Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #181
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
I see always a BUT there u go, please reload
Thanks. Appreciate that.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #182
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
So now for the rest of the story Pablo the trip out again.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #183
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
So now for the rest of the story Pablo the trip out again.
Hum lets see, when we were on the hutt I had mentioned the Cnut hill but nobody seemed interested. Then once we jumped on the bikes Simon suggested to check it out. First mistake not telling the rest and I must apologise again for that.
We then got going over the first third which is gnarly but doable till the flat area were the picture showing the track was taken. It seemed not quite doable from there .
Anyway once there we discussed whether to come back or keep going, since we have only taken a short time to get there it seemed possible to go and check further. I told Simon then that I had only made to the beginning of the last much-stepper-without-a-rest section. Once agreed to check it further Simon went ahead.
A few minutes later I could see him close to the top, thus I went for it. I was going well and soon arrived to were he was at which point he indicated to keep going and since he was on the bad line I could take the good line on his side and carry on. About a hundred meters further up till it got easy again.
It was reaaaally bad but with 10psi front and rear and second gear and clutch, I made it and despite forgetting my fitness on the base, heart pumping 180 I was happy , parked the bike and come down to help Simon. Then we re-acommodated his bike to have a better start and he found his clutch wasn't going ... at all. He suggested we should wait to allow time for it to cool down and maybe it was going to work afterwards. It seemed reasonable and I was knackered anyway so resting there seemed ok . It turned out the Ktm had had enough and then all of the sudden things got complicated ... we had split from the group, on a section not commonly used, with a broken bike, none of us knew much about repairing anything and it was really hard to move

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #184
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

and then?.....

Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #185
andy mac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
What type of KTM, running how high gearing? Breakdown report for both bikes?
andy mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #186
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
and then?.....
bet you are glad they didn't tell you where they were off to so you didn't have to hang around and get involved in the nightmare sounding rescue....
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #187
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
bet you are glad they didn't tell you where they were off to so you didn't have to hang around and get involved in the nightmare sounding rescue....
Yeah, though the text I got later didn't sound good and i thought I was going to have to go back for a while.

There's a hell of a story to be told here and there may be pictures too, come on Pablo

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #188
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Yeah, though the text I got later didn't sound good and i thought I was going to have to go back for a while.

There's a hell of a story to be told here and there may be pictures too, come on Pablo
Quite a 'swansong' for your departure eh Eddie? Go well as you journey North :)
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #189
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Quite a 'swansong' for your departure eh Eddie? Go well as you journey North :)
yes a lot of people showed to make sure it happened

Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #190
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mac View Post
What type of KTM, running how high gearing? Breakdown report for both bikes?
Ktm 690R 2012 standard gearing, pipe etc very nice bike couldn't ride it

Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #191
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You can be sure nobody would have been happy to be there, although in hindsight it was a very nice adventure and nice achievement for us ...

Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #192
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

We were almost at the top, one bike running fine another one running but not going. Diagnostic was burn clutch, I had no idea nothing like it ever happened to me but it made sense. The bike would start no problem, but wouldn't move, its like the clutch was all the way in.

Finally after waiting a while and the bike still not going we decided that instead of keep waiting to start rolling down maybe by the time we get to bottom it would cool and go again. The first wasn't an issue till the first "rest area" if you will. It was there we realised that the rest area wasn't quite flat it was up-and-down sort of think and pushing it wasn't possible. Even a small slope was very hard for us to push the bike through.

I remembered that for first time (ever) I had taken a strap with me, so I proposed to two the bike through that part till the last steep bit. As it turned out is not that easy to tow a bike. Keeping balance, proper line, avoid tangling the line with wheels, chain etc for the first time is not easy ... at all . At one point the track had two levels, I was on the wrong one and felt the strap caught something, when tried to put my foot on the ground I couldn't reach and off I went over the border of the ridgeline, with only my lower leg on the track and all my body down. All the gear and bit of luck meant I was ok, once managed to get back on the track, Simon asked whether it was fine then he had a bit of laugh as it was funny.

Next I realised the chain came off, when trying to put it back on, realised it was off the front sprocket too, and when trying to put it back there, realised it was stuck on my new-ish case saver (recommended http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-X...650-X::43.html). It meant one thing, get tools and remove case put the chain. It took a few minutes and we were off again. After what seemed an eternity some extra pushing we made it to the last steep section. I was at that point , but it seemed we were going to get to the easy-ish part soon. I was by then too knackered and couldn't ride properly and come down 3 or for times left and right, sideways and a few other times I almost did but managed to stay on. Going down tried on the bike with engine running, with engine stopped, walking at one point very close to the end had another off and this time the front wheel went off the track and rear wheel was on the middle of it. It was ward to straighten as tired as I was, had to rest like 5' minutes after getting back on the track. Since it was the last bit, I though I'll get on the bike and use the engine to brake but it didn't want to start I couldn't believe it, last thing we needed was two broken bikes

Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #193
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,745
please please please tell me there are photos of all of this......
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #194
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I told them to take pics of the next bit, but I'm not sure there are pics of any of that

Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #195
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Regrettably not, we were too wasted to take any and my helmet cam had broken down the day before

Quote: