ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Seeking ford diesel guru before I make a big mistake buying high $ truck in Boise

Hello Idahoans.. I need some help here.

Iv been searching for the perfect truck for almost a year. Long enough to know I'm going to have to travel to buy this perfect ride. So I found it at Larry Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram on Auto Dr. Only thing,, it has an 6.0 turbo I always told myself to stay away from. But with a few modifications it can be a reliable puller for my 10k# camper, but I need to know the true condition of the truck and engine so I need to hire a local diesel guru to do a inspection.. I want details the dealer cant or wont tell me.
This diesel guru would probably have to work for a ford repair shop or equivalent to have access to the diesel diagnostic equipment.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
KRAK1369
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I've had my 6.0 since '04. And I can say that it had no problem hauling equipment in and around east coast cities. It has been rock solid for my needs. I have a good friend who is a Ford Diesel mechanic. He gave me two tips about the 6.0:
1. Do not let it idle for long periods of time. It runs a bit cold at idle and will form carbon on the valves , waste gate and other places you would not want carbon.
2. Do not get a chip / mapper. This motor is tuned as it needs to be from Ford. And while Banks or Bully dog might have fined tuned their mappings since I heard the tip, It used to hold true they will not do much good for the motor.

Here's what I have done:
1 Banks exhaust
2 Brute Force intake
3 160k of trouble free miles.

I also added air bags in the rear to help level the truck when hauling the horse trailer.

There are service bulletins out for the truck, and a Ford dealer will correct any issues covered by those. But if you can not trust the dealer, do not buy the truck. Maybe you should take the truck to a Ford dealer for the inspection. They will find anything and everything wrong ( in hopes of getting you to pay for repairs) which you can turn around on the dodge dealer to lower price on the truck...

I know the market is down, so my 2 cents is only worth 1 penny, but I offer it to you anyway.

PS if you can find a 7.3 get it. Those motors last forever.

KRAK1369 screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 11:51 PM
KRAK1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks.. I asked here and wow.. a few guys who still running the ford 6.0 curse them up and down. One guy spent $11k fixing his..

You know they say, that people usually only speak up when things go wrong on the net.. And I know what they mean because when amazon asks me to rate something I just bought, the email goes in the trash.. No time for that. Last thing on my mind is me writing a review on a product I like. I rather just go "like" it.

Is that the case here? a handful of unfortunate guys who got the lemons? If it were as bad as you guys say, wouldn't there be a huge lawsuit going on by now?

BTW I have a choice between a 7.3 with 300k and the 6.0 with 41k.. Still favor the 7.3?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Thanks.. I asked here and wow.. a few guys who still running the ford 6.0 curse them up and down. One guy spent $11k fixing his..

You know they say, that people usually only speak up when things go wrong on the net.. And I know what they mean because when amazon asks me to rate something I just bought, the email goes in the trash.. No time for that. Last thing on my mind is me writing a review on a product I like. I rather just go "like" it.

Is that the case here? a handful of unfortunate guys who got the lemons? If it were as bad as you guys say, wouldn't there be a huge lawsuit going on by now?

BTW I have a choice between a 7.3 with 300k and the 6.0 with 41k.. Still favor the 7.3?
If you talk to the old timers they will tell you to go with the 7.3l, non emissions engine, lot less mess.

I have the 6.4, boosted 6.0l with 80k of trouble free miles. I agree, run the factory maping, change oil every 5k use Mobil 1 diesel formulation fuel filters every 10k, drain water separator every 1k and I have my idle set to the emergency vehicle high idle, I've by passed the standard idle circuit and so when the truck in in park now with the parking brake on it will auto adjust to idle at 1,300 RPM, helps reduce the carbon build up.

I pull a 10k 5th wheel, I do expect to put a tranny in it at some point in time but what the heck, it's a Ford, better than the engine work.

I've found the people that bad talk these trucks with the engine's have usually re-maped and runing higher boost pressures and caused their own problem. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Something about a factory coolant issue as well..

I found a class lawsuit against ford and their diesels..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,409
Ford 6.0 Class-Action Lawsuit

Take some time to read the comment section..pretty eye-opening.

The lawsuit alleges that Ford knew enough about the problems to sue Navistar the manufacturer of the motor for almost a half-billion dollars...I wonder if they got their money yet...

Quote:
The Ford engine class action lawsuit states that despite being launched with “great fanfare” in 2002, by the end of its short production life, Ford’s 6.0L Engines had unprecedented repair rates, accounted for approximately 80% of all of Ford’s warranty spending on engines, and forced Ford to assemble a team of approximately 70 engineers to assist Ford’s supplier in identifying and resolving problems.

“Ultimately, Ford sued its engine supplier, Navistar, for $493 million for what it termed ‘exceptionally high repair rates and warranty costs due to quality problems attributable to Navistar,’ including ‘design flaws,’” the class action lawsuit continues.

The defective Ford engine class action lawsuit says Ford documents show that (1) Ford knew about issues regarding the 6.0L Engine even before the engine’s launch; (2) the same core concerns persisted throughout Ford’s production and sale of the 6.0L Engine; (3) Ford never had a “definitive repair action” for these issues; (4) most, if not all of these concerns had a “common cause;” and (5) Ford ultimately adopted a band-aid approach to reduce its “warranty spend,” without addressing the “common causes” of these problems.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Do your research o the FICM or know as the fuel injection control module. They are hard to find a new one and if you do find one I would suggest you keep one as a spare.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
rebar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
Do your research o the FICM or know as the fuel injection control module. They are hard to find a new one and if you do find one I would suggest you keep one as a spare.
Hard to find new? red flag red flag
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 324
I learned a lot from this guys videos. This 4 part series on how to buy a powerstroke is pretty good:

I ended up buying a new 2013 F250 with the 6.7L, so far, so good.

Good luck. -Ed

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:

They settled with all ambulance package 6.0 owners years and years ago, Ford is still doing head gaskets for free on those. I hated working on those turds, especially in the E chassis, don't miss them one bit.

We were still seeing the same problems on the 6.4, you'd be better off with another brand...Ford sucks.

Issues always seemed to start with a hyperextended thermostat, replace the stat and the blown out radiator, then it'd be a shitstorm from there...egr coolers are next, then the head gaskets.

This wasn't just one or two lemons in the fleet, it was all of them.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ford charges $600 for the power side of the computer and last I checked a 6 month wait. I did get one from Napa for $250 or abouts and had to wait a month. There is a place in Florida, I am sure there is a local place too, that fixes the problem for about $200 all said and done. Easy to replace once you get it. So that said if she starts rough when cold for sure you need the power side of the FICM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh and have fun doing the serpentine belt the first time. Mine wasn't a leaker but I have heard of oil leak problems too.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Gotta love the internet chatter -

I work in a Ford Parts Dept. , and I will sell ya as many FICM modules as you can afford to buy ! The ' power side ' as is referred to here, we call a half shell FICM and they sell for $556. I can get 35 of them overnite if need be!
The 6.0 is a problem child , no doubt, but one of the best things you can do to them is to add an inline coolant filter (@ $200 ) if the vehicle still has low mileage. The oil cooler and EGR cooler have small fins for the coolant to pass through , and left over sediment in the engine block will plug these and start a cascade of problems. An inline filter solves this. I can go on and on about 6.0 probs and fixes , but that's all for now. If you can get it cheap enough, you can invest $$ and make it into a good vehicle.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Buy the 6.0 if you have alot of money and like to go fast!
Buy the 7.3 if you don't have a lot of money and don't mind going slower.

I have a Late 99 7.3 and love it.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTirePlease View Post
I work in a Ford Parts Dept. , and I will sell ya as many FICM modules as you can afford to buy ! The ' power side ' as is referred to here, we call a half shell FICM and they sell for $556. I can get 35 of them overnite if need be!
The 6.0 is a problem child , no doubt, but one of the best things you can do to them is to add an inline coolant filter (@ $200 ) if the vehicle still has low mileage. The oil cooler and EGR cooler have small fins for the coolant to pass through , and left over sediment in the engine block will plug these and start a cascade of problems. An inline filter solves this. I can go on and on about 6.0 probs and fixes , but that's all for now. If you can get it cheap enough, you can invest $$ and make it into a good vehicle.
Ok. I am seriously fascinated by this....so please someone help me understand. Why would any one intentionally buy a truck that has an engine that is well documented to have numerous issues that can/will affect its reliability during your ownership. I mean, its not really if a problem will pop up...its when. I mean, its not like a ford with the 6.0 is the only choice out there for a diesel pick-up truck.

Its one thing to be stuck with one because you have an upside down loan or have too much invested and want to make it at least bearable to own..and another thing to actually be seeking one out to buy.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote