Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,390
So Chris, what exactly is the damage and what parts need to be replaced?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
If the sprocket on the back of the outer basket isn´t damaged this might be an option on buying a sturdier basket while you are at it:

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/LC8Basket.html

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #33
Gluaisrothaí
Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer: 547
Lockwire

Those HH bolts on the clutch basket are possibly a candidate for lockwiring. Anyone done this?
2010 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams
2013 Tesla Model S 85kWh
Gluaisrothaí is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #34
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,933
Very sad to see anyone have bike failures.

If you are willing to try and fix this yourself, I might be able to help.

I have most of these parts in stock. I carry spares at my shop incase something like this would ever happen to me or someone I'm traveling w/. You sure know that the Local KTM dealer won't have it in stock, let alone in the country for these parts.

Email me your list of parts that you need. I'll see what I have in stock, NEW and USED to get you rolling again.

I ship to Australia almost every week.

We'll get you rolling again one way or another for less than $2500 .

Look at it as a chance to learn something new about your bike. It's a great bike, don't let a little bolt get you down. I cut my bike in half and still found a way to put it back together.

Cheers Mate.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,847
Hell there aren't number 2 main bearings Australia at the moment.

Aus parts prices are still ~ 2X dearer the US ones, despite the strength of our dollar. KTM have told me this going to change but not for another 4 months or so.

OP order the parts and fix it yourself. These is pretty straight forward repair. Should take no longer that an hour or two with the right tools.

Almost easier than an oil change.
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.605127,152.924848
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
@ CJ Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Very sad to see anyone have bike failures.

If you are willing to try and fix this yourself, I might be able to help.

I have most of these parts in stock. I carry spares at my shop incase something like this would ever happen to me or someone I'm traveling w/. You sure know that the Local KTM dealer won't have it in stock, let alone in the country for these parts.

Email me your list of parts that you need. I'll see what I have in stock, NEW and USED to get you rolling again.

I ship to Australia almost every week.

We'll get you rolling again one way or another for less than $2500 .

Look at it as a chance to learn something new about your bike. It's a great bike, don't let a little bolt get you down. I cut my bike in half and still found a way to put it back together.

Cheers Mate.
Thanks
I have contacted Ardie already via email (he is you rep in Oz right?)
I am interested in the Packages with the Rekluse Clutch. However, when i talked to Joe at Rekluse he stated the z-start pro was discontinued and a new model would be out in Feb. The new model requires the removal of 3 frcition plates to install but then uses most of the OEM clutch parts.

If I have to go with a full OEM clutch then the parts are what I posted earlier (see below) The Part numbers didn't always align with the microfiche but the text descriptions were consistent. Some items can only be bought as assemblies from KTM ie Clutch Hub (item 21 on the microfiche) and consists of the basket gear and springs etc. This one is the most expensive.

I am happy to correspond with yourself or Ardie and see wht you have got in stock.

Cheers
Attached Images

Chrisgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #37
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,933
Hi Chris,

Yes, Ardie is my rep in Aus, but I don't think he has these parts in stock.

Let's take this to emails, It's easier for me to send you info.

I don't have my Billet baskets ready yet, but I'd be interested in giving you some credit for your destroyed basket to help out. Or anyone else out there too.

Thanks.
cj
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #38
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Chris, i am still trying to get a grasp on what exactly the damage is. That pressure plate looks completely serviceable to me and I assume that all the internal plates would be unaffected. How has the basket been destroyed? Is the gear on the back damaged? Or was the bolt post broken off?

I just don't see from here how this needs to be a really expensive repair.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
DRipp
Stu's cousin Darryl

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
The exact same thing happened on my 05.5 950 (after I had sold it), I was riding with the new owner.

He just laid it over on the dirt, yanked the cover, found the problem and removed the bolt, put it back together and continued on his way, fixed it when he got home.

When you have a bike that is 4-5 years old and has been ridden off road (let's be honest, these bikes just beg to be flogged), you are going to have breakdowns. It's inevitable.

What you do when you have a breakdown is entirely up to you.
Heck, I enjoy trailside repair*. A little bit of adversity reveals a lot about a person, I reckon.

My friends and I just fix it and get on with it.

* More so when it's not my bike.
Finished the weekend, rode it home. Replaced the bolts .99 ea KTM and the springs with Barnetts off fleabay, KTM wanted 10.99 ea. Didnt cost more than 40.00 total, never missed a minute of riding.
Hiking is just walking where you can piss when you want.
DRipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #40
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
I had the same thing happen on my 1980 KTM175GS. Just as I jumped a stream mid enduro...... I removed the screw and finished the race.

..... but I recon I will go check my 990 later :)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #41
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Chris, i am still trying to get a grasp on what exactly the damage is. That pressure plate looks completely serviceable to me and I assume that all the internal plates would be unaffected. How has the basket been destroyed? Is the gear on the back damaged? Or was the bolt post broken off?

I just don't see from here how this needs to be a really expensive repair.
It is because how the parts are packaged and configured by KTM. The basket has several posts missing and is no good. The clutch cover is cracked in several places. KTM will not just sell you a basket. You need to buy a whole assembly (item 21 on Microfiche posted earlier). That coupled with the prices in Australia are hiked up compared to the US all jacks up the cost.

I dont like putting damaged or stressed parts back into a bike. I am and aerospace engineer. When parts start letting go at 10,000rpm its not pretty. If its going to be repaired then I'll do it right. Plus I want to enjoy the riding and not have the nagging feeling in the back of my head wondering if the parts or repair will hold. I am planning to do some desert work and it will be just me and the missus. The missus doesn't appreciate it when we breakdown in the middle of whop whop. That alone is worth making it as good as new, rather than increasing a risk of mechanical failure. Sure I could do a half arsed cowboy repair and act like a hero, but I prefer to do it right, boring as that may be.
Chrisgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #42
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Surely you can find some used LC8 parts on Ebay? any 950/990 SM, SD, SMR etc
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #43
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgray View Post
It is because how the parts are packaged and configured by KTM. The basket has several posts missing and is no good. The clutch cover is cracked in several places. KTM will not just sell you a basket. You need to buy a whole assembly (item 21 on Microfiche posted earlier). That coupled with the prices in Australia are hiked up compared to the US all jacks up the cost.

I dont like putting damaged or stressed parts back into a bike. I am and aerospace engineer. When parts start letting go at 10,000rpm its not pretty. If its going to be repaired then I'll do it right. Plus I want to enjoy the riding and not have the nagging feeling in the back of my head wondering if the parts or repair will hold. I am planning to do some desert work and it will be just me and the missus. The missus doesn't appreciate it when we breakdown in the middle of whop whop. That alone is worth making it as good as new, rather than increasing a risk of mechanical failure. Sure I could do a half arsed cowboy repair and act like a hero, but I prefer to do it right, boring as that may be.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #44
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,302
I'll be pulling mine and applying Loctite. I'm sure they're fine, but I don't want any problems on the trail miles from nowhere. Thanks for the heads up!
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #45
lrd2sea
Turned orange,...

Oddometer: 45
Bad luck it seems, though debatable.

KTM has no excuse not to take care of its customers, especially for a bike marketed as some tough travel-around-the-world work horse. Where ever the shop happened to be, it's KTM certified/authorised dealer. That ought to mean something.
10 n/m reads the same on the torque wrench what ever language one's using. If it's not torqued accordingly, it's the fault of the KTM service centre in Chile, and ultimately it's KTM's responsibility to stand behind its trained technicians.

Regarding the stories of fixing it on the road or whatever solutions these tough guys/manly men happened to be able to muster at that specific moment, bravo. I don't see a point rubbing it in to a fellow rider who tried to alert us of the misery he experienced.

09 990 SM
09 F 650 GS twin (Sold)
lrd2sea is offline   Reply With Quote