User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
italiano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Airhead brakes help

I have a 78 r 100 with the ATF brakes and the fork that does not support any change on brakes, what is a good brake upgrade that i can do? i really does not want to change fork in order to change calipers, so what other alternatives do i have left? Do you know if i remove the master cylinder under the tank and i install one over the handlebars i will notice any changes?
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
ATE brakes can be improved quite a bit. They will never be great, but decent brakes can be had. The first, and perhaps best modification would be to go with the handle bar mounted master cylinder. I would do this before anything else. A lot of people here have done this, try the searce feature, and see what you can find.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
The under tank master works just fine - the problem is that the ATE brakes were the first discs BMW installed and didn't get the master size correct. They're too large and pump too much all at once. Because of that the leverage is wrong with the lever barely moving before the pistons lock up. The early bar mounted masters were the same. Dual discs work well with a 13 or 14mm master and the singles with a 12. The under tank master for the single disc is perfect for dual discs.

Good, non glazed brake pads, fresh fluid, pads correctly adjusted and everything working freely will make a huge difference.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
bay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
airhead brakes help

hi i have just done this modification myself. all you need is the handlebar mounted master cylinder stainless hoses and good brake pads.spend a little time to bleed the brakes and set the pads level with the discs and there great
bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
italiano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Used parts? Were?

Were did you buy your master cilinder ?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,158
Be specific people! Years and models to steal from?
IIRC Johnnycash (inmate) did a conversion with a Magura radial MC with some mods to his perches.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
Any of the airheads from 81 till 95 except the G/S and 100R used the same controls, so the switches will mount right on. The early R65 controls and the post 85 airheads had two throttle cables exiting the control where the 81-4 only had one. The single disc system worked best with a 12mm master (the smallest size, I believe) and the dual with a 13 or 14.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Reynard38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I went with Spiegler semi floating rotors on my '88 R100RS. That with some good pads and stainless lines and it really does stop well. Also the lever is very hard. Its very easy to modulate the brakes now.
You send your existing rotors and carriers to Spiegler. They cut the old rotors off and install the new ones on your carriers.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
trophymoto
MACDADDY!

Oddometer: 444
ferodo platinum pads!!!!!!!!! part# fdb155..no shit! http://www.vintagebrake.com/ has them ,and some other info on just this subject.
trophymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,342
The 81-84 R100's had the 15mm mc. I replaced mine with a 13mm from the later R80 mono. Much better feel, and slightly longer lever travel allows a more progressive feedback to the brake.

The ATE's benefit from the mc being loosened from the frame and tilted a little to allow for easier and better bleeding of the air from the system.

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 04:08 AM
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
italiano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

were to buy ?

were can i buy a hb master cylinder in order to replace the under tank mc?

after reading a lot on this topics it seem that it can be ether 13 or 14 mm.

can i go with a used ones? were to buy it?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post

http://www.motobins.co.uk/

A used one could work, but you'd want to dismantle and check the bore for corrosion first...or risk it.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
The disks have to be really good and flat, particularly the rear of the disk, for the ATE calipers to be setup properly.

I have a 78 R100/7 thats been converted to a Brembo braked front end. The Brembos always feel wooden and lack feel but they are consistent and easy to work on. To be honest I prefered the ATE setup with a handlebar master cylinder that I had on my RS for feel and didn't feel the brakes performed and worse than the Brembos. They did need the cash throwing at them though to convert to the handelbar kit and buy decent disks.
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Big John Sny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I converted to brembos. It transformed the bike. I ran the single brembo in it till I got a second disc and it was better with the under tank master than my single ATE was. Now with the entire set up from the 82 RT (including handlebar master) it stops well. Not modern sportbike well, but much better than it did and as good or better than many bikes I have ridden. I commute in heavy traffic so I do not think I could have justified continuing to commute on this bike if it had not made such an improvement. I had gotten to feel the complete capability (or lack thereof) to many times. The real difference is pulling it down quickly from freeway speed. The old brakes felt ok at lower speeds, but the first time I had someone yank out in front of me on the freeway, I got to feel how wooden they get at that speed. It was progressive to a point but then will not brake any faster no matter how hard you pull on the lever. I have not experienced that in 10,000 since I changed to brembos. Best money I have spent on the bike.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post

You're going to have to use some brainpower on this one! Try your local BMW wrench, here in the flea market, The IBMR board, The MOA Flea Market, there are parts people listed in the "Airmail"....

If you want the parts, you're going to have to expend some time, energy and cash. It's either that or shell out for a new part. Hell, I bought three or four complete Airheads to get the parts I needed to build mine!

PS: A well set-up ATE system is just as good as 80s era Brembos and IMO have better feel. a 14mm HB Master, rebuilt calipers, rebuilt forks SS lines and cleaned up disks will work wonders. When I had both systems in my garage, the ATEs on my /6 were as good as or better than the Brembo's on my RS. I think they're better.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 02:37 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote