ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Motocommuter OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
All Dirt Route Across N. GA.

Anyone have an all dirt route across North Georgia? A couple of us are wanting to do an all dirt ride across N. GA and camp along the way. Maybe a 3 day ride. Don't want to reinvent the wheel so if some one has a route, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt
Motocommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,928
There are several things in North GA that make putting together a ride like this difficult. Topography, Lakes, Appalachain Trail, Wilderness Areas etc.

After looking at maps and trying to put together routes I found that I was much happier and got better riding in, by looking at what would be the cool roads to ride and then just use everything else as connector roads. You can miss out on some really good roads and wind up on a suckass road all because you did not want to ride 5 miles of asphalt if that makes sense.

If you want to do a basecamp and explore you are welcome to camp here in Clayton.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 535
I have thought about this and it would be possible, with only a few miles of pavement to connect some of the dirt sections. I believe that, with some work, you would be able to go from Dillard, GA to Copper Hill, TN or Tellico, TN with very little pavement. Good luck planning.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
I have thought about this and it would be possible, with only a few miles of pavement to connect some of the dirt sections. I believe that, with some work, you would be able to go from Dillard, GA to Copper Hill, TN or Tellico, TN with very little pavement. Good luck planning.

Ditto,

There are a lot of good twisty bits of pavement to throw into the mix here as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Ditto,

There are a lot of good twisty bits of pavement to throw into the mix here as well.
+1

Make sure you post the GPX file when you get it all planned out

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Motocommuter OP
n00b

Ok, should have said "mostly" dirt across N GA. Figured we would have to hit some pavement to get to the next dirt road. One of the issues I've had is the Nat Geo maps I have show roads but some have been closed off. Since there doesn't seem to be a route available, I'll start planning and if I have questions, I'll post to see if anyone knows if the road is closed or not.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

There are many FS roads that seasonally close, but to find the better roads you need to do some exploring and riding with those in the know. Many of the maps its hard to tell unless you get out and try them first.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Here is a good mapping tool for seeing terrain and roads.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...o&coord=latlng

Here are the legal FS roads.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/co...112&width=full

For Rabun County.

Hale Ridge Road
Sara's Creek to Tuskeete Creek
Patterson Gap
FS32C when open
Tallulah River
Charlies Creek
Upper Hightower
Double back on 76 to FS163 to Popcorn to 197 to 356
Run FS roads across Tray Gap.

That should get you a start....

Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Here is a good mapping tool for seeing terrain and roads.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...o&coord=latlng

Here are the legal FS roads.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/co...112&width=full

For Rabun County.

Hale Ridge Road
Sara's Creek to Tuskeete Creek
Patterson Gap
FS32C when open
Tallulah River
Charlies Creek
Upper Hightower
Double back on 76 to FS163 to Popcorn to 197 to 356
Run FS roads across Tray Gap.

That should get you a start....
Good Start DD

From Popcorn I'd take Kennesaw to 197
to Kelly School Rd
few others I can't remember right now
to 356
to backside of Trey Mtn
to Poplar Stump to Richard Russel Pkwy
to Helton Creek to 129
129 to 180
FS roads to 60
More FS going by Canada Creek Falls (don't recall the #'s right now, but I know the way) roads past the Airplane crash site into Oakland
Need to consult the map from there into TN.

That should get you started...

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Starting from Dahlonega

I live in dahlonega and have been putting together as much gravel as I can. I have created a ride that takes about 3/4 of a day that can get me from dahlonega up to north of helen, mostly gravel. From there I have some other roads in mind to take me on up toward dillard. I think the route I have would only be a good long one day trip. I guess you could break it into two short days.

If you want to come up and ride it with me sometime I don't mind showing you what I have in mind.
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
I'll give you some options (rough directions from memory) that can take you from North of Dahlonega to Tenn, since it sounds like the others have given option for east of Dahlonega.

In Suches take FS42 for several miles. Approximately halfway through FS42 (rough approximation) Take a right at FS 58. Take 58 down to Doublehead gap Rd which I think is gravel where you tie in. Take a right on Doublehead gap. A little ways after the gravel ends and it becomes paved, turn left on a relatively short gravel road that goes up a hill at the start. (don't know the name, but it connects with Dial Rd. - easy to see on a map) Take this road to Dial Rd. Go left on Dial rd. At first you are running beside the Toccoa River. It eventually turns into gravel. You will go beside the Toccoa river again for a little bit near Sandy Bottoms Canoe Launch. After you start back up the hill away from the river on some gravel curves you will see another gravel rd. on your left, take this (Shallowford Bridge Rd I think it's called?). Take this down to Shallowford Bridge and take a left on the bridge to cross the Toccoa river.

After you cross the bridge you are on Aska Rd. Take a right onto Aska. Within a short ways (maybe 1/4 mile) take a left onto Stanley Creek Rd. Go up and over Rich Mtn. (it turns to gravel after a ways). Eventually you will go up and over and then cross or go under hwy 515 into an area called Cherry log. You are very near the Cohuttas here. Find a Forest rd Map for the Cohuttas. You can take gravel roads in the Cohuttas all the way to Tennessee and cross the Ocoee River near Ducktown. (I don't remember the exact roads). There is one gravel road that you stay on for a long ways. Note - the name of the gravel forest roads changes numbers at the Tenn. line. The place I normally cross the Ocoee river is at some kind of big power station. You almost look like you are riding into a Parking lot for the station.

I know this is rough, but hope it helps. Maybe someone else can give specific road names to this rough suggestion.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Motocommuter OP
n00b

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. Need to bust out the maps and start plotting.

Wera456, I may take you up on the offer once I get things plotted out, live south of ATL so it takes me a little to get up that way.

Again, thanks!

Kurt
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 545
If you have the mapsource computer program, it would be worth looking into the Trans Eastern Trail; it runs clear across N GA...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589118
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
We could do a half day. If you bring beer I could probably let you stay in the basement. We could make it a half day so you could get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocommuter View Post
Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. Need to bust out the maps and start plotting.

Wera456, I may take you up on the offer once I get things plotted out, live south of ATL so it takes me a little to get up that way.

Again, thanks!

Kurt
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
brownie2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Don't forget that little piece of dirt between 129 and 180! Turn beside Sunshine grocery to get it. Then take a right on 180 and then a right at the top of the gap for Duncan ridge. Then you have several options to get towards Double head gap. You can straight shoot out Coopers crk to Rock crk or swing south and cross old Bucktown(sp).

I worked on a route for a while that I thought would be a good three day loop. I was looking at most of what's been discussed here and then run into TN and cut back into NC. Probably catch some SC and done. I had the most trouble deciding on a route in NC. I think this would be about a 70% dirt route with tons of opportunites for alternates and dead end exploration.

I wish there was a some way to highlight a route easily on a computer topo map. I'd like to be able to create a map showing where the pavement ends, etc. It's a shame that with all the current GPS and satelite technology that there is not an accurate map available. Even FS maps haven't been updated in twenty or thirty years. I like the Nat Geo maps best for there clarity but they are no where near 100% accurate.

As suggested before, check out the TET route.
Almost all of the county roads in Towns county are paved except the best one, Upper Hightower!
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote