User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Phx AZ - Cow Creek rd - testing new toys

I got some new toys for Christmas and today was the day to get out and play with 'em. My wife got me a new Contour HD helmet cam and I treated myself to a Garmin Montana w/ camera.

Where to start... camera works...

After I dropped the kids off at school, I took a quick trip about 30 miles N of Phoenix up in behind Lake Pleasant. A lot of the roads I took are submerged when the lake is full... not today. Funny... upon looking at Mapsource, it appears it is using the old lake levels before they raised the dam. The current lake level is at about 1,660' ASL. When full it is closer to 1,700'. Before they raised the dam, according to Mapsource, highwater level was at 1,590'.
My new Garmin works beautifully but I'm still feeling my way around... here is the ride route... a short 54 mile ride.

The camera came with two mounts. A solid mount that adheres to the side or top of the helmet or a clip mount that clips onto the goggle strap on the side. I chose to use the goggle strap to start with but it still allows for some vibration making me think I might change over to the solid mount adhesive.
Before you watch the video, you'll probably want to turn your sound OFF. For some reason, I get a lot of wind noise and I can't figure out where the microphone is. I put some masking tape over what I thought was the microphone but it did not seem to make any difference.
The first video was of this part of the ride...

">

DurtKlod screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 09:10 PM
DurtKlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Second video location was of this part...

Corresponding video...
">
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Final video location...

And final video...
">
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
19willys51
The Angry Owl

Oddometer: 32
Phx KLR

If you ever wanna take some wicked rides up north a bit, gimme a holler! Just took my KLR out to the Verde headwaters area, Cow Creek is usually where I go fishing but have to take the bike out there now! Thx for the post! I know that exact "road" in your first video, always camp down there on the water

19willys51 screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 09:21 PM
19willys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Great first video. I think solid mount just slightly better. My buddy Scotty/Rydnseek has the same camera with solid mount, side of helmet. Check out some of his stuff & see what you think, might help with sound also. Great job.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Another DirtKlod route. I can make tracks of that one too. Thanks!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Paloma Paul
Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer: 385

Thanks for the clear/concise report. I love the maps, gives me lots and lots of possibilities!
Paloma Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,236
Nice

Hey Durtklod, I see you have more tie downs on the rear bag......what do you think of the Montana?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
Thanks for the clear/concise report. I love the maps, gives me lots and lots of possibilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19willys51 View Post
If you ever wanna take some wicked rides up north a bit, gimme a holler!
I'll keep you in mind. I don't usually get out during the weekends 'cause of family stuff and usually only get to go play while the kids are in school so my ride times are limited but every so often, there is an exception here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Great first video. I think solid mount just slightly better. My buddy Scotty/Rydnseek has the same camera with solid mount, side of helmet. Check out some of his stuff & see what you think, might help with sound also. Great job.
Thanks Tom. I changed the camera today to a solid mount on top of the helmet. Unfortunately, I mounted it too far forwards and it points closer down than I thought it would right in front of the front tire. I've already taken it off and remounted it but need to go for another test ride to see if I got it right. I will definitely PM Rydnseek for mic help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Hey Durtklod, I see you have more tie downs on the rear bag......what do you think of the Montana?
You like that? I never got around to re-sewing the straps on from the last ride and so just cinched it down with a tie down strap and a bungee. Looks like a redneck job but it works till I can fix it right or come up with a different solution. Beats going out without any of my emergency stuff!
I'm loving the Montana 'cept I don't have the mounts for it yet so for now, it rides in my jacket pocket and I pull it out when needed.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Took another ride more or less in the same area today. I was trying to connect Cow Creek road to Table Mesa just below Black Canyon city but I got within a couple miles or so and the whole area is closed off for some kind of riparian preservation. What a waste of good land!
So, instead, I used what little time I had left to make a run up the backside to Crown King. I got quite a ways up before I ran out and had to turn 'round. That's a gnarly 'ol booger. One of these days I'll have to find the time to complete that run.

Turnoff rock to Crown King...

Road up... or looking back down rather...

Back down at the lake...

I took some more videos but since I screwed up on the camera mount, they focus right out in front of the front wheel and you don't get to see much horizon. Working on that.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here, this one's not too bad. It's hard to tell how steep the road is when you can't see the horizon.
">
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
A+ on your prowess on the KLR. Camera much steadier now. The back road to CrownKing, the road that Mother Nature continually changes. Always fun. Thanks for taking us along
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,839
Did u get z 1080hp (like mine) or z newer one? I use mine on z goggle strap, ( u saw my vids) if u stand riding most of z time you'll barely notice any vibration whether it's on z strap or the solid mount, i personaly prefer z goggle strap cause u can change z angle in split second & once u stopped filming for whatever reason it take another 2 second to remove it. Remember u still need another camera behind u to film u doing ur stunts .
DR650SEDDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, it's a 1080. Now I just need to figure out how to edit the video. Trouble is, my computer is so old that I can't watch the videos 'till I upload 'em to youtube. I see that youtube has some video editing functions though. I'll have to mess around with 'em and see what I can do.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Yep, it's a 1080. Now I just need to figure out how to edit the video. Trouble is, my computer is so old that I can't watch the videos 'till I upload 'em to youtube. I see that youtube has some video editing functions though. I'll have to mess around with 'em and see what I can do.
I use Vholdr site, don't like youtube that much...
DR650SEDDY is online now   Reply With Quote