User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,051
Oatman Massacre

Great way to kick off the New year. I jumped on the Africa Twin at 7am and headed down the 303 to Meet Big E. Not far away from the meet spot I see a huge bright light in my mirror and up beside me comes KTMSer. We hit Indian Bend and here is Big E and a second KTM Enduro rider waiting for us. We head down I 10 and when we roll in Nighstalker is at the gas pumps topping off. Here are the first guys to arrive at the TA

Big E had a blown fuse.. easy fix

Before long as we enjoy a hearty breakfast (by the way am I the only one who ate fruit) there seemed a crowd growing and 13 Adventure riders total had made it out to the start point.

Reidy008 screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 08:48 PM
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,102
Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Kick off time

There is alot of high speed dirt roads in the morning to mid afternoon section of the ride so pictures were few and far between for me. I got a few at Sundad

Only a few rode in as we were already seperating a little

Big E has him a new jacket which had to be shown off..

Once back to the road the group was reforming however we were missing our second Super Enduro rider and Nightstalker... Lets wait a bit and see if he comes along

Not known for patience the group decided KTMSer should ride back and see what was up. He met Nightstalker riding toward us down the road a piece and we were to learn that after stopping for some pictures of the riders his big Adventure wouldn't start. Being the lucky guy he is he was able to get a tow from a passer by and bump start the bike.

With no starter he made the decission to ride into Gila Bend and then head home. Our Second Super Enduro rider bailed around 10.30am to head back to town. So we are less 2 after just an hour or so. (thats 11 left for those who cant count)

This next picture looked similar to the last ones with the main part of the group waiting at the turn off to the Massacre site while two were missing. We were down Brad on his new Tiger and our lone Husaberg rider.

Not known for our creativity we sent Spencer back to see what was up while the rest of us waited. After some time the group started planning to send another rider back until Andy stepped up with a great idea... why not try calling them. Good call mate. We got Brad on the phone and found out the Husaberg had fuel pump problems and they were trying to fix it.

Well this seemed like a great time for the main group to ride up to the Massacre site while they tried to fix the bike.
Here are the riders who made it to the sign less Big E who is holding my phone and Azredline... they will show up in other shots. Fuzzy Dude has a group pic he got with his camera with a timer.

Here is a sign at the top of the hill where the wagons went down and a trail shot.

and a close up shot of the wagon wheel tracks

Reidy008 screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 08:51 PM
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Let the fun begin

Once back to the road we called Brad again and found out the Husaberg was not rideable. We rode back to the repair site and this is where the fun began for everyone but the Husaberg rider who would now be tied to Spencers biek to be towed to Gila Bend.

The repair site

Tow strap ready

Lete hook it up

And away we go
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Trip to Gila Bend

We cruised into town and watched Spencer pull the Husaberg a little faster than he may have wanted to go or at least it appeared that way... When we hit the blacktop Big E stepped up and switched onto the Husaberg to be the tow pilot and gave up Flash to our tired armed, puckered up friend.

Seeing they would be running a little slow a few of us decided to take a look at the petroglyphs that were right there next to the road.

AZredline decided to hit the road and skip lunch so we where down to 10 now at lunch. Sophia's

Our Husaberg rider had called his wife to come and get him as the bike wasn't going anywhere fast. He had trailered out to the starting location so she was driving him up 85 to the TA where he would get his truck and come back for the bike.

This had us at 9 for lunch.

Andy and his mate decided they would take a different route back home so it was 7 soles that turned to head for the second half of our trip. (this would be the best riding of the day)
Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
I'm liking this plenty so far,what was the Oatman Massacre though?

Guess I could google it but sometimes I really like the history lessons in Day Trippin.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
Fun ride, unfortunately I am not able to add any photos since I have no good ones. The berg repair didn't come out very good so I am going to spare everyone from looking at them. What a fund ride today and yes, the second half of the day was a good track.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I'm liking this plenty so far,what was the Oatman Massacre though?

http://www.discoverseaz.com/History/Oatman.html
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

The mud

Well we had had no sign of recent rains in our first half of the ride but we found some quickly in the return route. I was riding next to Spencer at the front when I notice him sliding his bike side ways.... thinking "Oh that Spencer always messing around" until I saw the huge puddle running from one side of the road to the other and very deep. I to applied the brakes pretty hard and we managed to each go a different side of the road and run through the not so deep sides.

Very quickly we came to our first obsticle of the trip. About a quarter mile of pretty much submerged road. I pointed the Africa Twin into the mud and let the guys watch to see if I am just stupid or if the water was passable. Here are a few of the guys coming behind me

Brad was stuck on the entry side of the mess while the rest of us had made it through no worries but his street tires were a concern as the rest of the bikes with nobbies were struggling a little. He called me as he stood next to his bike deciding if he should tackle this or not when Spencer helped make his decision for him. Tell him to Man the F up. That was enough to get Brad determined to rie through.

After passing through the first few quite easily the largest and deepest one got him and the new Tiger got it's first trip down to the ground in the softest way possible. He managed to get the Tiger back up and rode it through with no further problem.

Here is Brad in the distacne turned side ways and has got the bike back up. Help had come if he needed it.

Riding out

and we have a wet Tiger

We hit some really fun two track for most of the ride back. The last of my photo's are at our last rest stop

Where I had a loose battery cable... wish some one would fix that..

We had to stop one more time for a flat rear tire on one of the XL's and this point Fuzzy Dude headed for his truck at the staging area while we fixed the flat. He kindly offered to come pick up the bike if we were not able to get it mobile but as luck would have it we were able to. This now left us with 6 of the original Adventure Group to ride into Phoenix and head for the houses.

Thanks for a great day guys and I look forward to riding woth all of you again. Happy New year

Lets see your pictures and added tales now boys.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,935
I didn't get many pictures today :(

Reidy008 likes T/A

The Breakfast Club early birds.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

GPS Stats

I don't have the skills of Nighstalker with my GPS but here are the numbers from my ride today.

Miles 292
Max Speed 80.5
Moving time 6.36
Stopped 5.37
Moving AVG 44.2
Overall 23.9
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,935
Road turns to, [DUST], gravel.

Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant looms in the distance.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes View Post