ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Help Needed: Need a DC / Upper VA Inmate To Check a Bike For Me

All:

Am trying to work a deal to buy a 95 PD in Fairfax, VA. Seller and I have agreed on price but insists that I, or my proxy, come check it out in person before we seal the deal. I cannot fly east right now due to work. My old hiking/riding partner lives a bit too far away.

Bike is in Fairfax, VA. I'm looking for someone to meet the seller, eyeball the bike, start it, stop it, maybe up and down the driveway, and give me a Yes/No/Maybe decision. Oh, maybe examine the title and records. The usual stuff.

Seller works at home most of the time so meeting with him should be easy. I just don't know anyone that lives close enough.

Anyone?

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
shaner1100gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Oddometer: 152
You might want to give George a call at Beemers Uber Alles. http://beemersuberalles.com/
He's a former Mech. at http://www.mortonsbmw.com/
He's also in the local BMW club http://www.bmwbmw.org/
I think Bill is in the local club too.

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
All:

Am trying to work a deal to buy a 95 PD in Fairfax, VA. Seller and I have agreed on price but insists that I, or my proxy, come check it out in person before we seal the deal. I cannot fly east right now due to work. My old hiking/riding partner lives a bit too far away.

Bike is in Fairfax, VA. I'm looking for someone to meet the seller, eyeball the bike, start it, stop it, maybe up and down the driveway, and give me a Yes/No/Maybe decision. Oh, maybe examine the title and records. The usual stuff.

Seller works at home most of the time so meeting with him should be easy. I just don't know anyone that lives close enough.

Anyone?

Tom
shaner1100gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
DCrider
Live from THE Hill
 
DCrider's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 4,011
or pm JimVonBaden
__________________
ADV'ing from America's fine Crapital...
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
or pm JimVonBaden
Thanks DC. I PM'd Jim (I don't know him) and will see how that goes since he is an inmate.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 02:55 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner1100gs View Post
You might want to give George a call at Beemers Uber Alles. http://beemersuberalles.com/
He's a former Mech. at http://www.mortonsbmw.com/
He's also in the local BMW club http://www.bmwbmw.org/
I think Bill is in the local club too.

Shane
Shane:

Just called and left a message for George. This might actually be the best approach as the bike will need a spline lube at a minimum if I am going to ride it home in April. If I ship it, I can do it here. If George can be hired to do the Pre-Inspection I think it will make the seller and me both happy.

Thanks for the referral. Google Maps shows about 14 miles from Manassas to Fairfax.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
shaner1100gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Oddometer: 152
I know Jim. He lives in that general area. He probably knows Bill Shaw or has meet him. Jim had a R65 at one point so he might know a little about airheads.

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Shane:

Just called and left a message for George. This might actually be the best approach as the bike will need a spline lube at a minimum if I am going to ride it home in April. If I ship it, I can do it here. If George can be hired to do the Pre-Inspection I think it will make the seller and me both happy.

Thanks for the referral. Google Maps shows about 14 miles from Manassas to Fairfax.

Tom

shaner1100gs screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 03:20 PM
shaner1100gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner1100gs View Post
I know Jim. He lives in that general area. He probably knows Bill Shaw or has meet him. Jim had a R65 at one point so he might know a little about airheads.

Shane
Shane:

Doesn't owning an R65 indicate there may be other, say, larger, issues?

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Shane:

Doesn't owning an R65 indicate there may be other, say, larger, issues?

Tom
Hey, now.



__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Hey, now.



Ssssshhhh, I was waiting for Wirespokes to show up....

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,206
I can go look at it first thing Sat. morning if you want. I'm not an air head expert at all (have only ridden three of them, and none a PD), but am local (for a short while anyway). I wouldn't be around enough to help with the transaction beyond riding over, checking it out and letting you know what I observe. You'd be better off with JBV if he's available.
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Did someone say that the bike is owned by Bill Shaw?
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage
 
squiffynimrod's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Flatskatchewan
Oddometer: 1,181
Tom, are you keeping the turquoise one? Or adding a stablemate?

Steve
__________________
CLICK THIS THREAD
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017669
CLICK IT!
BECAUSE IT'S SECRET SANTA TIME!!
squiffynimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Did someone say that the bike is owned by Bill Shaw?
Wire:

Yes, it is Bill's bike. His ad from IBMWR is here where you can see his real name. We've spoken twice and emailed about a dozen times.

Do you know him?

Tom


===========================

1995 R100GSPD (Northern VA)

This is a 1995 R100GSPD that I purchased new in March 1996. The short story is I stored it in my (heated) basement in December 2002 in preparation for riding in the 2003 and 2005 Iron Butt Rallies. It doesn’t fit with my riding style these days so it’s time to pass it on someone else.

With the exception of a braided front brake line, Runnin’ Lights and a Motorrad Elektrik Omega Diode Board, this bike is 100% stock. I have a full and documented maintenance history since it rolled off the dealer floor. The Avon Gripsters have 1,200 miles on them. The stock seat and rear shock were only used for about 600 miles (I bought a Corbin seat and Fox shock shortly after the first service) and are now back on the bike. It has every option available including a BMW GS clock (bet you’ve never seen one of those before), saddlebags, heated grips, and a Multivario tank bag.

With a little work, this bike can be ridden around the world or, conversely, entered in a motorcycle concours d’elegance event (cosmetically, it is near perfect - the aluminum engine cases and drivetrain are as bright as when the bike was new). I have three other bikes so I’m not interested in any trades.

Asking - $10,880 (I’d like to try to recoup my purchase price)Mileage – 14,556 R100GSPD

Price: $10,880

Location: Northern Virginia

Contact: Bill Shaw

Telephone: 703-860-2434

Posted Monday, January 02, 2012 at 2:43 pm (EST)

Direct link to this Ad: http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/view/id/195032
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
Tom, are you keeping the turquoise one? Or adding a stablemate?

Steve
I am keeping the Teal bike at least for now. Also keeping my old 2004 KTM 950. Trying to close the deal on the Red 95.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I can go look at it first thing Sat. morning if you want. I'm not an air head expert at all (have only ridden three of them, and none a PD), but am local (for a short while anyway). I wouldn't be around enough to help with the transaction beyond riding over, checking it out and letting you know what I observe. You'd be better off with JBV if he's available.
Bike:

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to see if I can get George from Beemers Uber Alles to do the job. If not I will PM you.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014