Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #31
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 174
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
I don't think this is being done for shaft longevity reasons. Daithi is following Phreaky Phil's lead in putting a rear disc on R100GS(ex-PD). He is using the KI final drive because that is the same generation as the R100GS paralever, & more particularly has the mounts to allow this.
That's exactly it Box'a'bits, the little difference it the K1 final drive inner cover will be swapped out for the 1100R cover allowing me to use the 4pot
brake system I have hanging on a nail in the garage.

The only component I was waiting on arrived this morning, replacements for the Pivot Bearings I don't seem to get much time from the bearings
(too many potholes I suppose) so I'm gonna give the Pivot Bushings a go.

There are another few mods I'd like to make such as the FD vent routed higher, the steering lock is terrible so I'd like to have a go at milling a new
set of fork yokes with a 30mm offset and I presume using a GPS istead of a speedometer is probably illegal so I'll have to sort that too.

My DRZ1000
Daithi.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #32
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,936
Cool project for the swingarm length, but I dont see the advantage of a rear disc, personally.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

If I'd changed the inside cover for an 1100GS cover I'd have had to change the shims, being lazy I've taken the easier option.
I didn't have access to a lathe so I took a grinder to the caliper mount.

This is the way it's looking now, I need to offset the rim next.

I've used the bushings instead of bearings for the pivots and phased the driveshaft.

Won't be long now.

Daithi screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 03:45 PM
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #34
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
If I'd changed the inside cover for an 1100GS cover I'd have had to change the shims, being lazy I've taken the easier option.
I didn't have access to a lathe so I took a grinder to the caliper mount.

This is the way it's looking now, I need to offset the rim next.

I've used the bushings instead of bearings for the pivots and phased the driveshaft.

Won't be long now.
I've not seen any good reports with those bushes. Several failures documented on ADV rider a year or two back.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #35
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I've not seen any good reports with those bushes. Several failures documented on ADV riDER A YEAR OR TWO back.
Hi Phil, a lot of what I'm doing is your fault.

The logic behind using the bushings makes sense, the individual pins in the needle bearings just wear out too quickly for some reason. I'll give them a go, I've used the recommended procedure, type of Loctite and grease.
If it fails I'll be shouting from the roof tops about it.

Phil, can I ask why you went with the R100 rim instead of the R1100 rim when you were getting the dish/offset done ?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #36
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Hi Phil, a lot of what I'm doing is your fault.

The logic behind using the bushings makes sense, the individual pins in the needle bearings just wear out too quickly for some reason. I'll give them a go, I've used the recommended procedure, type of Loctite and grease.
If it fails I'll be shouting from the roof tops about it.

Phil, can I ask why you went with the R100 rim instead of the R1100 rim when you were getting the dish/offset done ?
My fault eh I thought the bushes would be a good idea to, but after I saw failures I went off the idea.
As for the rim size, to get the rim centers line up a 20mm offset is required, this can't be done with the wider 1100 rim as it would hit the swingarm.
Cheers Phil
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Rim Size.

Are you going to use the 100 GS 17" rim or go for an 18" R100R front rim or police R1100RT front one.
It helps to raise the back a bit to match the fork length and a lot more choice of off road tires.

A friend of mine did it with his R100gs and the bike handles perfect.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #38
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
A friend of mine did it with his R100gs and the bike handles perfect.
Now, that's interesting Prutser !
I'd planned on using the 1100GS rear rim but as Phil pointed out, the R100GS rear rim would suit better, d'ya not think the front rim would be way too narrow ? Any chance of a photo.

My Solution was gonna be turn a new set of front wheel spacers to offset the front (drz400) wheel 10 mm to the left (currently the spacers are both 30mm long, I'd make one 40mm and the other 20) in addition to this I would dish/offset the rear rim 10mm to the right giving me the 20mm. Because I'd only need 10mm dish might allow me to use the existing spokes on the R100 or it might even allow me to keep the 1100 rim.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #39
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Now, that's interesting Prutser !
I'd planned on using the 1100GS rear rim but as Phil pointed out, the R100GS rear rim would suit better, d'ya not think the front rim would be way too narrow ? Any chance of a photo.

My Solution was gonna be turn a new set of front wheel spacers to offset the front (drz400) wheel 10 mm to the left (currently the spacers are both 30mm long, I'd make one 40mm and the other 20) in addition to this I would dish/offset the rear rim 10mm to the right giving me the 20mm. Because I'd only need 10mm dish might allow me to use the existing spokes on the R100 or it might even allow me to keep the 1100 rim.
The rims are 2.50"x18 that should fit tires like 140/80.
Some people even mount those rims on the back of their R1100gs.

(will try to get a pic)

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #40
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

Quote:
(will try to get a pic)
Found these, I think the owner, Stephen Bottcher is on here too:

Tyre doesn't look too narrow at all, trying to track a rim down within budget will be a challenge but I do already have a hub waiting for it. Thanks Prutser.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #41
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Ok great. I was waiting for the owner to drop by so I could make a photo.

A R1200C front rim is the same size. There must be plenty of those out there.Most are replaced for ones without chrome.
But you have to find a way to take of the remaining chrome !

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #42
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Yes, thanks for the info Prutser, I hadn't even considered a bigger wheel to raise the back, I was all worried about getting a longer shock and adjusting the motor for the increase in angle (I remember you saying there was a kit for that, do you have a brand or store that sells that?). But for the money I'm seeing BMW wheels and/or rims going for here in the states, one might as well spend the $300 on an excel rim, but you'd be strictly tube type. For that matter, you could go one step farther and put a 2.5" x 19" rim on the back and gain almost 2 inches, you'd have to use front DOT tires like the TKC80 in 110/80/19, but there's plenty of 19" mx rears. Oh, wait, will the 19" tire clear the swingarm I wonder? And now that I've thought of that, I notice that you guys are using the 18" rim on a G/S, will that work on a paralever GS? I noticed you said it worked on the oilheads.

naginalf screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 02:08 PM
naginalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #43
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
Yes, thanks for the info Prutser, I hadn't even considered a bigger wheel to raise the back, I was all worried about getting a longer shock and adjusting the motor for the increase in angle (I remember you saying there was a kit for that, do you have a brand or store that sells that?). But for the money I'm seeing BMW wheels and/or rims going for here in the states, one might as well spend the $300 on an excel rim, but you'd be strictly tube type. For that matter, you could go one step farther and put a 2.5" x 19" rim on the back and gain almost 2 inches, you'd have to use front DOT tires like the TKC80 in 110/80/19, but there's plenty of 19" mx rears. Oh, wait, will the 19" tire clear the swingarm I wonder?
I have seen the kits on ADV. And on some German sites (I will ask Matt (boxer supplies)where they come from.. Personally I prefer the 18" rim.Because of the bigger choice in tires. If you go for the Exel's its even better but not cheap. They are so much lighter. Or would you like to use it for off road only ?
But for traveling a tubeless is an easy repairable tire.
More and more companies are developing real MX tubeless tires.But they are still testing them...!!

If u use the DRZ fork you could mount the axle clamps higher on the bottom tube. So the front of the bike will be 1" lower without losing wheel travel.. !

!8" in the !00GS (paralever) is no problem but don't know about the 19".
I don't like the TKC that much..

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

Quote:
Ok great. I was waiting for the owner to drop by so I could make a photo.

A R1200C front rim is the same size. There must be plenty of those out there.Most are replaced for ones without chrome.
But you have to find a way to take of the remaining chrome !
I've sent emails to some of the breakers I know of asking for any of these rims, the advantages of the 18" make it a no-brainer, hopefully I'll get one. I have a 1100 hub which means I don't have to strip the GS wheel I've on at the minute. If anyone out there has an 18" rim please let me know.
I was checking my own setup and it looks like a 2.5" rim at 18" will fit fine with the R100GS paralever, really appreciate the advice Prutser.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #45
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
I haven't followed your thread completely, but it's possible to put traditional rims on a GS hub. I did it with a front R100GS hub. woodies wheel works can seal off the spokes to make a traditional rim tubeless, about $100 USD. Not sure if anyone offers that across the pond.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 07:57 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote