Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

btw, Lonnie met me in Green River to get the CBX
Blake:

He agreed to meet me in Grand Junction. But the price was better if I came to his house. I am a professional bottom feeder. I had the time and drove to his house.

BTW, did you mean Green River, WY which is on I-80 east of Evanston, WY or Green River, UT next to the offroad mecca of the planet, Moab? I always forget there are two and they are not that far apart but are in different states.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I always forget there are two and they are not that far apart but are in different states.
Two?!? I cross the Green River twice a day...and I live in Seattle (but I know what you really mean).

Looking forward to the fantastic build thread.

p.s. Yes, the Fox shock is rebuildable. Fox won't do it but they referred me to a couple of rebuilders when I inquired last year (just haven't had mine rebuilt yet). I think you'll like the shock.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
Two?!? I cross the Green River twice a day...and I live in Seattle (but I know what you really mean).

Looking forward to the fantastic build thread.

p.s. Yes, the Fox shock is rebuildable. Fox won't do it but they referred me to a couple of rebuilders when I inquired last year (just haven't had mine rebuilt yet). I think you'll like the shock.
Fish:

I meant there are two actual, small towns called Green River. Yes, I had my old Fox rebuilt several times when I raced. I will have it redone at Hitchcock Industries (Neil Hores) in Denver this winter. Assuming I don't find a rebuild receipt in the box of receipts.

Tom
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #34
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,566
Quote:
BTW, did you mean Green River, WY which is on I-80 east of Evanston, WY or Green River, UT next to the offroad mecca of the planet, Moab? I always forget there are two and they are not that far apart but are in different states.
the one in Utah....I wanted a steak at Ray's

I just saw the other thread and see you have a deal pending on that gorgeous red GSPD. Good show!
I'll save my sheckels for the teal one
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #35
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
the one in Utah....I wanted a steak at Ray's

I just saw the other thread and see you have a deal pending on that gorgeous red GSPD. Good show!
I'll save my sheckels for the teal one
Blake:

Thanks, but it is pending, not a deal. So feel free to jump in. My hiking partner of 10 years moved back to VA a year ago (job related) and will try to go over and have him eyeball the bike and ride it around. He's also a rider and a former Iron Butt finisher so he has some bike cred but he's not an airhead guy. If I make the deal, I need to decide how to get it from there to here (ship) or wait until spring and fly in and ride home. I am not going out with the 4Runner and trailer.

I checked to see if Anton Lagardier lived close enough and I'd pay for him to check the bike out but he's over 150+ miles away in Charlottesville so that won't work. Maybe if nothing else it can go to Bob's BMW for a pre-buy check and replace those 10 year old tires.

Tom
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #36
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 949

Hi Tom,

I loved your last build...waiting to see what you're going to do this time! I can see that emissions stuff heading for the corner and the Fox can go about 50K miles between rebuilds depending on the level of abuse..I mean fun...Endurolast is a no-brainer for reliability and adding more electrons.

Always liked that color...
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #37
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
Hey Tom, I'll bring it out to you, since I didn't do the TAT on my G/S. This one looks perfect for the job. Just pay the gas and we'll call it even. I'll be a little put out to do it so more money for food couldn't hurt either.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post

Hi Tom,

I loved your last build...waiting to see what you're going to do this time! I can see that emissions stuff heading for the corner and the Fox can go about 50K miles between rebuilds depending on the level of abuse..I mean fun...Endurolast is a no-brainer for reliability and adding more electrons.

Always liked that color...
Greg:

Thanks. Not sure what I am going to do for a little bit as work is busy after being off for 10 days and we start the kitchen remodel next week for 7-8 weeks down to the bare walls.

I never really did that much to my old R100GS except some steering head bearings, wheel bearings, and carb rebuilds. That thing was just a good daily rider. All the attention went to the "cool" G/S. I know this is heresy here, but I'd always pick the R100GS to ride if I was trying to cover 100+ miles as it was just an easier bike for what I did with it. Now with the KTM 950 in the stable I have a fast bike to go out with the big boys as well and don't fret over having my airhead to putt around on. Now that I hit 55 I tend to putt more than go fast.

Hope to get the Teal GS down on the workbench soon and start making a list of things to check and explore. Right now I have started to read all of the receipts and records from the previous owners. The bike lived it's entire life in Salt Lake City, UT. I am going to contact the PO's to see where it went to obtain almost 82K miles.

Was just out in CA for 6 days (3 days in Big Sur, 3 days in Sausalito). Drove right past Foster City coming and going. One of these days I'd love to see your restoration workshop.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 09:40 PM
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #39
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Hey Tom, I'll bring it out to you, since I didn't do the TAT on my G/S. This one looks perfect for the job. Just pay the gas and we'll call it even. I'll be a little put out to do it so more money for food couldn't hurt either.

Let me think that over for few days OLH. I actually think the red bike belongs in the Barber Museum. It looks that good. I have never ever seen a GS or PD with one of these (the clock). Seller says he bought it when he got the bike. This 95 is a one owner 14K mile bike.

I snagged photos from the seller in big size and put them here:

http://vervaeke.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...131967_h8hp4k3
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,016
I have one of those nice factory clocks. It isn't very good at keeping time - it never went blank, it just kept jumping around to a different number every time I looked at it. You would think that a digital clock would go blank when they fail - not these. I bought a nice classic Formotion clock instead - no more problems.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Bike History - Day 1 - First Owner

Okay, back to the Teal 93 PD.

Started reading through the really nice big file folder of stuff I got from Lonnie. Here's what I can tell so far:

1. The original owner was Tracy Forman and he bought the bike on 3-29-93 and lived in Heriman, Utah 84065. I tried to Google Heriman, UT and it's not listed. But there is a Herriman, UT with a zip code of 84096 so guess it was a typo on the sales order. Herriman is in SW Salt Lake City. Unless there's another Heriman out there somewhere. I don't know SLC at all.

2. The selling dealer was South Valley Yamaha in Sandy, UT. It's about 12 miles from dealer to buyer. Back in the days when multi-line dealers also sold BMW's. This is a new bike as I will post later some correspondence from BMW to Tracy about the "Welcome to BMW" speech.

3. The VIN decoder says this bike was an original PD made for the US market and was built in 09/92.

I found this original sales receipt on a piece of 8.5 x 11" paper that looks just like a receipt for an oil filter at the dealer. Price of the bike was $8,500. No taxes mentioned so perhaps that was the "Out The Door" price. Also says Layaway Deal at the top. I don't think I've ever bought a used bike where the original sales receipt came along; especially on a bike almost 20 years old.

I have no idea what the numbers on the bottom mean. I don't see anything resembling a mileage. Ideas?

The receipt was pretty badly faded so needed to play around with it a bit to get the details to pop out thus explaining the yellowish tint.

Tom
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #42
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

1993 BMW Prices and Options

Got an almost pristine copy of this brochure which must have come when Owner #1 purchased the bike. Pretty cool. List price for a 1993 R10GS PD was $8790. I don't think that included luggage, tank bag, etc.. as these are listed as available at extra cost. My bike does not have the Hazard Flashers and not seen that many that did.

I'd like to know what the "Sport Front Suspension" and "Sport Rear Suspension" were. Did these things come with optional upgraded suspension?

Tom
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #43
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,661
Check the Max Fische... the front sport is a spring that is still available, the rear sport was a shock, but I don't see that anymore

**edit** the rear sport is a shock and it's on the old GSPD, as well as the front sport spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,419
Quote:
I'd like to know what the "Sport Front Suspension" and "Sport Rear Suspension" were. Did these things come with optional upgraded suspension?
The sport rear suspension was a WP rear shock with a piggyback reservoir. The front sport suspension may have been those cartridge inserts available through HPN and others. They may have just been different springs though.

EDIT: nevermind on the cartridges. Solo called it. It's just different springs. I believe this is the optional rear shock:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 11:35 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #45
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Thanks guys. Don't think I've ever seen a BMW with a BMW shock with a piggy back reservoir on it other than AW's picture. Or, if I did, thought it was aftermarket. Interesting.

Front fender: My bike is sporting a low, white front fender. But in the box of spares is what appears to be the original high fender with the color matching Teal "beak" thingie. My goal is to remount the high fender unless I need any hardware which is missing.

Did all PD's come with the high? Or was the low optional? If my bike came with a high I wonder why someone would mount a low? More civilized for non-off road riding?

T.