ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Vas942 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb 990 with auto throttle, help.

First poster here, been lurking around and searching for answers for a while but with no luck I opted to register and start asking questions.

I recently bought a 08 KTM 990S from a gentleman who assured me I wouldn't have to do anything to it for 15K miles. Well, I'm at about 1K and having issues. Bike has about 22K miles.

First issue is the clutch. Thought it may have been slipping during a mud, snow ride and was confirmed when I got onto tarmac. PO stated he had replaced the "whole clutch" not long before I purchased. I pulled it apart and the basket and inner hub are grooved up. But I've done full clutch replacements before so I'm not too stressed there. Does anyone have a source for aftermarket baskets or hubs? I've only been able to find OEM?

Second issue is the scary one. I assume it may be TPS? There are a few symptoms that have been worsening the past few rides. Maybe the most telling symptom is an automatic throttle. With the throttle fully closed the bike will accelerate at a rate of about 1mph per 1-2 seconds. Disengaging the clutch only soars the revs. This dovetails into another issue. While slowing down for a stop sign (Bike is still auto throttle) disengaged the clutch, the motor did a few slow rev surges..muuh muuuh muuuh then puked out. Refired after a minute or so. It did it one more time yesterday while I was applying brakes with clutch disengaged during auto pilot. I was on a highway sandwiched in between a line of traffic going 60mph. I saw oil pressure light and realized I was dead in the water, pulled off on the shoulder and was able to bump start it.

The other issue involves the bike cutting out while at speed. While riding approx. 60 mph in the RPM range of 3K-4K the motor likes to momentarily cutout. It will to 2-3 stutters then be ok for a minute then 2-3 more. There's no noticeable drop on the tach, but each one is enough to throw me forward in the cockpit slightly. Maybe its best described as a hiccup.

As far as bike details from what I've seen, I think it still has canister in place, no airbox mods, slip on FMF cans- he said he brought the bike back to the stock map because of loss of fuel efficiency.

Thanks for looking and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

-Jordan
Vas942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
fast4d
Banned

Oddometer: 2,481
CJ designs make a upgraded basket.

as for the other issues check out the throttle bodies and wiring from cpu behind head stock. for for damaged wire insulator from chaffing the frame.
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
And all ground connections, both battery connections, hell just everything electrical.

Time to pull the thing apart and take care of the things the PO neglected.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Maoule
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Have you tried a 15 min reset?
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Vas942 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the CJ designs tip!

Pulled the tanks and poked around looking at wiring. I didn't notice anything abnormal or worn insulation. But im used to motocross bikes and am a little overwhelmed by the myriad of wires. Plus electrical stuff has always been a struggle for me.

I did try the 15 min reset and did a test ride, worked good for 5 minutes then back to the symptoms. When bike is in second and is on auto throttle it accelerates from 20mph to 30mph in 4 seconds!

After some more thread searching I think TuneECU and I will have to become friends and a TPS may be in my future. Thanks for the tips gents.

-Jordan
Vas942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #6
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Here is where you look for the broken wires- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958280

I would agree the TPS might need adjusted. The built in search on this site blows, so I use google (advrider, whatever the problem is) and have found a wealth of info that way. Spend some time reading through this, as it will answer a lot of your questions- http://www.ktm950.info/

I'm also just over the border. If you get stuck with something feel free to send me a message.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 258
For the money, I decided to try a clutch kit from Outlaw Racing......that was about 10K mikes ago... I am pretty hard on my clutch with some fairly steep trail work where slipping the clutch is a must.... So far, its held up to all the abuse I can throw at it, and all for less than $90 . Comes with EBC springs. I'd post a link but my phone is not liking the paste button tonight. Search Amazon and it will pop right up

Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
NKL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
First step would be get TuneECU and cable, you can then check your TPS setting, but idle issues can also be caused by badly adjusted throttle cables, another thing these bikes are sensitive to.
If you check them without having TuneECU, make sure you do it with a fully warmed up engine.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
dgjackson40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Searching

For searching just use google and put advrider.com in the search. such as:

advrider.com erratic throttle KTM