Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #31
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYwoodsrider View Post
This thread is for pictures/places in the central KY area. No particular order or structure.
Just show places to ride that might be done in an afternoon or a day trip.
Something to keep me motivated for the winter and maybe meet a few more inmates

Today I explored some of the wildlife management areas around Taylorsville Lake in Anderson and Spencer counties.

This is from the saddle of my DR650 on Goshen road in Anderson county

This is Vaughn road in Anderson county.

A view from Vaughn road

Next stop was the Van Buren boat ramp on Taylorsville lake

After that I headed down Palmer road in Spencer county

It leads to a parking area in one of the wildlife management river bottoms. Like most of these areas it's foot travel only at this point.

Last stop was another wildlife management area in Anderson county. This is River road off of hwy 44.

There were some guys picking corn in a nice river bottom

Until next week, I hope.

The Vaughn Rd and Palmer Rd access points actually connect the same "trail". About 2.5 miles long from the Vaughn Rd gate to the end. Five mile round trip. No motorized vehicles allowed.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #32
shinyribs
permanent n00b

Oddometer: 17
Pissed

Beautiful scenery! I love that covered bridge. I'd like to kick everyone in the teeth that ever vandalized that old bridge.But thats just me
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #33
InsertNameHere
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Beautiful scenery! I love that covered bridge. I'd like to kick everyone in the teeth that ever vandalized that old bridge.But thats just me
Quote:
If the temp is above 40F and no rain I ride the VStrom to work. Today it was warmer than usual. These are pics from my favorite route home.
I leave Harrodsburg KY and head out on Warwick road. Here it goes through Anderson Circle Farm (a large cattle farm here in Mercer county)

This is the main residence

Next I head over to Oregon Road. It runs along ridge tops for a while

Then drops steeply down to the KY river

No mistakes along this portion

There is a boat launch down on the river

Next it heads back up towards hwy 127

Its still cold down here

Down town Salvisa KY, Woo hoo

Next I head out to 127 and make my way home.
I saw this and my jaw hit the ground, definitely worth me quitting my lurking. When you took this ride you were literally three miles from where I'm living! I've ridden Orgegon Rd., and most all of the backroads around that part of the Anderson farm. Beautiful roads, that's for sure!

I almost took my DRZ offroad (unintentionally, I mean) exactly where you took the picture of the bridge on Oregon Rd. When a lady in an SUV decided to crawl over the bridge at 5 M.P.H., I shouldn't have been rubbernecking as much as I was, good lesson learned there!

If you ever come down here again, shoot me a PM and I'll ride it with you, and maybe even a little farther. Maybe we can tool around and see how long it takes to get lost!

Thanks for sharing, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. It's always nice to hear about good places to ride to! It gives me more excuses!
InsertNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
KYwoodsrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
We will have to ride some when it warms up. I see that Reconstructed is also from Lawrenceburg.

I didn't get to ride this weekend because it was so cold. Here are a few pics from an earlier ride.
This is the Four Roses Distillery in Anderson County

The locals call this "the slab". It crosses the Salt River on Dry Dock Road also in Anderson County. It's a cool place to go if you out that way.

Not sure about the weather this week. Maybe Thur or Friday I may get to ride to work.
KYwoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #35
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
The locals call this "the slab". It crosses the Salt River on Dry Dock Road also in Anderson County. It's a cool place to go if you out that way.
This is very reminiscent of one of the more notorious slab crossings a little northeast of Madison, Indiana. Only difference is that the one near Madison seems to always have a sheen of water and moss on its deck. As many times as I've ridden up there, I've never snapped a pic of it. Seems someone has always just lost it on the snot-like moss and I end up focusing on helping get their bike across. I need to get over that and start rolling video, huh?
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
Thnks4alltheFsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
You guys are making me homesick. I grew up in Richmond (the one in KY) and drove a lot of the roads that are being posted. Sadly, I didn't have a motorcycle other than my dad's old honda cl100 which I got running and used to ride through Kirksville. I guess next time I go home, I'll ride there.
Thnks4alltheFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #37
TheDogWeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Great pictures! As I am living in KY, it is nice to see some RR's from KY. I generally, don't ride any further West than Lexington, but I may need to go West.
'01 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)

Dream bike: Triumph Street Triple
TheDogWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
Hokem Malarky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Great pics and showed me some places I haven't seen yet. I did seek out that bridge one day though

Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Now I know who bought the blue Tenere!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #40
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogWeed View Post
Great pictures! As I am living in KY, it is nice to see some RR's from KY. I generally, don't ride any further West than Lexington, but I may need to go West.
Well, if I had roads like 32 and the others around there' I doubt I would go much out of that area as well......

However, there ARE some excellent roads between Lex and L'ville and north of Lex toward Cincy as well.
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #41
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Here's a few pics from the Taylor, Casey, Marion, and Adair county area that I snapped last summer:

Is this desolate, or what? I can still hear the bugs chirping and whirring in that tall grass:

The black ones are faster:

ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
TheDogWeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Well, if I had roads like 32 and the others around there' I doubt I would go much out of that area as well......

However, there ARE some excellent roads between Lex and L'ville and north of Lex toward Cincy as well.
Haha! Agreed. I have ridden through and north of Frankfurt on my way to Madison, IN. Some desolate highways in desparate need of repairs and very little human populations...
'01 Suzuki GZ250 (sold)

Dream bike: Triumph Street Triple
TheDogWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #43
KYwoodsrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
The primary reason I started this thread was to motive me to ride more and explore the area I have acess to. My goal this weekend was to ride to the Perryville Civil War Battlefield. I have lived in central KY for more than 20 years but I have never been there. You can read about it here.
http://www.perryvillebattlefield.org/

I also bought some new riding pants and today was a good day for trying them out

It was cold and windy. 40 mph wind gust.

I didn't leave until 3:00pm so I didn't take a lot of pictures on the way down. There are a zillion ways to get there on back roads. I plan on going back another time just to ride some more of these.

Downtown Perryville

The battlefield has self guide tours with displays set up around the park.

There are some gravel road through the park with some nice picnic areas

It's not Gettysburg but its a nice place to go, walk around and maybe have a picnic.

That's all for now.
I am looking forward to meeting some you later this year.

KYwoodsrider screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 05:19 AM
KYwoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #44
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
I spent my summers as a sprout with my aunt and uncle who owned the Park Place Grocery in Danville. My uncle took me fishing all over the area but my favorite place to go was the Rolling Fork south of Perryville. I've passed through Boyle/Mercer/Anderson counties a million times on the main roads but never had the opportunity to go exploring. Sometime soon I'm going to take a week, come down and explore the area. Any of you locals who want to ride along PM me.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I'll ride with you for a day. I'm across the river in Versailles, but I've not ridden over there much. I went to Perryville last year for the photo tag and my camera was dead!

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote