Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #61
Boltboy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
My 2008 GS developed the clutch rattle as well, just as others described.
Pull clutch in noise goes away, let it out it rattles.

Mine has 32,000 miles, but is six months out of warranty.
I may talk to the dealer to see what they have to say.
Richard
I just read this, I am in a simliar spot. Clutch in, no noise, clutch out, rattle. 1 1/2 months to go on the warranty.
Only 20,000 miles on the 08 GS. Have an appointment with the dealer to diagnois. If free to diagnois, great, if not, not sure what to do. Dealer says it may not be a warranty repair. Can not believe that.
I have been easy on this bike. Tranny works great, smooth.

My opinion based on reading ADVrider threads is the clutch push rod, and I need to do a "carb" sync.
Did a major service except for the sync.

If anyone have any updates on their rattle - would appreciate any input..
Thanks
Boltboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #62
luca9277
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
if they push back on the warranty tell them you will be getting in touch with BMW directly, mine had 40,000km and definitely out of warranty and BMW still paid for clutch and final drive.
I still have to pay for 12 hours of work but I could have had it all done free of charge if it was still under warranty.
These components are not supposed to fail this easily...
luca9277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #63
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,407
Change your transmission oil to a synthetic GL-5. I happen to use 75w-140. I also use a bit of moly additive.

No transmission noise.

Remember, you have this 1100cc+ twin cylinder motor that produces changes in rotational speed when the engine is idling. Then, you have this 6 speed gearbox behind the engine. Once the transmission oil gets hot, the transmission begins to rattle as shafts and gears accelerate and decelerate at idle.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #64
Boltboy
n00b

Thank you for the input.
Headed to dealer this Weds. Will report on dealers findings warranty "cooperation".
Old 09-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #65
Tebpac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Very Similar....

2005 GS with 38000+ miles. Noticed this summer the increased noise with the clutch out vs in. Fairly noisy on startup. Changed the gearbox oil in July. (Mobil 1 Synthetic LS Gear Oil) A little less noise on start up and almost none after a ride. Some days I start up and don't hear it at all. Other days I do.....shifting is smoother
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #66
Boltboy
n00b

Well the GS is at the dealer. BMW authorized the dealer to tear down the tranny and the clutch and measure and inspect everything. May find out Tuesday what happened to cause the noise and if it will all be covered by warranty.
Hard to believe on a bike with 21,000 miles, never seen dirt, ridden mildly.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #67
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motzilla View Post
Has anyone tried adding moly to the transmission oil to reduce the rattle?
'01 GS.....I have used 75w-140 GL-5 with added mold since my first gear oil change. The result has been silent shifting, easy engagment of 1st gear at cold start and no noticeable transmission wear. I change about every two years and so far, the old oil comes out without any debris. Also, I flush the transmission with ATF to facilitate removal of all junk. The FD gets the same treatment.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #68
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motzilla View Post
Has anyone tried adding moly to the transmission oil to reduce the rattle?
I think it was a design flaw, BMW redesigned the input shaft to be stronger.

With that said, I'm sure the moly is a good thing to add, but if metal breaks, which was what happened in my case, no amount of moly will fix it.

Lensgrinder screwed with this post 09-10-2012 at 12:01 PM
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
I think it was a design flaw, BMW redesigned the input shaft to be stronger.

With that said, I'm sure the moly is a good thing to add, but if metal breaks, which was what happened in my case, no amount of moly will fix it.
Agreed.

Moly is a extreme pressure additive that reduces friction. It will not make parts stronger.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #70
Boltboy
n00b

Well,
So far the dealer has been authorized by BMW to replace all the clutch parts under warranty, except the friction plate. Thats on me. Clutch out of tolerance, not to spec.
Tranny was not torn down, but they cleared as ok. No leaks, anywhere and I have had zero issue with the tranny.
Awaiting the call to pick up bike and see the final diagnois and invoice.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #71
Boltboy
n00b

So they put it back together and it still makes the same noise with the new clutch.
So now BMW corp authorized them to tear down the tranny. Dealer suspected the tranny
from the beginning. Corp would not listen.
Their findings - the input shaft's cush drive went bad. Did not know there was one in the tranny too.
Not much else volunteered. They claim the rest of the tranny looked fine. Now
awaiting parts from PA. Then reassemble. Retry. Then a two warranty on all this work.
Almost everything is under warranty.
3 weeks and counting! Be another week at least.
I must say I am quite disolutioned at the moment. I feel like I drank the Coolaide.
Thank my lucky stars for the warranty.

Thank you all for the input.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #72
fxdlmarsh
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
2005 GS with 38000+ miles. Noticed this summer the increased noise with the clutch out vs in. Fairly noisy on startup. Changed the gearbox oil in July. (Mobil 1 Synthetic LS Gear Oil) A little less noise on start up and almost none after a ride. Some days I start up and don't hear it at all. Other days I do.....shifting is smoother
I, have a 09 GSA 23,000 miles. Dealer said outright not covered under warrenty. My resolve was replacing clutch with a wonderlich sintered plate. and this past spring spent my 30,0000 on a new Roadglide ultra. Tired of fighting with BMW and being held hostage to there limited dealers to seek help. I, still own my GSA and love it, Well i, invest in another ?????????????????. Good luck with ya.
fxdlmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #73
SaintEx
n00b

Cause of clutch/gearbox rattle

I have a late 2008 model R1200GS (owned by me since new), and at 120,000kms it developed a rattle in the clutch/gearbox area. On investigation it turned out to be caused by multiple cracks in the cush drive assembly (BMW calls this component the predamper, in its manual) on the input drive shaft in the gearbox. An expensive but necessary repair followed. This is not the first failure of this component that my repairer has seen. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
SaintEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #74
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintEx View Post
I have a late 2008 model R1200GS (owned by me since new), and at 120,000kms it developed a rattle in the clutch/gearbox area. On investigation it turned out to be caused by multiple cracks in the cush drive assembly (BMW calls this component the predamper, in its manual) on the input drive shaft in the gearbox. An expensive but necessary repair followed. This is not the first failure of this component that my repairer has seen. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
That sounds like what happened to mine.
Is BMW going to help you out at all on the repair? They should, since it was a design flaw.
The tech. I talked to had repaired "Several" he said.

Boltboy, what did they find when they opened up your gearbox?
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #75
SaintEx
n00b

I agree that the cush drive cracks result from faulty design. As for BMW coming to the party, that is a work in progress. I will keep you posted. I have put all the information to them and I am awaiting a reply.
SaintEx is offline   Reply With Quote