Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #31
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

Jim
It makes sense to me, when you are going 11/10ths the crash is going to be a lot different than if you are going 3/10ths or 7/10ths or whatever.

I'll wear whatever around town because I'm riding at well below the halfway mark and at speeds where I don't necessarily want to experience abrupt deceleration but have gone down enough on bicycles at the same speeds that doing the same in jeans or even baggy shorts and cowboy or hiking boots respectively isn't that big of a deal to me. Road rash and bruises at 45 and below don't bother me, that has been happening since I got my first bike with training wheels. As to impact I don't personally feel that pads or gear outside of a helmet and braces protect you from serious injury, only discomfort.

When I'm venturing above 45mph or know I'm going to be pushing it I'll gear up to the level I feel is appropriate so as to keep any epidural injuries to an acceptable level, all the fancy power ranger suits in the world aren't going to save you from a spiral fracture or a torn ligament or serious internal bleeding.

Those are the things I'm most concerned about and have been down enough to know that sometimes you walk away from the most hainus get offs unscathed and other become seriously injured goofing off. That being said I don't want my skin being ground to the bone or otherwise removed in large quantities so I'll do what I can to prevent it whether it is maintaining a reasonable pace or putting on gear.

In either case the only difference wearing some nylon or leather is going to make when it comes to life(style) changing injuries is how hard they have to work at the ER to cut it off. YMMV and to each their own, and I won't push my views on anyone, these are merely my thoughts on the matter.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
...but to wear full gear on a sport bike, and no gear on a cruiser, is simply wearing gear as a fashion statement, posing.
Yes, because wearing different gear for different types of riding cannot be anything but posing.

The self-righteousness of some of you guys amazes me.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
whatever happened to men?

guys used to drink real tequila and talk about sports.

now guys drink poser tequila and talk about what? hair tinting?

Exactly what do you use to tint your hair? How long after tinting is it safe to put on a helmet? Also, do you know of any tint that also helps prevent helmet hair? Can someone tint their hair and still be ATGATT or would they be ATTATT (All The Tint, All The Time).

Inquiring minds want to know.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,363
Quote:
Let me ask you a question? Were you wanting discussion, or validation?

Yes, it is that simple to me. If he dresses to match the bike, he is posing! That has nothing to do with whether or not he can ride, does ride, rides a little or a lot.

Jim

PS Nice creative change of your first post!
Thanks Jim

That explanation makes sense and I now see where your coming from.

I don't need a validation and was looking more for a discussion.

Personally, I dress somewhat according to the style of bike I'm riding so maybe by your defination I am a poser and I can accept that but I validate it more according to the level of "perceived" risk.

While riding my cruiser I tend to ride slower and less aggressively than when on previous and current non-cruiser bikes. Someone following me who wants to pass in the twisties very well may assume (by my dress and pace) that I'm the sterotypical slow cruiser rider with poor skills when that is simply not the case.

If I know I will be riding more aggressively, I will gear up more and I suspect a lot of guys do this as shown in the posted link. Is this a smart way to ride? Probably not but it's our choice.

Just thought the Jekyll and Hyde description from the BMW guy was cool and wondered what others think.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
It makes sense to me, when you are going 11/10ths the crash is going to be a lot different than if you are going 3/10ths or 7/10ths or whatever.

I'll wear whatever around town because I'm riding at well below the halfway mark and at speeds where I don't necessarily want to experience abrupt deceleration but have gone down enough on bicycles at the same speeds that doing the same in jeans or even baggy shorts and cowboy or hiking boots respectively isn't that big of a deal to me. Road rash and bruises at 45 and below don't bother me, that has been happening since I got my first bike with training wheels. As to impact I don't personally feel that pads or gear outside of a helmet and braces protect you from serious injury, only discomfort.

When I'm venturing above 45mph or know I'm going to be pushing it I'll gear up to the level I feel is appropriate so as to keep any epidural injuries to an acceptable level, all the fancy power ranger suits in the world aren't going to save you from a spiral fracture or a torn ligament or serious internal bleeding.

Those are the things I'm most concerned about and have been down enough to know that sometimes you walk away from the most hainus get offs unscathed and other become seriously injured goofing off. That being said I don't want my skin being ground to the bone or otherwise removed in large quantities so I'll do what I can to prevent it whether it is maintaining a reasonable pace or putting on gear.

In either case the only difference wearing some nylon or leather is going to make when it comes to life(style) changing injuries is how hard they have to work at the ER to cut it off. YMMV and to each their own, and I won't push my views on anyone, these are merely my thoughts on the matter.
+1

This one sums up how I make gear choices.

I don't worry so much about road rash, its survivable.

I worry more about blunt force trauma and spinal cord injuries, of which gloves, boots, and textile/leather with armor don't do much to mitigate.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
Yes, because wearing different gear for different types of riding cannot be anything but posing.

The self-righteousness of some of you guys amazes me.
Because we all know that crashing on a cruiser at 35mph hurts and does less damage than crashing on a sport bike at 35mph (typical speed when going fast on tight twisties).

Jim

PS As I said before, I couldn't care less if you ride with or without gear. I was simply answering the OP's question. I do not always wear gear, except a helmet, my choice.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #37
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Quote:
PS As I said before, I couldn't care less if you ride with or without gear. I was simply answering the OP's question. I do not always wear gear, except a helmet, my choice.
The broader question is not what gear one wears... but if one chooses to wear different gear with different styles of bikes (and god forbid with loud pipes) can he do so without being labled a poser.

By your defination he can't, by mine he can.

Just wondering how others see it.

If that guy in the pic on the chopper rode by with loud pipes and no gear how many here would think to themselves....he's pos poser. But when the same guy rode by in full gear on a sport bike would those same guys be calling him a poser? I don't think so.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
SureRide
Banned

Oddometer: 793
Sure as long as you are ATGATT the day you know when the mishap is going to happen.
SureRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
who gives a fuck?
^^^^^This.^^^^^^
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #40
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
I ride what most (if not all) of you would consider to be ATGATT.

My gear is first and foremost for the elements. I like to be comfortable when I ride and being comfortable has the added bonus of limiting distractions. Padding / Road Rash protection is secondary and if you ever saw my gear you would know that Fashion is at the bottom of the list. (it ain't pretty)

I have owned and or ridden just about every make model and type of bike there is.
While I do not own a pair of assless chaps, I did have a Half helmet and do have Black leather over pants and Black leather Jackets. If I am going to be riding feet forward bikes I would tend to go to that if it is weather appropriate.

Wearing all Black leather I guess is what most would call dressing as a Pirate. That said I believe that you would be pleasantly surprised to see just how many Harley riders come to where I work in full gear… And even more surprised at how many show up wearing Hi-viz anti-pirate gear.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 07:27 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
If the guy is telling others to be ATGATT, yet doesn't wear it himself, he's a hypocryte. If he just wants to match his clothes to his bike, maybe he's a poser, but he can do whatever he wants.

When I go to the hot rod show in a muscle car, I often wear hot rod t-shirts. Whenever I get on the bike, I wear everything I've got, so that's ATGATT for me even though the only riding pants I have are flannel lined Carhartt jeans.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #42
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
I think the Aerostich Transit Suit would fit the billet for both scenarios.

Riceman
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #43
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
I worry more about blunt force trauma and spinal cord injuries, of which gloves, boots, and textile/leather with armor don't do much to mitigate.
a back protector will.

knee armor will mitigate breaking your knee cap (which certainly can be a life altering injury).

shattered ankles, broken feet, torn achilles, torn plantar, etc. can be also definitely be life altering injuries. shattered elbows...

i have a nagging shoulder injury that has affected my quality of life at times for over 10 years. i got it by having my shoulder driven into the ground without any kind of padding/armor on it (while playing sports). i've driven my shoulders into the ground wearing armor while dirt biking many times. never had any injury as a result.

body armor definitely does help mitigate life altering impact injuries...certainly not all of them, but definitely some.

having said that...i think people should wear whatever the hell they want to wear.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #44
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
I think the Aerostich Transit Suit would fit the billet for both scenarios.

Riceman
Or Harleys own FXRG jacket and pants.......excellant, if not the best of gear.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #45
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I really don't care what kind of gear he wears, it's his ass on the line.

The thing that bugs me is that he's on the track on a 1000cc rocket bike with "traction control working hard".

If your traction control is working hard, your throttle control needs to work a lot harder. Squid Crutch? Maybe a few seasons on a 250 Ninja would be a smarter use of track days than riding an S1000rr.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote