User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #61
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Greg:

Well, we were at Nepenthe for drinks and appetizers on Christmas Day in the afternoon. Wanted to do dinner but they closed at 4 PM. What a view they have. We stay at the Ripplewood Cabins down in the redwood grove and will be there next Christmas for 4 days again. Perhaps if you pass by...

Are all your in progress G/S and GS's bikes that already belong to customers or do you do them and then sell them? Who do you use for Trans work? I have 2 bikes sans circlips I think.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
Might have seen you...I was at Nepenthe enjoying the driest winter in CA history. It will be close to 70 in parts of the Bay area today..great day to ride over to the coast for some clam chowder.

Should have called while here..Currently have 5 bikes under construction..2 G/Ss, 2 GSs and an R75/5. Plus I'm the only idiot in the world that's rebuilding a K100 engine from crank out.

Hope to have most of the bikes finished by May..have 2 months out for a project in London..and who knows what will come in the door next

Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #62
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 418
as long as there is no chunks on the drain plug ...buy a dimple plug and drive it till it gets crapped up .... the stock plug is very sad compared to the dimple for pulling fragments from the oil ....ted porter or that outfit out of national city will be my choice ...when and if ..... until ... ride on
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #63
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

I tracked down and spoke on the phone to both of the two previous owners of the bike. Owner #3, Lonnie, only owned it for a very short time. Will write a little dialogue once I get my thoughts in order. I need to go back and read my notes and make my plans.

The bike may need more work (potentially) than I thought based on the input from owner #2 and what was and wasn't actually done to the bike. Unless some work was done by the shop itself after the bike was traded in, for which I have no receipts. Hoping that could be the case.

Still feel like I got a good deal and now just need to put a plan together for the winter maintenance cycle. At least I have a better understanding of what has been done and what may need looking over for a bike with 82K.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 07:40 AM
Old 01-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #64
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Supertrapp?

In my conversation with Original Owner #2 yesterday he informed me he had a full Supertrapp system that was mounted on this bike at one point. He is willing to sell it. He did say he had a hard time tuning it to make it work really well.

This also explains Lonnies comments about the "muffler repacking kit". It was when Owner #2 had the Supertrapp on.

Questions:

1 Anyone here with experience on a R100 or R80 GS or G/S with a Supertrapp?

2. Value of one of these? It appears to have two headers and a muffler. No pre-muffler.

3. If it turns out that I don't want it, would anyone else be interested?

I don't have a final price yet but have an idea what the seller is asking.

Tom
Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #65
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 964
Hi Tom,

Have to put next year around Christmas on a calender for Big Sur. I actually have a sunburn from spending the day at Capitola yesterday!

3 bikes are for customers and 2 for me. Since my long time BMW guy (Bob Grauer) quit doing trannys and only does heads now, I started using Brent Hansen, He's done 5 for me and they come back looking factory new and shift like butter. He also does a ton of work on vintage BMWs...R12, R69S, R51/3 etc. and is one of the few people set up to align crankshafts.

Just happens I have a G/S with ALL the upgrades, an R100GSPG I rebuilt 3K miles ago, and a stock R80G/S for sale. Sold the stock restored G/SPD last week.

I had a Supertrapp on an R80G/S..ran like crap till I read their website. Repacked and put in the correct number of plates. THEN it ran great and was nice and quiet at idle and normal riding...got real throaty when you twisted the throttle.

Simple light system..headers to the muffler.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #66
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,793
Supertrapps tend to really lean out just off idle. The trick (besides tuning the plates) is a richer needle jet.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #67
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 418
Been wondering

regarding exhausts ... supertrapp staintune seem {are } spendy ........any thoughts on using a box from an 1150 gs ? seems to be many had for cheap just a matter of a little stainless plumbing ..... Also I think there was a complete exhaust package used on bmoa the other day
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #68
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

History Part 2

Spoke to both owners on the phone on Sunday to get as much information on the bike as possible. This was just for me to fill in the voids and try to find if the bike has any hidden issues or quirks.

Owner 1: Tracy Forman. Bought the bike 3-29-93 brand new and sold it in 2005 with approximately 47,000 miles. He took it out for trips about every other weekend and did a lot of offroad miles with the bike. Bike never went anywhere far away but did visit all the surrounding states like Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, etc.. He said no big trips, just weekend riding. Stated he never had issues with the bike and with the exception of the initial service did all work on the bike himself. He sold the bike with the high fender and never had the low. Placed an ad in the paper and sold the bike to Owner 2. I did not ask the sales price. He did reiterate that the bike had "a lot of offroad miles". He added the Fox shock in 2000.

Owner 2: Jay Jaminson. Salt Lake City. Was the VP of the Beehive Beemers club at one point but not now. Bought the bike directly from Tracy. Jay worked at an independent motorcycle dealer during the time he owned the bike and had it serviced there. Some details as there are many:

1. He bought and put the low fender on as he tended to ride mostly roads or easy offroad. It is a BMW fender and I can see it listed in the BMW accessory catalog.

2. Fox Shock: Never rebuilt the fox shock. So the shock was installed around 2000 and unchanged until now unless Owner #1 had it rebuilt. Since Jay is 6' 205 we're about the same size. I think the shock will go off to be refreshed locally.

3. Transmission: I asked him why the transmission was taken apart and if the circlip was done. He stated a spring had broken (forgot the name of the little spring that can break) and when in there around 50K miles they replaced some seals and bearings. They did NOT fix the circlip as they were not a BMW shop and no one knew to do it. That settles that issue definitely for me. I will check the drain plug on the trannie when I change the fluid and see if it has a magnetic plug or not. If not, I will add one. May consider having the trans out and rebuilt to check the circlip, or at least inspected.

4. Enduralast: Jay had this installed at about 70000 miles and it is the 450W unit. I think I have a receipt for this but have not cataloged it all yet.

5. Driveshaft: The bike does not have a NEW drive shaft as stated. But it does have a Guy Henderson rebuilt shaft. Jay said the front U-Joint failed so he had the shaft removed and sent out to Guy for rebuild. Has the new urethane pieces and the greaseable zirks. I need to look at the mileage when this was done but will likely inspect and grease. Especially if the trans get pulled. I have a receipt for the labor but nothing in the folder for the rebuild. I will take Jay's word.

6. Clutch: The bike does not have a new clutch as stated. Unless the shop added one after the bike was traded in. I will check with the shop next week to see if they did any work on it. If not, I will pull the trans back and check the clutch plate. If the trans goes out for a circlip fix then I'll be in there anyway.

7. Timing Chain/Gear: Never changed. I will inspect this. Is 81K miles okay for an original chain/gear?

8. Top End Rebuild: the bike got new rings and cylinders honed around 50K or so. Apparently the guys in the shop where he works (he was not a wrench) suggested it. No idea why. Hard to believe a bike with 50K miles would need rings or a hone unless Owner #1 did something bad to the bike. But in any case the top end was freshened and I have receipts for that.

9. Head Work: No head work has ever been done on the bike. Question: With 82K, should I pull the heads and inspect?

10. Front end: Jay has not had the fork seals or fluids changed in a long time. Seller stated they were freshened. I need to see if I can find a receipt or call the shop. In any case, I will check the fluids anyway and likely just freshen the fork oil. It has progressive springs in it and I have the originals in the box.

Jay rode the bike mainly in Utah and said the furthest the bike ever got from Salt Lake was southern Utah. Said the bike does not burn oil and never had any issues at all. For a while he had the Supertrap on the bike but could never get it tuned right and removed it. He has offered to sell it to me but based on the comments yesterday it sounds like it would not really add any value to the bike. I also don't like loud. Jay said he also had a HID headlight on it for a while but removed it due to issues. The bike has the standard headlight with a "better" bulb in there. I will check it.

Jay traded in both this bike and a 1981 R80 G/S PD at the same time and bought a 2010 R1200GS (non adventure). Jay seemed like a real "BMW Guy" but not really a wrencher. He worked at the non-BMW dealership for many years (not sure if he still does) but had all the work done by the shop typically in the slower winter months. He seemed happy the bike got into good hands (I hope I am good hands).

The third owner was Lonnie who I bought the bike from. It looked like Lonnie owned the bike just a short time and then sold it. I am glad to have gotten all the spare parts and records from Lonnie.

Next up is to put together a chronology of all of the service records into a spreadsheet with dates and mileages to see what may need to be done other than:

1. Check the clutch.
2. Check the driveshaft.
3. Check the heads.
4. Determine if the circlip needs to be done or just live with it.
5. Have the Fox shock freshened.
6. Change the fork oil and check the seals.
7. Change the engine oil, filter, and trans and final drives.
8. Valve adjust.
9. Check timing.
10. Check all the cables.
11. Flush the front brake fluid.
12. Check front brake pads.
13. Check rear brake shoes.
14. Put the high fender back on and determine what fittings are needed when I remove the low fender.
15. Check the timing gear/chain.
16. Spline lube.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 08:37 AM
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #69
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 964
Reguarding your list...

Top end refresh so soon. No real reason unless it was burning oil. I can't remember if this model came with the emissions plumbing but if it did and had 30K+ miles - especially dirt, the valves may have started to travel a bit. To do the rings and not have a valve job doesn't make sense. I would say set the valves, ride for 3-5K miles and see if they tightened up. That will tell you real quick about the heads..or just drop them and have a look.

If it's just the circlip issue...same thing...ride it for a while and see if there's an issue with the 3-2 downshift..if so, the bearing is walking on the shaft. Mag plug is mandatory for engines and trannys. If the internals are good and it's just a tear down, install the C clip and button back up..that shouldn't be more than $200 for everything.

Fox rebuild with new seals and revalved for your riding style should run around $200 or so.

You can hear a loose timing chain with a cold motor at idle..the slapping sound goes away with more rpms. Heavy off road is hard on the chain but it all depends..sometimes they go 150K and no sound..others stretch out at 70K of hard riding. Not a difficult job if you end up pulling the engine anyway.

Same story with the clutch...4.5 is the minimum and off road can wear it down..I measured engines with true 150K miles and the original clutch still measured over 5.

All those dirt miles and never blown a fork seal is just luck. Does the bike have gators....that really helps save the seals.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #70
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Spoke to both owners on the phone on Sunday to get as much information on the bike as possible.
You are thorough.

Quote:
1. He bought and put the low fender on as he tended to ride mostly roads or easy offroad. It is a BMW fender and I can see it listed in the BMW accessory catalog.
Yep, was OEM on the GS starting in '89 (ish)

Quote:
5. Driveshaft: The bike does not have a NEW drive shaft as stated. But it does have a Guy Henderson rebuilt shaft. Has the new urethane pieces and the greaseable zirks.
Since we're being detail oriented, I'll say that a;; the Guy Henderson rebuilt shafts I've seen do not have urethane "pieces", rather, they have a poured urethane bumper that separates the front and rear shafts. Not pieces like the one that Ted Porter is selling.

Quote:
7. Timing Chain/Gear: Never changed. I will inspect this. Is 81K miles okay for an original chain/gear?
That can depend. A well used motor (poss. abused) could easily need a new timing chain at half those miles.

Quote:
9. Head Work: No head work has ever been done on the bike. Question: With 82K, should I pull the heads and inspect?
I'd say yes. I had a cracked ex. valve (suspect the pulse air system) at 30K. Regardless, this is an easy check-up.

Quote:
10. Front end: Jay has not had the fork seals or fluids changed in a long time. Seller stated they were freshened. I need to see if I can find a receipt or call the shop.
Definitely change the fluid, wait for the seals to leak before touching them.

FWIW, YMMV (where's the tip 'o the hat smiley?).
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #71
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
Thumb interesting thread

Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Kind of scary that I like my GSPD so much, that I enjoy reading about other owners doing maintenance on theirs. haha

Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #72
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
That bike looks fantastic, especially for a high mileage bike. What a cream puff.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #73
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
That bike looks fantastic, especially for a high mileage bike. What a cream puff.
Clay:

Thanks. Like all old bikes: it looks good from 5-10'.

The bike is on the lift in the man cave but have not had a second to play with it yet. Our kitchen remodel started Monday morning and my house is full of expensive blue collar workers who make a lot of money!

During the evenings I have taken the time now to enter into an Excel spreadsheet all of the receipts I have from all of the previous owners. Most of them had dates, mileage, etc.. so I can determine what was done. There is some remarkably good news in there on some of the major work that was done and at what higher mileages. Meaning: some of the important stuff was done not that long ago.

On a side note: It appears the heated grips, the grips themselves, the switch for the heated grips, etc.. all have been replaced multiple times. No idea what's up with that. I will speak to owner #2 again via email to see about that.

More details soon. Work is busy as well with travel to LA next week so likely not a lot of bike work for another 10 days.

Tom
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #74
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Tom,
congrats on the two GSPDs. I work just across the river in DC from the red and white one and was drooling over the for sale ad. Given your previous documentaries on refreshing and maintaining your bikes (read both airhead and ktm threads:) ), these bikes couldn't be in better hands.

Very much looking forward to following along.

Gero
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #75
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron View Post
Tom,
congrats on the two GSPDs. I work just across the river in DC from the red and white one and was drooling over the for sale ad. Given your previous documentaries on refreshing and maintaining your bikes (read both airhead and ktm threads:) ), these bikes couldn't be in better hands.

Very much looking forward to following along.

Gero
Gero:

Thanks, I lived in the DC area until 1992 when my company forced me to move to Colorado. How I hated it.

The title to the Red PD arrived today. The bike will be loaded into the truck sometime on Friday morning in Fairfax and start heading this way via JC Motors which has made shipping a motorbike a few clicks on a screen and a PayPal payment. I can guarantee this will cause a US-Wide snow storm to last two weeks starting Saturday.

Tom