ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #61
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
Pity there is no AWD option.
Yeah. Something to set it apart.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #62
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Yeah. Something to set it apart.
You mean make it more like the WRX? AWD would add a lot of extra weight and negate one of the main points behind the design of the car.

The car is supposed to be a throw back to the AE86 with a bit of 2000GT thrown in. Maybe some 800S as well.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #63
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,614
The WRX is a sedan, not a sports coupe.

At the pricepoint, there are lots of other choices for those considering something like a BRZ.

If the BRZ had AWD, then at its pricepoint, it would have something the others don't.

If a person is holding $27k in thier hand and ready to buy a sports coupe, there are lots of great options, both new and used.

Since the BRZ is in the high twenties, and is simply a RWD sports coupe that has a clone over at Scion, my money would be spent on a lightly used BMW Z4 Coupe, or maybe something rare like a lightly used Solstice Coupe Turbo.

Or a new Miata with retractable hardtop...

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #64
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
The WRX is a sedan, not a sports coupe.

At the pricepoint, there are lots of other choices for those considering something like a BRZ.

If the BRZ had AWD, then at its pricepoint, it would have something the others don't.

If a person is holding $27k in thier hand and ready to buy a sports coupe, there are lots of great options, both new and used.

Since the BRZ is in the high twenties, and is simply a RWD sports coupe that has a clone over at Scion, my money would be spent on a lightly used BMW Z4 Coupe, or maybe something rare like a lightly used Solstice Coupe Turbo.

Or a new Miata with retractable hardtop...

The GC8's were coupes before Subaru went all sedans. AWD would screw the MPG and add weight and complexity. They went through a lot to get the car balanced. AWD would throw all that out of whack. Not to mention, AWD would sap a lot of power from the N/A engine. Ever drive an Impreza 2.5 RS? They are slow...

I don't think it's fair to compare the car to a used car even if it's lightly used. The 2+2 setup still makes the car more practical then any roadster. Especially, if you only have one car. I'm not a fan of the new MX-5. It got pretty bloated with the 3Gen compared to the old 2Gen. I also wished Mazda would have imported the coupe. They were available in 2004 for a short time in Japan. Loved the look of that car. Reminiscent of the RX-7. The MX-5 isn't a fast car either. What it really lacks is practicality. I think the BRZ/FR-R/GT-86 adds that, while still being small. The designers went out of their way to use tires that are shared with the Toyota Prius Performance Package. Again keeping with the balance idea.

I find the BRZ/FR-S/FT-86 a nice change. Especially for Toyota. It's not going to be for everyone but neither were the Miata/MX-5, BMW Z4 or Solstice. A person with $27K who looks at a BRZ/FR-S/GT-86 is already looking for something specific/different.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #65
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
The GC8's were coupes before Subaru went all sedans.
Key word: "were".



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare the car to a used car even if it's lightly used.

People say this, but I don't get it.

If I have a certain amount to spend, I'm looking at what's available for that money (new or used) that will suit my purpose.



I hope they do well with the thing. I like Subarus. I just don't really get dropping the AWD and turbo, two things Subaru is known for on it's performance cars that differentiate it from all the others....
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #66
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer
 
PoundSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: socal
Oddometer: 6,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
At the pricepoint, there are lots of other choices for those considering something like a BRZ.
...
If a person is holding $27k in thier hand and ready to buy a sports coupe, there are lots of great options, both new and used.
...
Or a new Miata with retractable hardtop...
If you include used, *maybe* there's a lot of great choices, but there's a big segment of the population who don't want a used car, especially a used 'premium' car like a bmw with rlatively high maintenance costs.

New, not so much.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #67
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I'm not a fan of the new MX-5. It got pretty bloated with the 3Gen compared to the old 2Gen.
Just doing some reading, and it appears that the 2012 Miata weighs about 400 lbs less than the BRZ...

Top o the line Miata = 2400-2500.
Loaded BRZ = 2800-2900.

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #68
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Scooby Doo has tried the sports car thing before with somewhat less than spectacular results.

Let's see if this one's different

M
Have yet to drive an STI WRX huh?
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #69
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Key word: "were"

People say this, but I don't get it.

If I have a certain amount to spend, I'm looking at what's available for that money (new or used) that will suit my purpose.



I hope they do well with the thing. I like Subarus. I just don't really get dropping the AWD and turbo, two things Subaru is known for on it's performance cars that differentiate it from all the others....
Well, it sounds like you're not in the target group for a BRZ then,

Supposedly Subaru was apprehensive when they were brought the idea of a FR sports car. They had two main problems with it. One, it didn't match their current lineup. The second was that they didn't believe Toyota could pull off a sports car. The 86 project was Akio Toyoda's project from before he became the CEO and president of Toyota. I think they made a good move as Toyoda wants to bring back the soul to their line-up. The LFA really shows what they can do if they wanted to.

BTW: supposedly there is going to be a convertible coming.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #70
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Well, it sounds like you're not in the target group for a BRZ then
If that means a Subie fan who likes AWD and turbos, then I guess you're right.

What IS the target group for this vehicle, anyway?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
BTW: supposedly there is going to be a convertible coming.
That will be cool.



I'm going to have to stop by my local dealership and test one of these things.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #71
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 40,720
Motortrend compares it to the V6 Mustang with Trackpack.

__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #72
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Scooby Doo has tried the sports car thing before with somewhat less than spectacular results.

Let's see if this one's different

M
You're joking right...? Even a slightly modified WRX (less than $5K) will blow away just about any car under $120K.
An STi is an under $35K out of the box will do 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds...

PLEASE tell us all in your car wisdom, what is non-spectacular about that?
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #73
Flood
F5lood.
 
Flood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 10,161
The problem with looking for small, sporty fun cars, is that sooner or later you realize you can just get a first gen MX-5 for 2000, invest a grand in suspension and tires, another 500 to fix it up and have a fantastic driving experience.

Maybe the same will be true for BRZs/GT86s in 5-10 years.
__________________
TEAM F5

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #74
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 40,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
The problem with looking for small, sporty fun cars, is that sooner or later you realize you can just get a first gen MX-5 for €2000, invest a grand in suspension and tires, another 500 to fix it up and have a fantastic driving experience.

Maybe the same will be true for BRZs/GT86s in 5-10 years.

or even very little real money. And for me this would have to be a second car. So little $$ make sense.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #75
Vbird
In Room 237
 
Vbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: N.C.
Oddometer: 784
Checked the local dealer today. Won't be here until June. Each dealer will only get 3- one is already sold. Subie doesn't want to 'flood the market'. Guess the dealers will mark them up extra if it takes off.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014