User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,783
Would this mean!

I am wasting my time replacing the clutch and preasure plate and should concentrate on the tranny. And if so, got any ideas as to who knows what they are doing should they disassemble it. Don't have too much faith in my Dealer here. Is there a place that specializes in BMW transmissions?
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
If you hear noise with the clutch in (disengaged) then it is something else. Whe the clutch is out (engaged) it spins the trans input shaft and the idle pulses rattle the stationary gears since the bike is not moving at a stop and the gears are not moving as well. When the clutch is pulled in (disengaged) then the clutch seperates from the trans and the strans is stationary and no noise should be heard rolling or stopped.

Thanks John. Definitely stops while rolling and clutch engaged in neutral, but when disengaged, it makes noise. Had the splines looked at in the last 10k when I had an input shaft seal go bad, and had a new FD installed recently as well. Would think if it was tranny I would be experiencing some sort of problems. Unless it is on the tranny output side/shaft. I notice that there is a bit of lash in the shaft when rolling on or off the throttle in first and second gear. Hmmm.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
Mickey Chicken
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Just to set the record straight the GS models before the 1200gs use brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics so they require yearly flushing. After '05 they use hydraulic oil that is not hyrdoscopic so they do not need routine service. I think some 04-05 1150s may have hyrdaulic fluid too.

The clutch rattle is normal, but if its rattling a lot after its warm then you could have worn input shaft splines. I did a lot of wheelies and power shifts that helped cause my splines to strip at 52k miles. When they get really worn you'll feel vibration when you pull the clutch in as the plate wobbles on the shaft, it will also rattle while coasting with the clutch disenagaged for the same reason. Now at 110k miles and no rattles once warm.

I've heard of dealers charging an hour to inspect the splines using a boroscope through the starter mounting hole but dunno if that works.
The only splines they could see would be the short length sticking out of the friction plate. Not helpful as they are not driving anything the only splines driving are the ones inside the friction plate spline drive. Driven normally and I would say wheelying is a tad extremeI but I admire anyone who can do them! your splines will last a long time. I expected to see damaged splines when I took of my tanny but they were perfect, there are so many horror stories about splines.and a lot of tosh spoken about misalignment of trannys etc. You cannot misalign a tranny they are fitted by two dowel locations at 10 o clock and 5 oclock positions on the clutch housing and the clutch once disengaged free floats and self aligns. My advice to anyone of reasonable mechanical capability is If you are worried about the tranny or clutch and bike is layed up for winter then allow plenty of time and get a BMW mottorad cd manual and a Clymer or Haynes and strip the thing apart.take plenty of photos for wiring and cable layout layout and sytematically dismantle it. I took 2 days to strip and 3 leasurly days to reassemble, cleaning everything as I went.
I would say to anyone if the bike rides well then do not worry about anything.
Mickey Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,670
tranny misalignment can happen if the bell housing is warped due to improper shipping or an accident. more likely is something like glue, sealant, etc between the tranny and engine block. The old k75 models had a lot of problems
in this area. Oh, and you won't see any flakes or metal shavings in the tranny fluid if their worn, those parts are outside of the tranny
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
roadtrip22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
a lot of good stuff here thanks for every ones responses.
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

JohnTz!

Spoke to a BMW Tech today and his responce was what JohnTz said. My guy said 90% of the time its the throttle body sync. I mentioned about having a TwinMax and he said, no good on the newer bikes. Need to do it by computor. So will put it back together with the new clutch and bring in to him for a sync and keep my fingers crossed. The splines are perfect. Will keep posting!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Spoke to a BMW Tech today and his responce was what JohnTz said. My guy said 90% of the time its the throttle body sync. I mentioned about having a TwinMax and he said, no good on the newer bikes. Need to do it by computor. So will put it back together with the new clutch and bring in to him for a sync and keep my fingers crossed. The splines are perfect. Will keep posting!
Just saw that per JVB the stepper motors controlling idle can be adjusted with the GS911 tool. Going to have to get me one of those ASAP.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
JohnTz
HP2 Rider

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
I'm glad it worked out. Make sure your valves are adjusted before you do the sync.
'08 Suzuki Burgman 400
'79 Vespa P200E
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

10-4

Good buddies!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
My 1150 is a 1999 model, it has 111,000 km's on it and it rattles, just changed the clutch and slave, no abnormal wear was evident

But, if I pull in the clutch rattles decrease dramatically

My 1150 is pre the clutch pushrod with the felt pad on it, mine is a simple shaft, I reckon my rattles are mainly a cause of the worn throtle bodies combined with the old push rod design?
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #26
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 505
Mine has begun a loud rattle from the transmission recently. Goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I can also hear it in the lower gears when coasting. Still not sure what it is after reading everything that I could find as it seems each documented case is something different from each other. The bike is on the lift in the garage awaiting fork seals anyway. Bought the bike in late May of 2011 with 18k miles and now has just about 26k. My Dad has the same year, 2004, and he has 70+K miles on it, but he bought it new and has had no issues. Any ideas on why and what it is? Is there a throw/through-out bearing (?) on these 1150's? If so any documentation w/ pics on how to change it? Did the 24k miles service myself (with knowledgeable onlookers) about 2800 miles ago. Valves, fluids and sync of the throttle bodies.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #27
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
Mine has begun a loud rattle from the transmission recently. Goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I can also hear it in the lower gears when coasting. Still not sure what it is after reading everything that I could find as it seems each documented case is something different from each other. The bike is on the lift in the garage awaiting fork seals anyway. Bought the bike in late May of 2011 with 18k miles and now has just about 26k. My Dad has the same year, 2004, and he has 70+K miles on it, but he bought it new and has had no issues. Any ideas on why and what it is? Is there a throw/through-out bearing (?) on these 1150's? If so any documentation w/ pics on how to change it? Did the 24k miles service myself (with knowledgeable onlookers) about 2800 miles ago. Valves, fluids and sync of the throttle bodies.
Unlawful, your rattles sound like my 1200. I think the rattle at idle in neutral is pretty normal. My 1100 did that. The rattle in the lower gears as I coast clutch in, is what I have not really heard reported before and mine does it too. I notice that if I coast in neutral the sound goes away, which says to me its transmission noise. Still, it has done it since I got it at 12k miles a year ago. It has 28k now. Runs like a top, shifts like butta,and fluid looks normal (have changed probably three times in last year). Right now I am thinking ride it and see what happens.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krupa View Post
Unlawful, your rattles sound like my 1200. I think the rattle at idle in neutral is pretty normal. My 1100 did that. The rattle in the lower gears as I coast clutch in, is what I have not really heard reported before and mine does it too. I notice that if I coast in neutral the sound goes away, which says to me its transmission noise. Still, it has done it since I got it at 12k miles a year ago. It has 28k now. Runs like a top, shifts like butta,and fluid looks normal (have changed probably three times in last year). Right now I am thinking ride it and see what happens.
The part that has me concerned is that it did not do this for the first 7k miles or so and only started making this noise this past weekend. Did yours do it from new or did it just begin making the noise out of the blue? I ordered some parts to take care of some other things, so I won't be riding it for a week or so. Most likely Ill end up taking it apart over these next few chilly months. The baby is due in a month, so I won't be doing much riding anyway. Sounds like a good project while the baby naps as Ill be taking 2-weeks off to help our family transition with our first child.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #29
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
The part that has me concerned is that it did not do this for the first 7k miles or so and only started making this noise this past weekend. Did yours do it from new or did it just begin making the noise out of the blue? I ordered some parts to take care of some other things, so I won't be riding it for a week or so. Most likely Ill end up taking it apart over these next few chilly months. The baby is due in a month, so I won't be doing much riding anyway. Sounds like a good project while the baby naps as Ill be taking 2-weeks off to help our family transition with our first child.
I bought my bike with 12k miles on it a year ago. Have 28k on it now. As far as I know the bike made the noise from the first day I had it. I am pretty sensitive to changes in engine noises. I thought nothing of the way the engine sounded until a friend rode it and said it sounded like marbles in the tranny when coasting. I hear it now, I have isolated it to the tranny, but I don't know if it is something to worry about (I used to worry about the clutch noise they have been talking about in this thread, but now think nothing of it).

Good luck on the project. Let me know what you find.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Old 01-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #30
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,670
two other things that could mean your transmission\clutch splines are worn.

difficulty changing gears. The splines don't wear uniformly along the length of the shaft leaving a ridge or shoulder out near the end, so you try to shift down out of top gear and the gearshift doesn't budge. Blip the throttle and now you can shift down. I didn't notice this on my gs before the splines went though.

Squealing taking off from a dead stop. This also may be due to a worn out clutch or friction plate issues, but mine was squealing before my spline failure and it stopped for a couple years after the repair, but its back again now. WAG that dry splines dragging against each other under load may be the cause.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math

eric2 screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 06:59 AM
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote