ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
'

'

iDave screwed with this post 05-17-2005 at 06:33 PM
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
C2W
Semi-Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
I think so. I rode solo Sat and Sun. Just cruising around the VA foothills. On Sunday, I reverted back to my sportbike days, and hunted down squids at Thornton Gap. On my V-Strom. The trees are flowering with with a renewed life cycle, and in a sense, we all are. Enjoy the year people. Ride safe. Don't be a statistic this year. Cheers. Dave
Dave you got no business being that "happy"...Get out in the garage and change out that chain.........

Did much the same here in San Diego this weekend........Just gotta SMILE and go ride!
C2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
The trees are flowering with with a renewed life cycle, and in a sense, we all are. Enjoy the year people. Ride safe. Don't be a statistic this year. Cheers. Dave
Amen, brother.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
Amen, brother.
Same thoughts were in my head riding NH & VT on my RT sat. Then dirt back roads today on KLR. Every bike owner was out riding.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Its great! I carved corners, rode through flowering trees and on some smooth blacktop.........

then I got back to reality and continued to mow the lawn
4SEVEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
Amen, brother.
Spring Fever and luvin' it
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
already a statistic this year.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSPACE
Me too, so let's keep smiling and tell them all to fuck off!

All yous fuck off!

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndSPACE
On the Tiger?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
What a day Sunday was. Spring is finally here. Took 66 to 647 (picturesque ) to 522 to 211 (few nice curves leading to Skyline Drive) to Skyline. Had to pass a few cages on Skyline on the double yellow to enjoy the ride though.

Made mental note to self: Winter has gotten me a little rusty. Felt less confident riding for the first few hours.

I saw a black 650 V-Strom riding with a red Ducati (?) up and down 211 - could that be xsquiggy I wonder ?
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Ah hah,,,,proof I WAS chasing down squids on 211 ,,,that was me . I saw you parked on the side talking on your cell phone,,,,,always nice to see another V-Strom 650. I would make a run up the mountain, run back down, and wait for more squids ride by, repeat. It's been a long time since I've had such fun finding the limits of the Anakees .
I'll help you with that, come on down any time!

Old 04-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Steverino, within the next 2k miles, I'll be changing tires, sprockets, chain, brake pads,,,after that, I plan to do some longer rides, and Christiansburg and surrounding areas is top on the list. I'd like to ride again, but you gotta promise to stop the Ducati at stop signs so I can catch up.
The duck is slower than the GS with my fat ass on it. At least until Lindeman Egineering does shock and fork work on it.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #13
strommer
Ride for balance

Sloooow Skyline

Quote:
Ah hah,,,,proof I WAS chasing down squids on 211 ,,,that was me . I saw you parked on the side talking on your cell phone,,,,,always nice to see another V-Strom 650. I would make a run up the mountain, run back down, and wait for more squids ride by, repeat. It's been a long time since I've had such fun finding the limits of the Anakees .
Yep, that was me, talking to my R1150R riding buddy who actually skipped riding in that weather to go have brunch with a girl he just met, can you believe it ?

I was calling him to tell him where I was and how the riding was and in response I listened to the silence of a deeply depressed man on the other end. First thing this morning he comes in the office and asks me how the rest of the riding went and wants to hear more. I just grinned.

Which brings me to another question for anyone with some experience; I have moved to this region not too long ago and am not sure as to what LEOs allow (meaning what they don’t ticket) on Skyline. That is a nice road but I feel it requires speeds well above the posted limit and the occasional passing on double yellow if you don’t want to fall asleep. Will they tolerate 60 mph for example? I understand the double yellow will not be forgiven.

Any advice or experience ?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #14
strommer
Ride for balance

"Do yourself a huge favor,,,,,,,DONT SPEED IN FAIRFAX COUNTY. It's THE Worst county in the freakin' USA to get popped for a traffic violation. My last infraction there cost over $2500 (including attorney's, fines, driving school, blah blah blah) and I still ended up with a wreckless fu@%ing bullshit ticket.[/QUOTE]

Holly s@!t 2500 bucks ….Well I already made the Fairfax experience 2 months ago and know what you are saying about them being really keen on writing tickets. I got pulled over in my car for a 43 in a 25. Did not contest it because…well, it was true. I told him that was my first ticket ever etc. (easy when you have been in the US for only 18 months) but he would not let me off. 146 Bucks. Funny thing is it was almost like they had set up a shop there, in the 5 minutes I was waiting for the ticket to be written they pulled over 3 more cars, one was a soccer mom and the other an elderly gentleman.

As a father myself I’m not in favor of inner city and suburb speeding or anything and truly reckless driving should be punished regardless but aren’t some of the speed limits here a little out of touch with the capabilities of modern braking systems and road engineering. Some of the limits on open roads are just unrealistic and few abide by them as I saw on 66 yesterday. Most were driving over 70 and quite a few at 80. Why not post a realistic limit and truly enforce it ?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #15
strommer
Ride for balance

Revenue indeed.

LEO's or not, it was a great day to ride.