User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Infra's 2012+ 1993 R100GSPD Refresh Thread

Starting a new thread for whatever I do to the new-to-me Green/White 1993 R100GSPD that just followed me home.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Placeholder 1

Pre-Purchase Photos of the bike itself.

Some of the Pre-Purchase Photos. I saved these from Lonnie's for sale ad here in Bikes and also over on eBay. From Lonnie's description the bike was pretty much original with the additional of a Fox Shock and a Omega 400 watt electrical system. One of the pics shows the Fox shock which I feel is a very good quality shock as it has a remote reservoir. It may need to be "freshened" and I am pretty sure these are rebuildable as I raced with a Fox Shock on my Honda F3 when I club raced. Another pic shows the Omega rotor with the engine front cover off. The bike is sporting the low front fender but I also got the original high one as well that I'll show photos of in the next post.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 04:30 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Place Holder 2

These items also came with the bike:

1. Two-Up Corbin seat with the trim (forgot the word for that, piping?) that matches the Teal on the bike.
2. Original BMW shock.
3. Original BMW hand guards.
4. Original BMW fork springs (has Progressive now).
5. Original BMW panniers.
6. Original BMW pannier mounting brackets. These are chrome which is weird. I thought all GS's had the black metal brackets except for the 1995 PD classic but I must be wrong. Or these were replaced at some point.
7. High front fender which I think would be the original fender. I am assuming one of the PO's mounted a low fender after purchase. I plan on mounting the high unless I am missing some hardware needed.
8. Original BMW Teal Green headlight guard. Right now there's a piece of plexiglass over the headlight. I will remove that and remount the original guard.
9. BMW (I think) tank bag. Not sure if this is for a PD or not. I have not played with it yet.
10. Some sort of bigger windscreen. It's not BMW and it's not a Pope-Mobile either. Lonnie said maybe a Harley or something. No idea and will likely not be used.
11. A big box of receipts, service records, and original sales certificate. I have not examined these yet but will try to build a service history from them if possible.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 06:46 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,949

Welcome back, Tom!!!!

Can I have #13?

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 04:26 PM
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Place Holder 3

Pickup Day

Here's a shot of the seller after we've loaded the bike aboard my old trailer. Lonnie lent me a pair of soft straps as the Canyon Dancer I brought would not work with the handguards on the bike and I didn't feel like removing the screws on the ends to get it mounted.

And just about ready to go. I stopped every 5 minutes for the first 30 minutes to ensure nothing would come loose.

And then 620 miles home looking in the mirror. There's not a lot of excitement on I-80 from Salt Lake all the way to Cheyenne, WY. But it was a no-snow, no-ice, light traffic day. It was dark before I was half-way across Wyoming and the rest of the time was checking that the bike was still there by tapping the brake pedal in the 4Runner.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 05:55 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Place Holder 4

First thoughts.

Got the bike started today and putted around the neighborhood. I didn't check the tire pressure or oil level or any of those critical things. I don't even have a tag on it. The only deficiency I can find right now is that I don't have a brake light. Neither the front or rear brake levers makes the light come on. I do have a tail light. My guess is that the tail light lost one of it's filaments and a quick switch of an 1157 bulb will fix that. If not, I'll get the multimeter out and diagnose.

Other than that it starts like all airheads do when it's 35F outside: slowly. I am not sure of the jetting but the bike was purchased in Utah and I think lived it's whole life there. I'd be surprised if the jetting was not stock as it ran okay for 6400' elevation at our house here in Colorado Springs. I am pretty certain it still has a Bosch starter in there by the way it sounds at start up. The bike runs fine, makes no strange noises. All of the others lights, horns, turn signals. high/low all work. The horn is not OEM but some sort of PIAA (if I read the label right) aftermarket horn which sounds pretty darn awesome compared to the stock horn. It shifted fine and the brakes worked as well as an airheads brakes can work (modern KTM 950 can spoil you..).

I did not check the heated grips but there is an OEM heated grip switch on the dash and Lonnie said they were heated grips. Will check that soon.

Had no chance to go faster than 40 or so but the bike felt like it was going to be okay. We have ice and snow on the roads in the 'hood. It will be a week or so before I get a chance to move it downstairs to the shop.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 06:03 PM
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by infracaninophile View Post
place holder 4
+1
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Sweet. I missed these.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,613
on no not another long over detailed boring bike thread

Jenna you need to delete your post as your interfering w/ his space....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
Hey, Tom! Back for more, eh?

May be just a typo, but that's an Enduralast alternator

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Hey, Tom! Back for more, eh?

May be just a typo, but that's an Enduralast alternator

BG:

Are you sure? I asked Lonnie to remove the front cover and take a picture. He never stated what it was but he did say that it had the "upgraded 400W motherboard" which I assumed meant it had the Omega diode board and rotor. I have not looked under the front cover but if that's an Enduralast that would mean, if I have not forgotten, that:

1. There will be no diode board?
2. There will be a voltage regulator somewhere hidden under the seat area somewhere?
3. I thought all Enduralast's were 450 watts? Lonnie said 400 so I thought Omega.

Or have I got it all backwards?

Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,109
I'm turquoise with envy! Too far away to purchase that PD when it went on the Flea Market, you've got my ultimate bike sir! I gleaned tons of info from your previous thread for work on my RT's, and look forward to your detailed posts once again. Subscribed!

Thanks, Steve
"Why do thy think that their rubber is so much more valuable than everybody elses? Is it excised from the whelted buttock of some high ranking supplicant at madam Swartz's House Of Pain? Is it pre-soaked with the quim of alien virgins? Do they hand deliver it and fit it for me whilst plying me with Bolinger and tickling my baw sack with a Dodo feather?"- Bonkers the Dog
squiffynimrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Omega or Enduralast?

BG:

Just Googled the Enduralast web site and the picture there sure looks like the unit on my bike. I need to check my box of receipts and service records.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=135

tom
Old 01-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
1. There will be no diode board? No diode board
2. There will be a voltage regulator somewhere hidden under the seat area somewhere? Solid state regulator/rectifier combo. Could be under the tank too. It's aluminum and has cooling fins. Can't miss it.
3. I thought all Enduralast's were 450 watts? Lonnie said 400 so I thought Omega. It's advertised as 450, but makes more like 350.

Or have I got it all backwards? Nope.
Yep, that's an enduralast. Answers above in red.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Yep, that's an enduralast. Answers above in red.
AW:

Thanks. But if it's really just 350W then why upgrade from the stock 280? Is it that it starts making juice at lower RPM's? Else that's really not a big upgrade. But I won't miss the diode board and won't need a rotor removal bolt...

Tom