Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
r1200gs_chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Thanks for all the info. How long should I plan to get from Deal's Gap to Charlottesville on the BRP. Is this a solid 2 day trip or can I make it in 1 long day? Google tell's me it's 526 miles which is very doable in one day, but what is the average speed I should expect to do on the BRP?
r1200gs_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200gs_chris View Post
Thanks for all the info. How long should I plan to get from Deal's Gap to Charlottesville on the BRP. Is this a solid 2 day trip or can I make it in 1 long day? Google tell's me it's 526 miles which is very doable in one day, but what is the average speed I should expect to do on the BRP?

I'd say 2 days. Maybe 3 days if it's a weekend. 45 mph is the speed limit, which gets pretty boring after a 100 miles or so.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
bigdog1807
Miles Craven

Oddometer: 135
The BRP has a 45mph or less speed limit for 485 miles and you don't want a ticket on it. Federal Park = big fines. If you ride your 12GS like me, it'll get old on the BRP. Tons of other great roads along the way; DO NOT MISS THE SNAKE. Someone else mentioned it earlier and it's better than the DRAGON. Hopefully you can catch the twisties mid week or you might be on a curvy parking lot. The best thing I found on the TAT were the photog's that will sell you a cool pic' of yourself to add to your 'trophy room'. Have fun.
bigdog1807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
r1200gs_chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, is the BRP a must-do or would I be happy doing a few hundred miles and then hitting the super slab? I would like to ride through a few tunnels but don't want to regret missing the experience. I do have come time constraints to deal with. Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,109
I've ridden the BRP twice on bikes and a few months ago in our long RV.
I was bringing my FJR home from Florida on my last trip there on a bike. First I rode the Dragon and headed to the parkway. When I arrived at the Mt. Pisgah Lodge (near the south end) for the night the forecast had turned to crap for a week starting in 24 hours. I called my wife the next morning and she suggested I slab it the 907 miles home to beat the terrible forecast. I didn't listen. Instead I rode the parkway got to the end by dinner. Skipped Skyline Drive and rode on to home in central NY.
I love the parkway and intend to ride it again in two months when I bring home my Ural.
I'd say you got tons of good advice from all the previous posters. Personally, if you're really that pressed for time I'd do the BRP on the way home so you can then decide if you have the time to do the entire thing. You're honestly only talking about a few extra hours to ride the entire beautiful parkway as opposed to cutting off it and doing 200 miles of the distance on the highway. Do the whole thing. I do every time.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #21
r1200gs_chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. I'm going to stick with my plan and ride the whole BRP. If time gets tight I'll detour and make a run for the border on the super slab. I'd like to do the BRP to NYC via Delaware so I can make a pitstop at Katz's for lunch on my final day.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #22
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Just sayin...

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to stick with my plan and ride the whole BRP. If time gets tight I'll detour and make a run for the border on the super slab. I'd like to do the BRP to NYC via Delaware so I can make a pitstop at Katz's for lunch on my final day.
Just something to think about....when you get on the BRP at waynesboro and point the bike south the next stop sign is 469 miles away.
The BRP is a road to be experienced.....45 is about right speed any faster you miss a lot of the scenery.
This is my personal opinion about the dragon.......ride it down, ride back up, get the t-shirt and the sticker and ride on down the road, you will have a hard time finding a boring road in this area.
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
PLRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Like was mentioned before Skyline dr and BRP is a must, remember about gas. There is 1 gas station in Shenandoah NP and no on BRP itself, and exits are not often....Stay at Ironhorse http://ironhorsenc.com/ really nice place.
Enjoy
PLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
watching this thread intently

I'm planning a very similar trip in July, but from WI

Any opinions/ info on highway 28 the "Hellbender"?

jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #25
r1200gs_chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hellbender?

More info please?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Boy did I kill this thread!

jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #27
r1200gs_chris OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ha, I keep getting mixed messages on the BRP. Some people say 'ride it!' and others say '10 hours of 45 mph driving , no gas stations, and huge speeding tickets'. Going to play this one by ear. Probably ride a bit on the BRP and then take some of the secondary roads continuing east/north-east. Trip is still 2 months away so plenty of time for the flame war to rage. I have heard some nice things about riding up thru Delaware. Anybody have any advice on riding up thru Delaware to NYC?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #28
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Ha, I keep getting mixed messages on the BRP. Some people say 'ride it!' and others say '10 hours of 45 mph driving , no gas stations, and huge speeding tickets'.

Ride it. Gorgeous scenery, and in many of the twisties you couldn't safely be doing much more than 45 anyway.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #29
MSTEEL
MSTEEL

Oddometer: 29
I live in Gouverneur, NY, about 80 miles southeast of Ottawa. You'll drive by my house. Don't take 11 to 81 though New York. Go east and down through the Adirondacks. If you don't have time to do that, hug the St. Lawrence River until you get Near Rochester then south through the Finger Lakes. Very little traffic. It won't take much more time and will be worth it.

Spring is a busy time for me. If it wasn't, I'd go with you. Beep when you go by.
MSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #30
Daners5150
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Your routes look pretty good. Just a word of warning, most of the counties in southern and southwestern Virginia derive quite a bit of money from speeding tickets. It is no joke, and beware in Botetourt (bot-a-tot) county. Actually, anywhere along the I-81 corridor is bad and the cops love out of state plates. The whole area is rife with speed traps and you won't get out of the ticket if you get pulled over.

Some things to keep in mind for your travels through VA:

1) 15 mph or more over the speed limit is Reckless Driving
2) Anything over 80 mph is Reckless Driving
3) Reckless Driving is a class 4 misdemeanor and punishable by jail time and/or a heavy fine
4) Watch out on I-81, state route 33 and state route 28 - and pretty much all the other fun places to ride

Here's the VA DMV reckless driving website: http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/points_6.asp

They love giving reckless driving tickets because it fuels the economy down there, lawyers, courts, police, the whole nine yards. A reckless driving ticket will put you back $1000 easy, if not more.

Be careful, watch your speed and enjoy the scenery. There are so many cool places out that way, if you have a chance, go to/stay in Floyd, VA. It has some great little restaurants and if you're lucky you'll hear some fantastic bluegrass music.
Daners5150 is offline   Reply With Quote