SALVATIERRA - (BOL) - HONDA CRF450X
55 - KEMAL MERKIT - (TUR) - KTM 450 RALLY RR
60 - STANLEY WATT - (GBR) - KTM 450 RALLY
61 - DIMAS MATTOS - (BRA) - KTMKTM 450 RALLY REPLICA
62 - DAVID SCHWARZ - (AUS) - HUSABERG FE450
81 - NED SUESSE - (USA) - KTM 450XCW
104 - VICENTE DE BENEDICTIS - (BRA) - BETA RR 450
106 - JAMES EMBRO - (USA) - KTM 450 RALLY
107 - RONNIE BODINGER - (SWE) - HUSABERG FE 450
109 - ARNDT BUDWEG - (BRA) - KTM 450 RALLY REPLICA
113 - RODNEY FAGGOTTER - (AUS) - HUSABERG FE450
118 - DONALD HATTON - (CAN) - YAMAHA WR 450
147 - MICHAEL STANFIELD - (USA) - KTM 450 EXC
150 - LUIS BELAUSTEGUI - (ARG) - KTM XC 150
172 - MANUEL LUCCHESE - (ITA) - HUSABERG FE 450 RALLY
180 - JAGO PICKERING - (GBR) - KTM 450EXC
187 - TOBIAS YOUNGER - (GBR) - KTM 450EXC
188 - BILL CONGER - (USA) - HUSQVARNA 449

The full list of entrants can be found here.

Again, a special mention to all who follow and support the riders. Those who go without sleep, clean clothes, or showers and endure the bumpy roads and non-roads helping to keep the riders riding for our enjoyment. Thanks to you!

I'll also give special mention to Carlton Kirby for, in my opinion, excellent Eurosport commentating and lack of fear to dive into the less known and sometimes obscure competitors and story lines.

The Route:

{edit} i've been notified that PackMule is otherwise unavailable... if it's okay with the other F5 veterans, i'd love to take a stab at handling the cliff notes thread this year. if i miss anything, PM me, and i'll add / edit.

kaia screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 04:49 PM Reason: PackMule unavailable.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Two TV stations are on it:
http://www.c5nenvivo.com.ar/
http://tn.com.ar/envivo/24hs/HD

EDIT: They just showed "el profesor", Luis Belaustegui of Freedomcycles.
Quote:
FOX has video on the podium:

http://tevelive.net/foxsports-en-vivo/

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Sitting in the Dakar competitors photo

Press

Rodrigues with Curtis

Nasser's Hummer

Iain Stevenson - Anxious or relieved?

South African Support Vehicle - Fark I thought the Americans alsways had the biggest kit Alfie Cox can organize.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post

-

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Hi all,

I'm ready for some action. I prepared the website for the 2012 results. I'm still working on some nice features, but I wanted to let you know I'm back ;-)

You can still navigate to the "old" http://dakar.visser.it/ address, but from now on I will continue the website at http://trackingdakar.nl/.

Ciao and have a great Dakar,

Mischa

Quote:

-

Quote:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Hi Mischa! Thanks for the effort another time!

People, don't forget to donate something to help Mischa develop new stuff every year!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuellucchese View Post
Hey friends, it was just incredible!!!!! the start was amazing all people going crazy for us and there where literally a river of people was the most exciting thing of my life!!!! on my blog www.ladakar.com i posted a few photos :)

Here is a photo of me trying to get the attention of the argentinian chicks :P

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
:Jonah Street FB:

Ned's GF is cooking dinner. All packed up relaxing and excited that I will get a goodnights sleep. And finally ready to race. It's going to be a good two weeks.

Nice positive attitude. You go Jonah, You will do well this year.

Looks like the South Africans have had their bikes for the past 40 minutes. They may even be able to squeeze in a little sleep. Before scrutineering, but they will be starting last for sure and maybe with a penalty?

From FB:

Aart Bosman
Hi Iain, we are now 226 kms from Mar del Plata. I think we are appr. At 2100h in Mar del plata to deliver the bikes. — at YPF Castelli.
· 3 hours ago ·
Steve Dennehy likes this.

Iain Stevenson Ok Aart we will be waiting... Thank you for all the effort you guys have been amazing
3 hours ago ·

From www.Dakar.com

Luis Belaustegui
Following his debut in last year's Dakar, Argentina's Luis Belaustegui is back aboard his 150 cc KTM with the aim of finishing the race this time round. His new attempt started with the late arrival of his small motorcycle – which will now be more recognisable than ever. "I wanted to have my motorcycle painted in Buenos Aires but, since it was delivered late, there was no time left for that! So now I have a multi-coloured motorcycle, without doubt the ugliest in the field! Well, the most important thing is that it performs as well as last year, when only a stage finish outside the time limit prevented me from making it to the end, and only because I was foolish enough to stop to help other pilots all the time. Therefore, this year I have worked with a psychologist to race with a less altruistic mindset..."

He is a living part of the Dakar's history. Winner of the quad category in 2006, Juan Manuel Gonzalez ‘Pedrega' is one of these people who contribute to passing down the history of the event. From now on, it is his experience that he is providing to a new team, in a new role, that of Team manager. He has three quads under his supervision and a new adventure that has taken an Italiano-Uruguayan accent. Luis Henderson, Mauro Almeida and Roberto Tonetti will be racing for the Pedrega Rally Raid Team that was set up during the last Rally of Sardinia and to which the final touches were made after the Rally of Morocco. It is a brand new and up-and-coming team: “For 2012, I have three South American bikers who will be riding in the world championships and then the Dakar”.

Dimas Mattos
From his lofty vantage point of 6 foot 1, he looks over the maze of scrutineering, reacquainting himself with the atmosphere of the rally and the discussions between bikers. Yet, Dimas Mattos has a weight on his mind: despite 15 years of rally-raids, and finishes in most of them, he still has not completed a Dakar, in which he participated in 2007 and 2009. Worse still, each time, the 47-year old Brazilian injured himself. As a result, his wife forbade him from trying again. However, his enthusiasm helped him find the words to convince her. “In 2007, I hurt myself the day before the finish. It took me a year of discussions to convince my wife to let me try again in 2009. But that time, I broke my leg on the second stage so she said, “the Dakar is finished for you!” This time, it took me 2 years to convince her. My dream is to finish this race which has been out of my grasp so far! In the end, she relented and now she's waiting for me at home praying that it will be the last time! But for me, motorcycling is my life…”

Great guy is Dimas, he should be an honorary ADV rider. Sounds like he has the same issues I do!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
Here are today's official images of Ned, coming via email courtesy of webventure.com.br:

Cheers,
Dave
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Pic by Dave Strydom through facebook

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

kaia screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 10:14 AM
Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Trimmed start podium video clip of Jonah:

Trimmed start podium video clip of Ned:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
kaia OP
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
start times

race starts today! 443 vehicles ready to go.

- official bike start times
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
Flood
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Good morning F5'ers!

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve 2012 celebration, and no doubt (by the looks of things here) many spent some of it glued to the TV monitors to take in all of the atmosphere of the DAKAR ceremonial start podium ceremony from Plaza Colon in Mar del Plata...

I would just take this opportunity to wish everyone on the DAKAR, and ADV friends here and around the world a very properous and safe 2012!

Great new's that the last of the Sth Africa bikes cleared the wharf/customs and appears at tyhis stage they will make the official start this morning for the first leg of the rally!

Other than that it seems all of the factory guns (both 2 and four wheels) and our own ADV homefavourites have all gone thru the administrative and technical checks (seven quad riders had vehicles that did not conform to the tech verifications... and have been allowed to start, although they will NOT be eligible for the general classification). The competitor briefing having been conducted... all entrants have passed over the ceremonial start podium... now, soon folks it is GAME ON for real !

What's on the F5 menu today....???

Leg 1: Mar del Plata to Santa rosa del Pampa

STAGE MAP

The first moto's leave the parc fermé at the Mar del Plata naval base at 05:45 (argentine local time), and ride (what appears from the map and time schedule) to be approximately 150 kilometer transport section to the start (DSS) of todays special stage;

STAGE PROFILE

Leg 1 special stage is 57 km's in length and we see from the profile is relative flat and fast; starting out with 14 km's of firm soil, then a section of 16 km (along the beachfront) with soft sand and some small dunes (highest point @ 42 meters), before finishing with a 27 km stretch of frim terrain (probably some gravel roads included?)

In the schedule there is an allowed target time of 30 minutes (an average of 114 km/h !!! ). Given that there is the 16 km section of sand in the middle, we can expect the speeds on the beginning and concluding sections to be VERY FAST it would seem!

If the fastest set times around the 30 minute mark... one would expect the tail enders to take perhaps 45 to 50 minutes or more (still average of 75 to 80 km/h... which is fast).

After completing the special stage, they travel from the ASS to the bivouac at Santa Rosa via the second transport connection (approx 600 km) with the first moto's expected to arrive at the bivouac around 15:45 pm local ARG time.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread