ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #76
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Glad you are on the mend, with the power of the orange crush you have no choice but to recover
Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #77
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Great to hear. Get well soon.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #78
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Godspeed to you on the mend....

CP- Hoping for your speedy recovery. It's just not the same around here without your avatar looming about.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #79
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
Holy cow!!

I've been in a dakar coma (the state, not the Mark) for the past week and just came upon this.

Sure am happy that you are on the mend. What you have contributed here at ADV, as well on the mean streets of LA slaying the dragon, speaks volumes as to what kind of man that you are.

Thank you for all that you have done and best wishes battling through your health issues.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #80
cam188
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
CP Get well soon. Thank you for all the info you have given this community.
cam188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #81
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Laugh

I'm baaack. Well sorta. Just have my Droid right now. Just wanted to let you all know that I felt your prayers and good vibes during my latest down time for repairs. If I'd have known that I was going to last this long, I'd have done a bit more pm in the past. I tried but couldn't find a up to date HOW on my model so fixing myself wasn't working, though I tried to for a couple of days. Finally, I decided to go into an independent tech to let them have a go. They looked around and found an old repair manual and someone with access to a HOW. That covered my old model year (47).

Turns out that along with some TSB's that hadn't been done, I had a bad part that had to be removed. As we have found with our ninefiddys and nineties, it was a factory part that wasn't needed and just made the rest of me run bad, so they removed it (gallbladderectomy).

I still wasn't firing on both cylinders and had some intermittent flutter at certain throttle openings, so I had a different tech do some reprogramming of my ECU. Not sure, but I think he may have used a version of TuneECU.

Everything seems to be working well now. Starts on first try and idles smoothly. Haven't run it hard yet as the techs said to break back in fairly easy. Ha! Like I've ever followed that recommendation :-P I've got some long rides planned for the spring and summer so we'll see what kind of repair job they did.

Thank you all for the huge outpouring of wellwishes and prayers. I am truly overwhelmed and humbled. Seeyall on the trail.

-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #82
geometrician OP
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Thumb Colorado CPModem ride

Well I say we pick the most advantageous dates for a LC8 ride this summer, "centrally located" in Colorado for a giant meet & greet with CP

- Pikes Peak weekend? Or would tht be too much of a sideshow & not enough riding?

- Full Moon weekend?

- Moab or other National Parks?

I'm already letting the boss-man know... be prepared

Come on guys & gals, make some suggestions!
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #83
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
That's great news!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #84
Sandman 950

Oddometer: 192
Like a concerned mother who's temporarily lost child has just been found...

"DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!"

Welcome back
Sandman 950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #85
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
So glad to hear you are on the mend. I've been in the Dakar thread and just came across this...

Take it easy, and take care of yourself...you have lots of support from here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
I'm baaack. Well sorta. Just have my Droid right now. Just wanted to let you all know that I felt your prayers and good vibes during my latest down time for repairs. If I'd have known that I was going to last this long, I'd have done a bit more pm in the past. I tried but couldn't find a up to date HOW on my model so fixing myself wasn't working, though I tried to for a couple of days. Finally, I decided to go into an independent tech to let them have a go. They looked around and found an old repair manual and someone with access to a HOW. That covered my old model year (47).

Turns out that along with some TSB's that hadn't been done, I had a bad part that had to be removed. As we have found with our ninefiddys and nineties, it was a factory part that wasn't needed and just made the rest of me run bad, so they removed it (gallbladderectomy).

I still wasn't firing on both cylinders and had some intermittent flutter at certain throttle openings, so I had a different tech do some reprogramming of my ECU. Not sure, but I think he may have used a version of TuneECU.

Everything seems to be working well now. Starts on first try and idles smoothly. Haven't run it hard yet as the techs said to break back in fairly easy. Ha! Like I've ever followed that recommendation :-P I've got some long rides planned for the spring and summer so we'll see what kind of repair job they did.

Thank you all for the huge outpouring of wellwishes and prayers. I am truly overwhelmed and humbled. Seeyall on the trail.

-cp
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #86
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 322
Been out of town so I'm late on the well wishes bus CP. Glad to hear you're on the mend and isolating the issues in good spirits.

Heal well, Bonne Chance, Buena Suerte
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #87
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:

-cp

I tried to turn a buddy orange, but he went a bit yellow....GS800. Still after a full gallbladderectomy he’s running fine too now. Good to see ya running on better fuel CP..
Old 01-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #88
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Glad you're back...

But where are the photos and diagrams? I need to replicate this on my unit and am half way into the repair...

Quote:

-cp
Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #89
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
But where are the photos and diagrams? I need to replicate this on my unit and am half way into the repair...
Got some damn fuggly images in full gory color the doc took from the inside and closeups of the failed part on the tray after removal. Not something that I'd subject the Forum to though.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #90
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,256
Do it. This forum likes gore. Can't be worse than the aftermath of a backed out clutch bolt.

Glad you're better.